Does carbon dosing increase or decrease water clarity?

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a few Reef Central forum posts about people saying carbon dosing improves water clarity.

However, I think I remember that someone said carbon dosing adds organics and slightly degrades water clarity.

Which side is the truth?

By saying “clarity,” I am referring to yellowing compounds.

AS

dlsorensen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research and personal experience it has clarified the water. My skimmer has pulled more since I started dosing last week. I dose 5ml per day of DIY NOPOX for reference in my 125g.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice an effect, at least until the dose was so high the water was hazy with bacteria, but I also aggressively used methods to reduce yellowing (GAC, occasional ozone, etc.) before and during organic carbon addition.

Nutramar Foods

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the yes….but actually no…

Personally I found when dosing correctly it worked to clarify the water. When I dosed too much, I got blooms.

I have upped my reefing game since then and my tank is far more stable and I have a better intuition about all of that so if I tried again I might do better but honestly I have found for water clarity activated carbon and a giant-sized UV sterilizer are much lower maintenance fixes.

I have brought out the UV sterilizer to combat a new-tank algae bloom and then again recently when I had to move everything to an emergency tank and it solved the cloudy issue both times permanently in around 48 hours- to the point that it looked like the fish are swimming in air.

I use carbon only when things “don’t look right.”

I will be hard plumbing the UV into a manifold on the new tank so it’s easy to turn on/off as needed.

Bearing in mind my water clarity issue cause may differ from yours but these solutions require (to me) less chemistry, measurement, and time vs dosing.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many yellow compounds are byproducts of bacterial metabolism breaking down foods.
A couple of years ago got bacteria to take a clear solution and make really yellow water.
I started with a gallon of tank water, and did a tiny 0.05mL (salifert) scoop of ground fish flake + ~100ppm NO3 and a couple of ppm PO4. (something like F/2 media)
I split into 3 containers, bubbled all of them in the dark and gave
1 - nothing, 2 - Waste Away, 3 - Vodka
20200328_083840.jpg

after about a week and a half, the least yellow was the one that got nothing. The Vodka and Waste Away bottles both got really yellow water after the initial cloudy bloom.

So sometimes a carbon dose can help bacteria make more yellow compounds. If I want to fight yellow water, I use the other carbon - GAC.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many yellow compounds are byproducts of bacterial metabolism breaking down foods.
A couple of years ago got bacteria to take a clear solution and make really yellow water.
I started with a gallon of tank water, and did a tiny 0.05mL (salifert) scoop of ground fish flake + ~100ppm NO3 and a couple of ppm PO4. (something like F/2 media)
I split into 3 containers, bubbled all of them in the dark and gave
1 - nothing, 2 - Waste Away, 3 - Vodka
View attachment 2971811
after about a week and a half, the least yellow was the one that got nothing. The Vodka and Waste Away bottles both got really yellow water after the initial cloudy bloom.

So sometimes a carbon dose can help bacteria make more yellow compounds. If I want to fight yellow water, I use the other carbon - GAC.
You were the other side of the battle!

While I was writing this thread, I used the search function with your name because I remember you said something like this!

Thank you! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back