Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be THAT guy... but I feel sorry for fish living in minimal aquascapes with nowhere to hide/sleep.

caves not only keep territorial stress levels to a minimum, but they also provide shelter from the current so they can sleep.

I have 21 fish in a 110 gallon display and there are zero conflicts. I figure if I live with 20 housemates, do I want to all live in a gymnasium or a huge condominium with my own pad?View attachment 1476708
Your tank is awesome. I really like it!

RtomKinMad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have pretty rock work with caves and stuff. It was awesome. Then I added 3 haddoni anemones over time and now it looks like a war zone. They can easily lift and push whatever they want in a tank it seems unless you have a major amount of heavy rock. The haddoni get pretty darn big as they grow and compared to ones in the wild mine are still small. Only 12 inch plus spread out when they feel like it. Not the 24 inch and bigger you can see in wild pics.
That sounds really cool can you post a picture of the anemones! Please!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefscaping isn't just about how it looks nor is it just about fish having somewhere to hide or sleep in. It's also about and IMO just as important if not more so, about a feeling of being secure in the environment we create for them. If fish have a natural environment to them then stress is reduced less stress the happier the fish are. The happier the fish are the healthier they are. IMO there is more to stress in a fish than you can see at times. Nature has the answer to everything, try as best you can to copy her.

Lindaanne60

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jvalle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F4C36540-0B6E-49FD-872B-2DD18266A002.jpeg

I also like the caves especially with the two eels. If not they get stressed

Nutramar Foods

Jvalle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful tank! I love the colors and the coral!! How do you get so much growth and color.. I have such a brown thumb!
Hi thanks. I try to take good care of the tank regularly because I don’t do water changes. I have had this tank running for two years. I use prime and stability daily and top off. I do check water Twice a day and dose as needed. I run a big refugium below with a skimmer and keep the sump and filter socks always clean. I also run phosphate media and carbon below. I also use reef roids 2 times a week . Just have to be on top of it and having a big tank also helps. Thanks again.

Avast

RtomKinMad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks. I try to take good care of the tank regularly because I don’t do water changes. I have had this tank running for two years. I use prime and stability daily and top off. I do check water Twice a day and dose as needed. I run a big refugium below with a skimmer and keep the sump and filter socks always clean. I also run phosphate media and carbon below. I also use reef roids 2 times a week . Just have to be on top of it and having a big tank also helps. Thanks again.
Your doing a great job looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your routine. I’ve never heard of using prime and stability daily may I ask why you use those? I have used both before just not for a long time. We have a 300gal 4yrs old. We just can’t grow much coral. We recently added a phosphate and nitrate reactor is carbon once a week. Every two week 10% water changes. But we also have very high nutrients due to so many fish. We dose balance daily for ph. We don’t add calcium or mag those stay high with water changes. Our alk is always high
Can’t seem to ever get that lower and is high in our well water. Well thanks again for sharing. I loved all the pictures!

Jvalle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing a great job looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your routine. I’ve never heard of using prime and stability daily may I ask why you use those? I have used both before just not for a long time. We have a 300gal 4yrs old. We just can’t grow much coral. We recently added a phosphate and nitrate reactor is carbon once a week. Every two week 10% water changes. But we also have very high nutrients due to so many fish. We dose balance daily for ph. We don’t add calcium or mag those stay high with water changes. Our alk is always high
Can’t seem to ever get that lower and is high in our well water. Well thanks again for sharing. I loved all the pictures!

hi prime and stability keep my nitrates in check along with the chaeto in the refugium . The most important part to all of this is keeping the chaeto and filter sock always clean. Daily maintenance is the key for me. I have to keep it clean also because it is mounted inside my living room wall and it’s a center piece when guests come

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep lots of caves... They are vital for the fish to hide and sleep. Of course I'm an old school rock stacker and don't do aquascapes per se so always lots of caves and a couple intentional larger ones that i.e. my purple tang stays in. I have a 6ft tank full of rock so almost limitless places for fish, especially smaller ones to hide, lurk or hunt. I've always been of the opinion that most scaping lends itself to a pretty structure w/o much functionality and too little live rock in a tank. And of course all the dry or fake rock tends to lead to a lack of biodiversity even if you are buying addons.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bruce60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more of a challenge when you have a tank that is viewable from all four sides, but I managed to create many different spaces for fish and other critters to hide out.
IMG_0637.jpeg

This first image has an arch, but there are multiple small nooks and crannies for fish to swim through between the individual rocks of the structure.
IMG_0643.jpeg

On the flip side you can see the arch closest to you. The center portion of the tank is a lattice of branch rock camouflaging the central pipe that contains the overflow and return pipes.
IMG_0640.jpeg

From the opposite end of the tank you can see the rock shelf. I have a couple of fish that love to hang out under the shelf. There are multiple smaller areas in which fish can hide. You can see one between the shelf and the supporting rock closest to the camera. You can also see another view of the central cave.
IMG_0641.jpeg

From the flip side you can see a small cave connecting the shelf and central sections. I tried to create an environment where fish have ample places for hiding while maintaining 360 degree views.
IMG_0645.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg

RtomKinMad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi prime and stability keep my nitrates in check along with the chaeto in the refugium . The most important part to all of this is keeping the chaeto and filter sock always clean. Daily maintenance is the key for me. I have to keep it clean also because it is mounted inside my living room wall and it’s a center piece when guests come
I never knew that prime and stability could do that... my nitrates are so high.. I think we will try that!! Thank you so much for explaining.. it looks like it works really well!!! Your tank is exactly how we hoped ours would look! Thank you

Jvalle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew that prime and stability could do that... my nitrates are so high.. I think we will try that!! Thank you so much for explaining.. it looks like it works really well!!! Your tank is exactly how we hoped ours would look! Thank you

thx and good luck

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back