Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. we have high alk would you suggest we use both the stability and the prime or just one of those? My husbands on board to try!

hi I use both and they work hand in hand. Prime is a water conditioner basically that makes nitrates breakup into a non toxic form but you need a skimmer or chaeto algae to remove the nitrates. Stability isa bacteria that helps the cycle of nutrient breakdown so both combined Is powerful stuff. You really cannot overdose any of these 2. If your alk is high this won’t help. I would just control the alk by adding RO water and not tap water. Or you can get more live rock that will consume the alk over time. Hope this helps And reach out to me anytime . Thx

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

reefruss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an unusual tank, it's 30" deep and I stacked the rock quite high in the tank. It's almost all caves and the fish love it. It provides the ultimate cover for the fish, any time they feel threatened they just dart into the caves/rock work. It's fun to watch, they dart into one hole and emerge from another.
20200323_200247.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

CarolynZ

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the sand that fills the caves on the bottom of the rock work? It is not easily cleaned. Is this a problem?

I am redoing my rock scape and I have lots of cave shape rocks, but I'm concerned about sand and detritus settling in the caves.

OP
OP
C_mo97

C_mo97

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Terr-c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the sand that fills the caves on the bottom of the rock work? It is not easily cleaned. Is this a problem?

I am redoing my rock scape and I have lots of cave shape rocks, but I'm concerned about sand and detritus settling in the caves.

I have 2 small power heads pointing to the back, one on each end to keep flow moving all around the back and in between the rocks. The hardest thing was getting the flow right to keep from blowing the sand everywhere.

User

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my scape is all tunnels (pvc) with multiple openings at different levels and spots in the tank.
fun watching a fish enter at one spot and come out at another location half the tank away.
I have damsels that have taken up residence in some openings, one with one of my blood shrimp.
one of my BTA's has it's foot in the gap between two openings and moves from one opening to the other without changing it's anchor point.
View attachment 1476716
View attachment 1476717

Insane 'rock' work. Saw your build thread- great work

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not easy to see from this tank shot but my display has lots of caves and coves built in the rockwork. I predominantly have blennies and gobies which are peaceful shy fish for the most part. I also have empty coco worm tubes and barnacles for the fish to retreat into when they need a quiet moment.

jokerjohnson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my scape is all tunnels (pvc) with multiple openings at different levels and spots in the tank.
fun watching a fish enter at one spot and come out at another location half the tank away.
I have damsels that have taken up residence in some openings, one with one of my blood shrimp.
one of my BTA's has it's foot in the gap between two openings and moves from one opening to the other without changing it's anchor point.
View attachment 1476716
View attachment 1476717
How did you get rock to cover pvc like that so flush? Did it come hollow like that? Very incredible

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back