Everything is dying, and I need help!!

namlessdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice please as I am slowly losing all my fish...

Here's the background:

I bought a 10 gallon tank with its water, a yellow tail damsel, and live sand. The tank was supposed to be cycled and all. I bought it to introduce myself to salt water fish and build my 40 gallons.

The day i built my 40 gallon i was stupid and bought some fish from a store. I bought 2 clowns, 1 blue tang, and 1 bicolor anglefish. The blue tang came with Ick, which the store owner denied. It developed within hours of bringing the fish home. I took it to a quarantine tank and treated it and it's now doing great. But, when I realized that my nitrate and nitrite are very high, i did a large water chane on my tank. Within an hour both of my clown fish developed severe ick. I treated it but i lost one of them today... so, after research i learned thay i should dip the fish in fresh water. I did and that helped alleviate some of the stress as some stuff fell off and the clown is now swimming around.

On the other hand, my bicolor shows no symptoms but is swimming at the bottom and is stationary while breathing incredibly fast. This might be due to the high nitrate

Between the Ick, losing the damsel and 1 clown, and the higher nitrate, i dont know what to do...

The tang is healthy and happy once I moved her. Should I remove the other 2 fish to a new tank with new water and start right away with ich treatment in the new water?

I am desperate as I feel soo bad to be hurting the fish so much but i dont know what to do :((

P.s. i bought a water conditioner that is supposed to detoxify nitrate from the water. I used the emergency dosage but the levels dont seem to go down.

Any advice?.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is now in your 10 gallon tank

It takes like 90 days to get it out(whatever the new fallow period is these days, it's a very long time)

And you do that by removing the fish into hospital tank

Suggest, get another clean 10 gallon tank as your treatment hospital tank

Get your 40 up and running. Dump everything in your existing 10 gallon tank, and bleach it, rinse it, set it aside for later

And then move your ich-less fish over to the 40, when you have healed them

Then keep that 10 gallon hospital tank as your future quarantine tank, so this doesn't happen again

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have introduced ich into the tank then all fish must go through a proper QT and the tank must remain fishless (fallow) for 76 days. Ich can cause rapid breathing in fish along with ammonia and other diseases. A freshwater dip will not cure ich it may give a temporary relief of some of the symptoms. Copper in the QT is the best way but you need to follow protocol. Look in the disease forums there are stickies on how to do it. I dont know how high nitrates are but that will almost never be the issue, especially with what you are describing. Any idea what the ammonia level is? Doesnt sound like you cycled the tank did you use live rock? Also a blue tang in a 40g is a bad idea. The bottle of conditioner is most likely useless, depending on what it is maybe useful in removing chlorine in tap water. Sounds like you need to slow down and do some research, tank cycle, disease prevention, compatibility.

Things needed in helping diagnose issues, Pics are worth a thousand words good clarity in white light, Parameters actual numbers not fine or good or not good or high for fish this would be ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, SG, temp, corals will also need alk, calc, possibly mag, and if you have it par wouldnt hurt. A short video of the fish acting weird or whatever is also very useful 30sec-1min again try to steady the camera and in white light. Post video to youtube then link here is the best way that most people can see it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you stocked the tank too quickly, and added fish that should be in larger tank. The angelfish should be in 75 gallons and 125 gallons for the tang.

Overstocking plus overfeeding equals ammonia spike which stresses the fish and disease breaks out. Now the tank should be fishless for 3 months for disease to die out. Please use this time to do some reading to choose appropriate fish for your tank size.

OP
OP
N

namlessdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I recognize that I jumped the gun and moved too fast. All i am trying to do now is save the poor fish that are suffering. Removed them to a new tank with nox-ick to treat for Ick.

I am out of options it seems like for now. So hopefully with the treatment things will get well soon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I recognize that I jumped the gun and moved too fast. All i am trying to do now is save the poor fish that are suffering. Removed them to a new tank with nox-ick to treat for Ick.

I am out of options it seems like for now. So hopefully with the treatment things will get well soon.

You need copper or hyposalinity. Nox-ich does not work on marine ich.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back