Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and support Jim's results! When it comes from a chemistry perspective - and seeking accuracy of results, there is no disputing the equivalence point. Given it was obtained from a fully calibrated pH probe and accurately prepared seawater sample, which also contains the discrepancy of borate there is really nothing to contradict the methodology used here other than perhaps replication and the colour intensity from the 250 mL flask ;Happy. People need to understand the purpose of the indicator colour change is to assist in telling users when the reaction is complete; unlike a dye, a pH probe is far superior for accuracy and can pinpoint much stronger the true end point of the reaction.

It should be noted that people need to be aware multiple sources of error when comparing test results online, especially articles from many years ago, regardless of what parameter you choose. These errors can cause noticeable variations that need to be understood, which is why observing your own tank and having consistent & stable results is far superior than accurate results. Sources of error may include:

• The test kit utilised (inbuilt margin of error by reagents chosen and test equipment provided)
  • The methodology applied by the operator (us)
  • The methodology recommended by the test manufacturer (as demonstrated here, salifert recommends a pink colour, where Jim has now shown the colour of the end point to be lavender)
  • Age of kit used and storage procedures
  • Interference of other chemicals within the aquarium tested

Thanks for posting the raw data @JimWelsh! It means I don't need to buy a $300 probe and can do some of my own extrapolation ;Pompus.

Based on the data provided, I've graphed the final equivalence zone to a cubic curve p <0.001, R2 = 0.998 (p = 6.09406173484311E-10 ;Woot). Note the pH values utilised were between 4-5, where the shift in pH values is greatest.Given the probe was calibrated I can infer a set pH end point value of 4.45 to provide the exact volume the test was completed using 0.02234N HCl. This value is indicated on the graph by the red lines - final volume at a pH of 4.45 was 22.59 mL. Provided I did the chemistry accurately, this equates to a alkalinity of 126.319 mg/L CaCO3; 2.522 mEq; 7.062 dkH.

Similarly using a linear regression model with a poorer fit, the calculated final volume was 22.57 mL equating to 126.19 mg/L CaCO3; 2.52 mEq; 7.055 dKh. The difference in volume between the two models was 0.023mL, which contributes to a difference of less than 0.129 mg/L CaCO3.

Now if we were to calculate the volume of acid needed to produce an end point at pH 4.2, the volume required is 23.15 mL. You can see the jump in volume from a pH difference of 0.25 units contributes to a large difference of 0.67 mL - an error of ~ +2.97% volume. This equates to an alkalinity of 129.437 mg/L CaCO3; 2.58 mEq; 7.236 dkH. The difference between the true end point illustrated by Jim and that overshot at a pH of 4.2 is 3.118 mg/L or ~ +2.47% error. This will therefore give a false reading of higher alkalinity than true.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a colour representation from the salifert at pH 4.2 - I assume this is where the bright pink colour is obtained with this specific test. Also, so it cannot be misinterpreted, I am a fan of salifert kits for consumer testing...

Finally, assuming user methodology that takes into account a pH probe that is out by 0.55 pH units and still rely solely on a pH value of 4.45 as the end point we would get a volume of 21.23 mL, Alk of 118.66 mg/L CaCO3; 2.369 mEq; 6.634 dKh - an error of ~ 6.06%. If you graphically calculate the equivalence point that is fine, but this assumes the lazy way of just relying on pH alone from a out of calibration probe.

Happy Reefing!
upload_2019-3-23_23-34-31.png
upload_2019-3-24_0-7-29.png

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to pop in to say THANK YOU Jim for your work on this. I have always used what would be around a pH of 4 on your color chart for my endpoint. Just got a Triton DOC test back that showed my Alk was 5.9 where I consistently test around 7, so this explains why!

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was, in a weird way, my pleasure!

Jim,
Thanks so much for taking the time.

I bought a brand new Hanna DKH checker and it was off by .9 on the "low" side to Salifert, but I was shooting for the hot pink for the Salifert's endpoint.

Found your thread and don't shot for the hot pink anymore, and their about .1 off from each, now.

Gotta love Reef 2 Reef!!

Happy.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @JimWelsh

Hello, Guys
The syringe comes with that slip on, pink tip.

Should that pink tip count for holding .1 ml of reagent? (acid)

Like should the plunger be set at the 1ml mark, and the air bubble stopping at the .9 mark?
With the reagent starting at .9

Or just toss the pink tip, and just start with the reagent at 1ml mark at the same point as the plunger, with no air gap?

Thank you

CLICK TO VIEW

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the tip's volume and the bubble as they don't affect the result. Always start with the plunger at the 1ml mark and read the value of the plunger at the end.

If you pull the reagent in, the reagent could be anywhere from the .85 mark / .9 mark or the .95 mark, with the plunger being at the 1ml mark.

That does make a difference at the endpoint's reading, when you refer to the chart.

Nutramar Foods

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about the size of the air bubble between the reagent and the plunger?

It can be different every time that you pull in the reagent.

OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the size of the air bubble between the reagent and the plunger?

It can be different every time that you pull in the reagent.
That doesn't matter. The amount of liquid below that bubble that is delivered will still be correctly measured by the change in plunger reading. The size of that bubble won't change during the titration. Who cares how big it is?

EDIT: Putting it another way: As long as there is no air delivered, and it is all liquid down below in the tip and the lower part of the syringe, then what I said above will be true. The plunger change is measuring the amount of liquid delivered. The bubble doesn't come into play at all.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't matter. The amount of liquid below that bubble that is delivered will still be correctly measured by the change in plunger reading. The size of that bubble won't change during the titration. Who cares how big it is?

Because the more or less reagent that is truly in the syringe would give you a different endpoint result when you refer back to how much is left in the syringe.

If you have .85 or .95 drawn back into the syringe, to me that would make a difference in the final test result.

Edit:
If your endpoint comes to .35 or .4 left in the syringe, they come in at different dKH values.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the more or less reagent that is truly in the syringe would give you a different endpoint result when you refer back to how much is left in the syringe.

If you have .85 or .95 drawn back into the syringe, to me that would make a difference in the final test result.

Am I wrong?
Look, you can attach the tip tightly, which will create a smaller bubble, or you can attach the tip more loosely (but still good enough for a seal), which will create a larger bubble. When you pull the plunger back the 1 mL volume of the syringe, it will still pull in 1 mL of reagent. The total volume in the combined tip + syringe will be 1 mL + bubble size. Let's say the test requires 0.4 mL to reach the endpoint. You will push the plunger down to the 0.6 mL mark, and be done with the test. There will then be 0.6 + bubble size volume left in the syringe + tip, meaning you delivered 0.4 mL of reagent to complete the test. This will be true regardless of how big "bubble size" is. The only thing that changed is the amount of reagent that has been delivered / is remaining, and that amount will be the same regardless of bubble size.

EDIT: "Bubble size" is a constant that can be ignored for any given titration.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We're just going to have to agree, to dis-agree

If that was that case then starting at .7 / with the plunger set at 1ml would get the same result as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, you can attach the tip tightly, which will create a smaller bubble, or you can attach the tip more loosely (but still good enough for a seal), which will create a larger bubble. When you pull the plunger back the 1 mL volume of the syringe, it will still pull in 1 mL of reagent. The total volume in the combined tip + syringe will be 1 mL + bubble size. Let's say the test requires 0.4 mL to reach the endpoint. You will push the plunger down to the 0.6 mL mark, and be done with the test. There will then be 0.6 + bubble size volume left in the syringe + tip, meaning you delivered 0.4 mL of reagent to complete the test. This will be true regardless of how big "bubble size" is. The only thing that changed is the amount of reagent that has been delivered / is remaining, and that amount will be the same regardless of bubble size.

EDIT: "Bubble size" is a constant that can be ignored for any given titration.

So just pull back the plunger to one ml, and go?

Don't pull the plunger over the 1ml mark, and then push back down to the 1ml mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back