Dose shape matter? What shape of dosing container do you prefer?

BRS

What shape of dosing container do you prefer?

• Square/Cube

Votes: 79 23.0%
  • Round/Cylinder

Votes: 56 16.3%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 111 32.4%
  • It depends on what is being dosed

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • I don’t use a dosing container

Votes: 72 21.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dose shape matter? What shape of dosing container do you prefer?

Dose shape matter? Please forgive the misspelling as an attempted pun. Today, we’re talking about the shape of dosing containers which come in several different sizes including cubes, cylinders, multi-compartment, and more. Do you choose different shapes for different things that you are dosing, or do you stay consistent with all your dosing containers? What size and shape do you prefer? Is there a benefit to one shape over the other? Did you DIY your dosing container solution or maybe use the product containers? Do you have any tips to share about selecting dosing containers? Let’s talk about the shape of dosing containers in the discussion.

D2Mini_dosing.jpeg

Photo by @d2mini

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mine are cylinder shape but overall it's a matter of preference and fit for given area and for me, amount of fluid volume is important

hunterallen40

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep telling myself I'll buy a "real dosing container" instead of just using my one gallon milk jugs, but I have a really hard time justifying it. Other than a kalk stirrer (which I wouldn't call a dosing container), I can't imagine the shape having any impact (though I would love to know if there is a case someone knows about!).

Kodski

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it greatly depends on what's available for space. Many reefers are limited by space and because of this, square or rectangular dosing containers will always be the most space efficient. But in terms of DIY and money efficient dosing containers, most containers will be rounded in some way. Like the DIY Voss containers, or just using gallon milk/water jugs, or even the BRS jugs.

I think the real determining question should be, how much do you really want to spend on dosing containers? $30 for a DIY solution, or $100+ on a nice acrylic off the shelf solution?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you could get square dosing containers. Lol. I have the cylindrical dosing containers that came with my bubble magus doser 10 years ago. I still use all 3. I've also taken to reusing the 4 quart round vinegar containers from Costco. When the vinegar is gone of course. I rinse it out and add in my powders with a funnel, fill with RODI water, shake, and cap with a drilled hole and dosing hose.

Simple , but effective. Honestly at the amounts I dose, I almost would prefer to have a 2-3 gallon container of my alk solution, my calcium chloride solution, magnesium, and vodka solution. But for now, I use what i have. What's interesting to me, is the Bubble magus dosing containers have a line on them that say 1.5L. So, I buy a 1.5 L of vodka, and a little over half of the 1.5L bottle of Vodka fits in the container. Curious what measurements people use. Lol.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that it is a matter of preference and can't really see anyway in which it would impact the overall functionality. That being said, 1) I prefer cyclindrical; and 2) someone much smarter than me may be able to explain an impact based on shape.

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most others here I’m about whatever works in the space available. Of course how much you want to spend on containers effects all aspects of the shape, capacity, etc. As a budget reefer I’m going with DIY. My current system doesn’t need to be dosed yet but I used a DIY solution for kalk dosing in my last system. I’m going to use matching half gallon containers from Dollar Tree for my build. Since I only have 120 gallons of total system value I won’t need more than a half gallon for most things and they make a gallon sized container that matches the half gallon container.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back