Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 tablespoons of dry baking soda to what size tank?

Have you measured the alkalinity of the tap water?

That may be the ongoing source. Some water supplies have quite high alkalinity. "Low" is not good enough for top off water, if that is what you mean.
48 gallons. And no ill do that now. Valid points

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I just did a water change by now I'm at 90 percent over 12 days using instant ocean and tap treated with aquasafe. What are my next steps if you don't mind me asking

What is the alk now?

The new water will have alk too high if you use IO (say, 11 dKH) plus 2.4 dKH from the tap water, so water changes are not a good solution using that mixture.

You can very slowly drop the alk in the tank with an acid, such as sodium bisulfate, or you can do water changes with a low alk mix (say, 3 dKH total alk from IO plus bisulfate).

The latter is safer as you can raise the ph back up after the alk drop by aeration, then do the change with it.

OP
OP
Neon_reefboi

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the alk now?

The new water will have alk too high if you use IO (say, 11 dKH) plus 2.4 dKH from the tap water, so water changes are not a good solution using that mixture.

You can very slowly drop the alk in the tank with an acid, such as sodium bisulfate, or you can do water changes with a low alk mix (say, 3 dKH total alk from IO plus bisulfate).

The latter is safer as you can raise the ph back up after the alk drop by aeration, then do the change with it.

The alk is at 16.2

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon,

Are you using well water?

The simple answer is that you need to find a new water source that isn't your tap water. About the only option is an RO/DI ,but I know you said you're on a tight budget.

An ALK of 16 isn't going to hurt anything. If it's that high normally, you definitely don't need to add any Red Sea Alk or baking soda.

Water changes are your answer if you can find a new source of clean water that isn't your current tap.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back