Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a strange growth or adhesion to my filefish's mouth this afternoon. As far as I know it wasn't there last night when I fed and she was eating like normal.

From other threads the suggestions seem to be either an injury or some super glue from a drag or rock in the tank?

I don't have any coral frags yet, but I did glue my rocks. The glue in the tank is months old at this point however, so that doesn't seem likely. The end does seem a bit discolored but most of the growth is white.

If it is an injury is there anything I can do?
Could it be something malicious that adhered to her? Should I pull her from the tank and try to remove it? I'm a new reefer and this is my first fish ailment. I don't have a hospital tank set up.

She seems energetic and otherwise normal so I'm guessing I need to be patient but I'm freaking out just a little.

Everything is helpful, thanks.

D354329B-541B-4280-B139-458C7BC2B4FC.jpeg

D8F4824E-FC7E-42E7-A550-B6F764E035D5.jpeg

594F8A37-8CA1-446E-B6D2-379980B3E497.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I noticed a strange growth or adhesion to my filefish's mouth this afternoon. As far as I know it wasn't there last night when I fed and she was eating like normal.

From other threads the suggestions seem to be either an injury or some super glue from a drag or rock in the tank?

I don't have any coral frags yet, but I did glue my rocks. The glue in the tank is months old at this point however, so that doesn't seem likely. The end does seem a bit discolored but most of the growth is white.

Could it be something malicious that adhered to her? Should I pull her from the tank and try to remove it? I'm a new reefer and this is my first fish ailment. I don't have a hospital tank set up.

She seems energetic and otherwise normal so I'm guessing I need to be patient but I'm freaking out just a little.

View attachment 3163221
View attachment 3163224
View attachment 3163225
This is bacterial and may have started with injury and progressed. This is a tricky fish to treat due to response but best course of treatment for this would be Seachem Neoplex, If none, Kanaplex in a quarantine tank with clean water and added aeration with airstone and focus on ammonia level with a reliable test kit.

Is fish eating?
How is breathing rate- normal/rapid?
What is current ammonia and nitrate level?

OP
OP
G

GHogg

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bacterial and may have started with injury and progressed. This is a tricky fish to treat due to response but best course of treatment for this would be Seachem Neoplex, If none, Kanaplex in a quarantine tank with clean water and added aeration with airstone and focus on ammonia level with a reliable test kit.

Is fish eating?
How is breathing rate- normal/rapid?
What is current ammonia and nitrate level?
Well I suppose that's good and bad news. Not contagious to tankmates then?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I suppose that's good and bad news. Not contagious to tankmates then?
Should not be but at times can why I suggested to check your water readings and I also suggest a good water change in the display

OP
OP
G

GHogg

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be but at times can why I suggested to check your water readings and I also suggest a good water change in the display
Hey sorry I realized you had some follow up questions.

breathing and activity seem normal for the fish. Eating with gusto.

ammonia and nitrate have both read 0 consistently but I missed testing last week. I'll test tonight after my water change.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3163221
View attachment 3163224
View attachment 3163225
It wouldn’t be coral glue, that happens within minutes of using it.

It looks like Lymphocystis - but that would have taken days to develop, so if you are positive it showed up overnight, then it is probably an injury w/bacterial infection.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back