Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 2 different tanks, my first tank is a 40 gallon breeder with a Fugi 20 sump, it has an Apex controller. I use a Apex DOS and do AWC with the DOS. This tank and the AWC has been up for two years and the fish and coral has been doing great and is growing.
I started a 120 gallon tank with a Trigger 36 sump, I bought this used and am using it for a frag and grow out system. It has been up a couple of months and I have been doing Manual water changes. This tank is because of a bigger much nicer tank I am planning for my office. (180 gallon)
I change out around 20% water volume each month on the tanks. I am done with the manual water changes but I didnt want to buy the DOS because of the cost.

After some research and planning I have put together a DIY AWC system, it is running great and the cost is much less that buying some of the other systems you can buy.

This is just an over view, if you have questions fill free to ask and I will answer is I can. There are other ways to do this if you dont have an APEX, they may be even easier.

Here is a list of parts that I have put together for the AWC, below the list of parts will be information on the installation of the parts.

1. Molex 39121400, bought on Amazon. this will plug in the APEX 24 volt D/C connector, I used 22 gauged wire for this project.

NOTE: Use the female pins on the connecter that plugs into the APEX.

Link below

1645546104457.png

2. If you dont have you will need a crimper for the connector the one I use is below.
link below

1645547444039.png

3. 24 volt Kamoer peristaltic pump 2 count, pumps at 560 ml a minute. They are 10 watts each for a total of 20 watts. these pumps will use one of the apex 24 volt out puts and will be wired together so they turn on and off at the same time.

Note this is not a Stepper peristaltic Pump
link below

1645546658531.png

4. Water line used for AWC, I used Irrigation line I had from an irrigation project and it works great! 100 feet for $8.99
link below

1645546998387.png

Box from Lowes to mount the pumps to the wall.
1645549729347.png

INSTALLATION

1. You will need to use the female pin and crimp the wire to the pins, be careful crimping the pins not to damage or it want work in the connector. then you can connect to the 24V power out connection.
plug.jpg

2. Each pump has 2 connections a positive and a negative, so I connected 2 additional wires to each of the wires coming off of the wires coming from the connectors. I attached blade connectors to the each of those wires so they can be connected to the pumps.
AWC wires1.jpg

pump Connection.jpg

3. Cut holes in the PVC box so the body of the motor can go though the lid of the box. The hole should be 2" use stainless steal strews to mount the pumps to the box lid.
AWC Box.jpg

4. Connect the wires to the pumps, ensure the negative and positive are on the correct spot on the motor then mount the pumps to the box and run waterlines. .
AWC box and pump.jpg

5. Run waterlines, see below
pump plimbing.PNG

6. If you have an Apex you can program to come on as you like, here is what I am currently running. If you dont have an APEX you could buy a 24V power supply and a relay and wire it to come on with a timer or a WIFI power strip.
Apex programing.jpg

7. Test your waters salinity to make sure it doesnt change before doing big water changes.

AWC compete.jpg

This is a HAPPY Walt Disney

walt.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, step by step instructions.
Wish you posted this before I got my DOS for Christmas.
Does it add /remove equal amounts daily?
thanks,
yes it does, i turn them both on and off with the one output so the start and stop at the same time. when I tested them the difference was not detectable. They are high flow so it only take 7 minutes to pump a gallon.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ben Pedersen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 2 different tanks, my first tank is a 40 gallon breeder with a Fugi 20 sump, it has an Apex controller. I use a Apex DOS and do AWC with the DOS. This tank and the AWC has been up for two years and the fish and coral has been doing great and is growing.
I started a 120 gallon tank with a Trigger 36 sump, I bought this used and am using it for a frag and grow out system. It has been up a couple of months and I have been doing Manual water changes. This tank is because of a bigger much nicer tank I am planning for my office. (180 gallon)
I change out around 20% water volume each month on the tanks. I am done with the manual water changes but I didnt want to buy the DOS because of the cost.

After some research and planning I have put together a DIY AWC system, it is running great and the cost is much less that buying some of the other systems you can buy.

This is just an over view, if you have questions fill free to ask and I will answer is I can. There are other ways to do this if you dont have an APEX, they may be even easier.

Here is a list of parts that I have put together for the AWC, below the list of parts will be information on the installation of the parts.

1. Molex 39121400, bought on Amazon. this will plug in the APEX 24 volt D/C connector, I used 22 gauged wire for this project.

NOTE: Use the female pins on the connecter that plugs into the APEX.

Link below

View attachment 2561145

2. If you dont have you will need a crimper for the connector the one I use is below.
link below

View attachment 2561181

3. 24 volt Kamoer peristaltic pump 2 count, pumps at 560 ml a minute. They are 10 watts each for a total of 20 watts. these pumps will use one of the apex 24 volt out puts and will be wired together so they turn on and off at the same time.

Note this is not a Stepper peristaltic Pump
link below

View attachment 2561162

4. Water line used for AWC, I used Irrigation line I had from an irrigation project and it works great! 100 feet for $8.99
link below

View attachment 2561172
Box from Lowes to mount the pumps to the wall.
View attachment 2561230

INSTALLATION

1. You will need to use the female pin and crimp the wire to the pins, be careful crimping the pins not to damage or it want work in the connector. then you can connect to the 24V power out connection.
View attachment 2561494

2. Each pump has 2 connections a positive and a negative, so I connected 2 additional wires to each of the wires coming off of the wires coming from the connectors. I attached blade connectors to the each of those wires so they can be connected to the pumps.
View attachment 2561412
View attachment 2561415

3. Cut holes in the PVC box so the body of the motor can go though the lid of the box. The hole should be 2" use stainless steal strews to mount the pumps to the box lid.
View attachment 2561417
4. Connect the wires to the pumps, ensure the negative and positive are on the correct spot on the motor then mount the pumps to the box and run waterlines. .
View attachment 2561418

5. Run waterlines, see below
View attachment 2561432

6. If you have an Apex you can program to come on as you like, here is what I am currently running. If you dont have an APEX you could buy a 24V power supply and a relay and wire it to come on with a timer or a WIFI power strip.
View attachment 2561438

7. Test your waters salinity to make sure it doesnt change before doing big water changes.

View attachment 2561504
This is a HAPPY Walt Disney

View attachment 2561135
Just wondering.. you already have the FMM module and sensors.. why didn't you just add a apex utility pump to add and remove water based on the water sensors? If you are already using an Apex ATO.. you just add one more sensor below the low water sensor to control the AWC. In addition to your existing ATO you ned 2 utility pumps, a water level sensor, and tubing.

Apex Program Concept:
  1. At a given point of time, verify the ATO sensor is wet and turn off ATO pump. If not wet run ATO pump until sensor is wet and turn off pump.
  2. Turn on remove water pump until lower sensor is dry
  3. Turn on add water pump until ATO sensor is wet. That way you have the ATO high sensor as an emergency shut off and the float ball is even another emergency shut off.
People don't realize you can do this. I'm working with neon_reefer to 3D print an add on to the Apex ATO sensor holder that enables you to attach and set the hight of a third AWC sensor. :)

Similar concept to AutoAqua AWC.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering.. you already have the FMM module and sensors.. why didn't you just add a apex utility pump to add and remove water based on the water sensors? If you are already using an Apex ATO.. you just add one more sensor below the low water sensor to control the AWC. In addition to your existing ATO you ned 2 utility pumps, a water level sensor, and tubing.

Apex Program Concept:
  1. At a given point of time, verify the ATO sensor is wet and turn off ATO pump. If not wet run ATO pump until sensor is wet and turn off pump.
  2. Turn on remove water pump until lower sensor is dry
  3. Turn on add water pump until ATO sensor is wet. That way you have the ATO high sensor as an emergency shut off and the float ball is even another emergency shut off.
People don't realize you can do this. I'm working with neon_reefer to 3D print an add on to the Apex ATO sensor holder that enables you to attach and set the hight of a third AWC sensor. :)

Similar concept to AutoAqua AWC.
A couple of reasons.
1. I want to remove and replace at the same time. This will not interfere with the ATO
2. Peristaltic pumps are much more accurate that a sensor and pump.
3. These pumps work at the same time and work daily so no swings in temp.
4. No extra programming just on and off for an amount of time.
5 one out put from Apex no inputs.

Ben Pedersen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of reasons.
1. I want to remove and replace at the same time. This will not interfere with the ATO
2. Peristaltic pumps are much more accurate that a sensor and pump.
3. These pumps work at the same time and work daily so no swings in temp.
4. No extra programming just on and off for an amount of time.
5 one out put from Apex no inputs.
  1. Why would you want to remove and replace at the same time?
  2. Don't believe peristalic pumps would be better or worse from an accracy prospective used in this way.
  3. You can do daily, hourly etc. the way I mentioned and why do you think temp would be affected this way over the other. Both ways may or may not affect temperature depending on how it was set up.
  4. Agree with you on Point 4.. Takes some Apex programing.
  5. Agree.. would take more Inputs
Just saying, if you are using an Apex ATO, it is easy to use that, 2 utility pumps, tubing and one extra sensor to also do AWC. :)

JonCherba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit to remove & replace at the same time? I was planning a similar system but I was planning on removing as much water as my water change was then adding fresh SW back in at the sump. I was planning on having a drain in my sump that when a valve was opened it would drain until the level dropped below the drain then the valve would close and the paristaltic pump would refill with fresh SW...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit to remove & replace at the same time? I was planning a similar system but I was planning on removing as much water as my water change was then adding fresh SW back in at the sump. I was planning on having a drain in my sump that when a valve was opened it would drain until the level dropped below the drain then the valve would close and the paristaltic pump would refill with fresh SW...
not sure there is a benefit other than just doing small amount and able to chant the amount by simply adding or removing time. I just based it on the Apex DOS, a proven method for me.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

jcolliii

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you checked the volume difference, how much was it? How large a receptacle and what was the percent error between the two pumps? Did you scale up that error to say 30 day's water changes? Nice DIY, and not at all trying to be a detractor, but small volume inaccuracies can add up quick.

I've bought all of the stuff to put a DIY AWC together as well, just haven't had time to run the tubing yet. Nice write-up!

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you checked the volume difference, how much was it? How large a receptacle and what was the percent error between the two pumps? Did you scale up that error to say 30 day's water changes? Nice DIY, and not at all trying to be a detractor, but small volume inaccuracies can add up quick.

I've bought all of the stuff to put a DIY AWC together as well, just haven't had time to run the tubing yet. Nice write-up!
When I tested I tested the amount pumped and removed during 1 minute. The error was not measurable. It was measured in ml.
It has been in use for months, I monitor salinity and it has been very stable. This indicates no unbalanced removal and replacement.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back