Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not be the first time OP worked themselves up into thinking they've been poisoned by something in their tank.

I think i poisoned myself.

I'm not sure you should be working at a saltwater fish store with the anxiety this seems to cause you.

Nutramar Foods

DavidinGA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case that's just gonna be an infection. It's been too long to be paly toxin-related or anything else super severe.

I'm not a hypochondriac myself, so I would just have gone about my day and not made a post about it though lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not be the first time OP worked themselves up into thinking they've been poisoned by something in their tank.

I think i poisoned myself.

I'm not sure you should be working at a saltwater fish store with the anxiety this seems to cause you.
This is a rather harsh comment.

Millions of people have anxiety issues; are you saying that we should all just avoid anything that might trigger symptoms?

The OP already stated that part of the reason he posted was to document his experience in case others had a similar situation... If you don't think he should have posted about his worries, then just move on. No need to criticize.

Nutramar Foods
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GobyGuy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah dude any of these people could be telling you super shotty info, tell the doc all the info you told us and youll get the help u need or find out u dont need any help

AS

mwil79

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As someone who does suffer from anxiety I know how your mind can play some serious tricks on you and manifest many physical symptoms. With that being said something definitely did get your hand as swelling and what looks like a small puncture can't be caused by anxiety. If it's something that is bothering you please go seek medical attention even if just to put your mind at ease.

Anxiety is a very real and difficult thing to work through in this hobby. I had an experience with fragging a large beauty and the Beast paly colony this weekend. My hands were trembling during the whole process and I'm going to attach a picture just to show the amount of paly toxin that was coming off them. I did not wear gloves (eye protection yes) and did not have any issues at all. This is just to let you know it's not super easy to poison yourself however please be careful I do tend to throw caution to the wind.

20220827_195530.jpg

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, it’s not palytoxin fortunately but it Is a nasty infection. They’re putting me on 3 antibiotics. I went into the ER this morning because the redness had spread and it’s so swollen I can’t move it. Photos were taken maybe a couple hours apart this morning

Attachments

• 9A8A7494-E247-420D-AA30-2B342639D8D8.jpeg
    9A8A7494-E247-420D-AA30-2B342639D8D8.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 6222A9DC-B9B0-4BE8-8024-610D0F265D56.jpeg
    6222A9DC-B9B0-4BE8-8024-610D0F265D56.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 90

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, it’s not palytoxin fortunately but it Is a nasty infection. They’re putting me on 3 antibiotics. I went into the ER this morning because the redness had spread and it’s so swollen I can’t move it. Photos were taken maybe a couple hours apart this morning
I hope it resolves and feels better soon, good luck.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad you got an answer! I would venture to say that almost everyone has put their hands in the tank while having a small cut, but as you've discovered, there are lots of nasties in aquarium water. Some people could practically bathe in it with zero problems while others are going to be more susceptible to things, even allergic in some cases.

From now on, at least while at work, you should plan to wear gloves if putting your hands in the tank(s). It's an inconvenience for sure, but since you do have an infection, you know you're susceptible and even after the infection has cleared up, it's a good idea not to chance reinfection.

Someone mentioned this before, but you should definitely talk to your employer about what happened. As a small business owner, it's likely there's no worker's comp coverage, but they can at least provide you with the necessary supplies (gloves, etc) to keep you safe going forward.

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call man. Glad you went to see a doctor. Hopefully you are better soon. If it makes you feel more comfortable just wear gloves when working in the tank and practice good hand washing. I know I should probably wear gloves more often than I do.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Billys_reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fingers would get that swollen if I touch a bristle worm. One time, I was doing a tank transfer and moved out all teh works. My whole right hand was swollen and red from all the bristle worms and I couldn't even bend my fingers. After a week or so it started to subside and I was fine after.

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fingers would get that swollen if I touch a bristle worm. One time, I was doing a tank transfer and moved out all teh works. My whole right hand was swollen and red from all the bristle worms and I couldn't even bend my fingers. After a week or so it started to subside and I was fine after.
If that happens again try benadryl and or zyrtec.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a coral shop for 5 yrs. If I posted every time I had an injury (cuts, rash, inflammation) to my hands with urchins, snail shells, etc...my post would be like 5 pages long.

Take advil every 6hrs and get back to work. lol

Nutramar Foods

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people that do not get injured often tend to have weakened immune systems to injuries. Not to be mean at all but look at his hands. My hands haven't been that clean since I was child. I've wrenched for 38 years and get cut several times a week, sometimes several times a day. My head is just a bunch of scars. I'm bald so I don't have any sensors and am always busting my head open hitting on the lift or bottom of a car. I typically don't wash the wounds, but I just wipe the blood off and keep working. The other guys in my shop are about the same. We don't get infections, or if we do we just let them run their course and eventually they heal. The only time medical attention is needed is when the bleeding won't stop and we need to get stitched up. I think the old saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" really is true. These are just my opinions and not meant to encourage anyone not to seek medical attention if they feel the need. The old saying "better safe than sorry" is also true. Yes us old guys are full of sayings like that.;)
Edit: I forgot, I do let my dogs lick my injuries. Not sure if that counts as medical attention or not but it feels good :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion Lighting & Supply
Back