Feeding frequency - how often do you feed fish?

BRS

How often do you feed fish?

• Total voters

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure if it works for your reef that is awesome !

My schedule does not allow it tank is dark when I leave in the morning . 2 hours of light when I get home so they get 1 feeding in afternoon and have all been healthy and happy . Wrasse included which everyone say need feedings of 3-4 times a day . Might be a food company conspiracy lol

I think if I fed my tank 3-4 times a day I would have a tank of algea with fish in it somewhere LOL even with 1 single feeding I am battling GHA for the second time and diatoms . I run lucky I know haha

I’m of the same opinion as @Eagle_Steve and @Billldg to feed as much as will get consumed and up your export game. If you are getting algae issues then your tank still needs to mature or you do not have enough export IMO

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you switch from multiple times per day

thats a good philosophy - I watched a ton of youtube videos and I believe it was ReefBuilders who were saying they feed “almost an abusive” little amount of food - so I got it into my head to do it that way which was a mistake. He also had clownfish so maybe less of an issue with clowns than gobies.
We all have our philosophies to doing what we feel is best or the right thing, and no one, within exception, is wrong. We just have different reasons or means to do so. Some will limit what their fish will eat to control N03 and P04, while others like myself, will just find other means to lower N03 and P04. With the exception of starving your fish, NO one is right or wrong, we just have a different way of going about it.

The thing you need to understand is that Algae is not a bad thing, it just needs to be controlled. Algae actually feed the tank in so many ways. ;) :)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed them minimum 4x per day, and I fed heavily. My tank was heavily stocked to benefit the corals, and the fish were fed quite a lot. My fish grew very well and were extremely robust and healthy. A friend and I got Yellow Assessors on the same day... Mine was double the size of his in no time.

It's good to keep your fish well fed, with a huge variety. I tried something new once a month for them and one by one all those little finicky eaters find something they can't resist.

This is great if you like little cryptic gobies and shy fish -- I absolutely do.

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than three times a day for fishes, twice a day for corals.

I feed them once before I leave for work, and once or twice after I return. I prefer to check on their feeding to assess their health.

When I bought new fishes, I increase feeding to absurd amounts temporarily to quickly improve the new fish conditions, and also to diffuse aggression.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have our philosophies to doing what we feel is best or the right thing, and no one, within exception, is wrong. We just have different reasons or means to do so. Some will limit what their fish will eat to control N03 and P04, while others like myself, will just find other means to lower N03 and P04. With the exception of starving your fish, NO one is right or wrong, we just have a different way of going about it.

The thing you need to understand is that Algae is not a bad thing, it just need to be controlled. Algae actually feed the tank in so many ways. ;) :)
Very well said and entirely true.

Eric-UF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks for posting this as I came to ask the exact same question.

I've been feeding 3x a week (M, W, F) and on T, Th I add Reef Nutrients AB+ for the corals.

In my 56 gallon, I have a Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, 6 line, 3 clowns, 2 cardinals, lawnmower, and manderian (I want to add a Flame Angel) .

In addition, I have 4 Rose Tipped anemones (use to be 1) and a host of invertebrates (banded, pistol, cleaner, blood, dwarf lobster (2), red starfish, tiger cucumber, urchins (2) and a lot of snails.

Everyone seems to be healthy... no one is skinny, but I feed a cube of brine and a cube of formula 1 on M, W, F... on Saturday or sunday I put in a cube of Mysis shrimp.... but after reading these posts I'm wondering if I have been running a Jenny Craig's for fish!

I do a water change about ever 6 weeks (25%) and my levels are right where they should be (at least where the guides suggest)....

Should I switch to feeding the same amount, but spread it out daily or increase the amount.... or just dont mess with what ain't broken?

Thoughts appreciate...

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been feeding 3x a week (M, W, F) and on T, Th I add Reef Nutrients AB+ for the corals.

In my 56 gallon, I have a Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, 6 line, 3 clowns, 2 cardinals, lawnmower, and manderian (I want to add a Flame Angel) .

In addition, I have 4 Rose Tipped anemones (use to be 1) and a host of invertebrates (banded, pistol, cleaner, blood, dwarf lobster (2), red starfish, tiger cucumber, urchins (2) and a lot of snails.

Everyone seems to be healthy... no one is skinny, but I feed a cube of brine and a cube of formula 1 on M, W, F... on Saturday or sunday I put in a cube of Mysis shrimp.... but after reading these posts I'm wondering if I have been running a Jenny Craig's for fish!

I do a water change about ever 6 weeks (25%) and my levels are right where they should be (at least where the guides suggest)....

Should I switch to feeding the same amount, but spread it out daily or increase the amount.... or just dont mess with what ain't broken?

Thoughts appreciate...
I would spread the feeding out if possible. If nothing else, it present a more consistent nutrients import for the tank, and should maks your nutrient level more stable.

As for feeding more, my philosophy is to first ensure the fishes gets as much nutrients as they need. Then ensure the nutrient export can handle the load.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts appreciate...
I would feed more. The tang should get nori daily. All the fish should eat at least twice a day. Feed your fish, err on the side of over feeding and add filtration if needed.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like heavy feeding. Without it, my nutrients are getting to zero fast. So I feed 2x per day (alternating different flakes/pellets). I also offer nori sheet every day and in the evenings I offer goldpods from Nyos. Every other day, I also feed corals with a mixture of AB+, NLS NutriCell and pods again (mostly for LPS). Finally, two times per week, I offer my DIY frozen food. IMO its hard to find a general conclusion. Everything depends on your inhabitants, filtration and maintenance approaches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like heavy feeding. Without it, my nutrients are getting to zero fast. So I feed 2x per day (alternating different flakes/pellets). I also offer nori sheet every day and in the evenings I offer goldpods from Nyos. Every other day, I also feed corals with a mixture of AB+, NLS NutriCell and pods again (mostly for LPS). Finally, two times per week, I offer my DIY frozen food. IMO its hard to find a general conclusion. Everything depends on your inhabitants, filtration and maintanance approaches.
As an update - I am now feeding twice a day - doing two small coral/fish feedings with Rod’s original 2 times a week and mysis the rest of the time.

Minus my skimmer going nuts after Rod’s days it has definitely improved both fish and coral. Now I just gotta try to keep algae at bay and kill the pesky aiptasia on my blasto grrrrr

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update - I am now feeding twice a day - doing two small coral/fish feedings with Rod’s original 2 times a week and mysis the rest of the time.

Minus my skimmer going nuts after Rod’s days it has definitely improved both fish and coral. Now I just gotta try to keep algae at bay and kill the pesky aiptasia on my blasto grrrrr
A rock urchin or abalone are both algae eating machines. I think you said it’s a nano tank? If so, don’t get an abalone, they get fairly large and eat a lot. I have to supplement mine in my 150 gallon. Not sure what filtration you have, but if phosphates are high, you can try Chemipure elite.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
4 dry feedings daily via Neptune ATK (10a-1p-4p-7p) and one (3-4oz) feeding of mixed Frozen in the evening.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed in the morning before I head to work and I’m the evening when I get home.

eventually I plan on getting a plank feeder and breaking the two feedings into 4 smaller feedings spread throughout the day

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 dry feedings daily via Neptune ATK (10a-1p-4p-7p) and one (3-4oz) feeding of mixed Frozen in the evening.
I am just about a year in now - feeding twice daily, once a week with Rod’s - and cannot for the life of me figure out why I can’t get phosphates going. Nitrates are 14ppm right now and no detectable phosphate via Hanna Checker and multiple ATI tests.

The corals are doing fine and I have very little algae to deal with. I have to scrape glass maybe once every 4-5 days to remove the algae there.

I run a small amount of carbon, a slither of polyfilter to gradually reduce some previously elevated aluminum, rinse filter sock daily and skim.

What gives?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am just about a year in now - feeding twice daily, once a week with Rod’s - and cannot for the life of me figure out why I can’t get phosphates going. Nitrates are 14ppm right now and no detectable phosphate via Hanna Checker and multiple ATI tests.

The corals are doing fine and I have very little algae to deal with. I have to scrape glass maybe once every 4-5 days to remove the algae there.

I run a small amount of carbon, a slither of polyfilter to gradually reduce some previously elevated aluminum, rinse filter sock daily and skim.

What gives?
What test kits are you using? You may be getting false readings.
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? You may be getting false readings.
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours
Not API - ATI ICP tests - last one was done early January and I was doing em monthly for a bit. Did a Hanna test yesterday.

Everything seems happy so not too worried about it but its crazy to me that I can have 14ppm nitrates and still no detectable phosphates in a 20gal nano thats fed twice a day with mysis and once a week with rod’s.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back