Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take them out completely and use nothing if you don’t like changing them every 3 days.
This is the answer. Filter socks are not necessary. Just take them out.

The heavy organics you hope to trap are likely on your sand bed anyway.

Put them in once a week when you clean the tank and stir stuff up

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kfactor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just 3D printed some floss holders

Attachments

• 57A14AB3-107B-44FE-9AD7-C1F63ECBAEAC.jpeg
    57A14AB3-107B-44FE-9AD7-C1F63ECBAEAC.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 20
  • AFFDC13E-9E37-4C1C-A6C1-B75DBCF0FBD1.jpeg
    AFFDC13E-9E37-4C1C-A6C1-B75DBCF0FBD1.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 22

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to like these.
I've been running these for a year or so and love them. Not sure why but my systems run low nutrients so I don't change them untill they are overflowing

Nutramar Foods

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank filter floss is my go to. You still need to swap it out every 2-3 days but it’s a simple throw away/replace rather than having to wash the socks. I spend an hour watching TV cutting every new order to size. Toss it in a box and now it takes seconds to keep mechanical filtration up.

IMO mechanical filtration shouldn’t be replaced. Yes skimmers, refugium, GFO, etc will remove the nutrients once organics break down but being able to remove those organics before they become part of the water Column is easy, cheap, simple, and efficient.

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of constantly changing socks every 2nd or 3rd day, especially since I've been traveling more frequently, sometimes for a week at a time. I am considering replacing my 2 filter socks with 2 filter cups: one for GFO use and another for filtration. I have come across several recommendations, including Filter Floss, poly filter, Polyfil Quilt (Walmart), and filter pad.

1. I would appreciate it if you could recommend the best option for filtration and provide a link to the product.
  2. For my second filter media cup, what is the best way to use GFO? Should I use a sponge or simply place GFO into media bags and then put them in the filter media cup?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Recently I got rid of the cups on a Red Sea reefer and put in a roller mat. Works well and each roll lasts 1 to 3 months, or even more, depending on amount of flow, detritus etc

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am tired of constantly changing socks every 2nd or 3rd day, especially since I've been traveling more frequently, sometimes for a week at a time. I am considering replacing my 2 filter socks with 2 filter cups: one for GFO use and another for filtration. I have come across several recommendations, including Filter Floss, poly filter, Polyfil Quilt (Walmart), and filter pad.

1. I would appreciate it if you could recommend the best option for filtration and provide a link to the product.
  2. For my second filter media cup, what is the best way to use GFO? Should I use a sponge or simply place GFO into media bags and then put them in the filter media cup?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The filter socks we typically buy I thought were good. I had no problem every 3-4 days but it started to get old, so I went on a search. These I found on Amazon after 2 decades of socks are the best ive ever used, last at least a week and come in a 4 pack. I will never use any other socks again

TOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/Overflows​

• TOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/Overflows
Roll over image to zoom in
  • 41DooJH78VL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51buyhQfr2L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51OVvxvGzQL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51AckO2+11L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 512q74iTjcL.SS40_BG85,85,85_BR-120_PKdp-play-icon-overlay__.jpg
    VIDEO

$19.94

• New design of 4 '' aquarium filter sock, new open shape for more comfortable use, anti-overflow design, even if you forget to replace it, will not empty all the debris from the filter bag back into the aquarium. The three-dimensional weaving of this 3d honeycomb design filter sock imitates the nesting of bees.
  • Premium aquarium felt filter bags are designed to drain water. Unlike past aquarium felt filter bags, these aquariums filter sock hives are permeable, non-clogging and flexible enough to be inverted for easy cleaning.
  • This aquarium felt filter bags provide excellent mechanical filtration by trapping debris, helping to reduce the amount of ammonia-producing organic matter in aquariums. This long felt filter socks also help prevent large and small objects such as sand and coral from damaging your aquarium equipment.
  • The sturdy construction and reinforced stitching make these honeycomb filter socks strong and durable, so they can be cleaned and reused many times. You want the best, you have found them. You will receive 4 packs of 4 "x 10" aquarium felt fabric sump filter bag.
  • These filter socks with a 4-inch diameter plastic ring have a three-dimensional weave that simulates bee nesting. Filter cloth sock. Multifunctional interlayer filtration with which you will not worry about the purity of your aquarium water. These 3d woven filter socks are the best purchase for your peace of mind.

Attachments

• 1682205456710.gif
    1682205456710.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 15
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back