Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been in love with porcupine puffers with how incredibly personable they are, but sadly I don't think I'd be able to ever commit to such a large FOWLR tank to suit their needs. I've looked at a boxfish for a new build I am potentially considering, but ultimately I'm not sure if it would be a great fit. The closest I can get in terms of prsonalityis my lawnmower blenny, who regularly sits on my hand or arm while I'm working in the tank, but I'd love to start thinking about a stock list for a 100ish gallon build that would include some similarly personable fish, assuming the puffer is definitely out and a boxfish is probably unlikely.

So, these fish aside, what are some similarly personable fish you have kept or otherwise experienced before?

Edit- and I'd love to know what about them you find to be personable too!

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always been in love with porcupine puffers with how incredibly personable they are, but sadly I don't think I'd be able to ever commit to such a large FOWLR tank to suit their needs. I've looked at a boxfish for a new build I am potentially considering, but ultimately I'm not sure if it would be a great fit. The closest I can get in terms of prsonalityis my lawnmower blenny, who regularly sits on my hand or arm while I'm working in the tank, but I'd love to start thinking about a stock list for a 100ish gallon build that would include some similarly personable fish, assuming the puffer is definitely out and a boxfish is probably unlikely.

So, these fish aside, what are some similarly personable fish you have kept or otherwise experienced before?
Convict Tangs all the way, for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about those as opposed to other tangs, would you say?
Hit or miss. All of my current specimens eat from my hand(s), but convicts have consistently been puppy dogs for me.

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

oscillator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flame hawk and tail spot blenny, love my possum wrasse too

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses and tilefish I’ve had have all had a puppy-like personality. They follow me round the tank and love to dine at feeding time. The only issue is both are known for being torpedo’s and love to jump.

BRS

The Ginga Ninja

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big a tank do you have? We kept our little Puffer in a 4 foot tank for a year an a half (119 gallons) :)

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with you on the Porcupine. Mine is great. My Aussie Harlequin Tusk also has great personality. As do many of my Angels (French, Asfur, Emperor, Maculosus, Queen, Annularis and Majestic).

But my Sargassum Trigger takes the cake. He’s awesome. Spits water at feeding time. Has googly eyes and literally looks like he’s smiling at me.

Bladezz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to spot feed my tank. When I did my yellow tang would come to the ridgid tubing looking for a scratching. He would hold still while I rubbed his side. Sometimes he would change colors like it was a really stimulating experience for him. lol

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back