Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been in love with porcupine puffers with how incredibly personable they are, but sadly I don't think I'd be able to ever commit to such a large FOWLR tank to suit their needs. I've looked at a boxfish for a new build I am potentially considering, but ultimately I'm not sure if it would be a great fit. The closest I can get in terms of prsonalityis my lawnmower blenny, who regularly sits on my hand or arm while I'm working in the tank, but I'd love to start thinking about a stock list for a 100ish gallon build that would include some similarly personable fish, assuming the puffer is definitely out and a boxfish is probably unlikely.

So, these fish aside, what are some similarly personable fish you have kept or otherwise experienced before?

Edit- and I'd love to know what about them you find to be personable too!
Dog face puffer fish is the most personable fish I’ve ever owned, my pixie hawk is a close second hes freaking awesome he chills in my hand while I feed and stays perched on a rock Next to my computer chair constantly

Top Shelf Aquatics

TalkinTangie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Powder Blue tang and yellow tang.

I have not had a PBT for years, but when I did, he was fun to watch and interact with.
My yellow tangs both then and now have a very interactive personality as well. My favorite fish in two of my tanks are my adult yellow tang and baby yellow tang. Both act very similarly, so I think it is in their nature to interact and want to see what you are doing outside of the tank.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the Valentini (used to live in a horse trough and would spit to get my attention) and raise you a Vlamingi (changes his colors if it is me or a stranger in front of the tank

Will throw in a clown goby that is 3(?) years old and a heart break of a peppermint basslet that disappeared one night
AC782A70-D937-4425-9691-982D5481CA6A.jpeg
262AEA07-7135-4EA8-BD7A-CD9F3FDBA7CC.jpeg
DC60C125-033C-4A07-8E0E-EA753021A18C.jpeg
87BD5659-9298-4B77-BEDE-EBBFBC54DBC9.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big a tank do you have? We kept our little Puffer in a 4 foot tank for a year an a half (119 gallons) :)

Did anyone with a puffer (porcupine or otherwise) manage to keep it long term w coral? Looking at a 4 foot, 120 ish build but keeping most, if not all types of coral is important to me!

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxfish are my favorite personable fish, and they’re so misunderstood, despite what people say they have been some of the easiest fish for me to care for.
This is cubert
13EFA44E-AACC-4DEC-8212-BBF59D45A9E5.jpeg
872BBE05-019F-4873-B585-881C82AB43CE.jpeg

And the new guy I acquired a couple days ago, Tetrosomus Gibbosus (my favorite fish of all time) a very aggressive eater.
3DE8FA82-B809-4B3D-9C17-291B6CD68CA5.jpeg
3B1795DA-5BAA-4022-8674-E6714F95810A.jpeg

Here they are together.
3FC84D25-0E29-458D-A413-504D62E982BE.jpeg

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxfish are my favorite personable fish, and they’re so misunderstood, despite what people say they have been some of the easiest fish for me to care for.
Would you mind expanding on your experience so far? How big is the tank and how often / what do you feed? How long have you kept them and have they seemed coral-safe? Would love to hear more, I love boxfish

AS

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind expanding on your experience so far? How big is the tank and how often / what do you feed? How long have you kept them and have they seemed coral-safe? Would love to hear more, I love boxfish
the tank is a RSR 250 (About a 54 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump) right now they're eating LRS Reef/Fish Frenzy, once in the morning and once in the evening. ive had the cubicus for about 4 months and ive only had the humpback for a couple days, so far the cubicus is 100% safe with LPS, SPS, Leathers and Clams, but the Humpback has already began nipping my torch, i expected this because my first boxfish (Also a Humpback) was a nipper but never did permanent damage, i had him 7 months before he jumped out :confused: , i learned that the humpback is much more curious and "aware" than the cubicus is, that being said i think the cubicus is a better choice for a first time boxfish owner due to its availability, compatibility with corals and being less prone to jumping. feel free to PM me for any other questions.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcupine puffer is hard to beat for personality but yeah you need a larger set up and not just for space but for the amount of waste they create they’re big sloppy eaters!
So I've heard! It does seem difficult to commit to potentially just a FOWLR setup having fallen in love with the coral side of the hobby. Maybe during grad school or something. They're just so friggin cute lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a commitment just like coral. Most puffers triggers etc require a certain diet, can’t be kept with coral, and probably shouldn’t be kept with certain fish. So yeah it’s a commitment in that sense because you know it’s never going to be a colorful thriving reef tank loaded with coral and that’s not for everyone and honestly there’s nothing wrong with that. Me personally I love my puffers angels and triggers it’s worth it for me so I ditched the corals lol.

AS

Brian Berry

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been in love with porcupine puffers with how incredibly personable they are, but sadly I don't think I'd be able to ever commit to such a large FOWLR tank to suit their needs. I've looked at a boxfish for a new build I am potentially considering, but ultimately I'm not sure if it would be a great fit. The closest I can get in terms of prsonalityis my lawnmower blenny, who regularly sits on my hand or arm while I'm working in the tank, but I'd love to start thinking about a stock list for a 100ish gallon build that would include some similarly personable fish, assuming the puffer is definitely out and a boxfish is probably unlikely.

So, these fish aside, what are some similarly personable fish you have kept or otherwise experienced before?

Edit- and I'd love to know what about them you find to be personable too!
“Personable” if you want to stretch the term. That would be one of my clown fish that attacks me.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back