DNA Testing for the Reef Tank - Ask me anything

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy question. Can your tests indicate the presence of things like acro or euphylia eating flat worms? What about other coral parasites like nematodes, red bugs, or black bugs? This could be helpful in tanks that are losing coral to direct treatment protocols.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first read aquarium dna testing. My thoughts were proving a coral is a real named coral or fake . Like your acropora is indeed a purple monster.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually really curious which is why I asked my questions. I'm not trying to shoot down the tests in any way, just truly wondering if there might research I can read that chracterizes or gives insight into what determines a reef's microbiome is healthy aside from evenness.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I watched a Youtube video of you speaking a while back and believe I recall you mentioning that populations of bacteria compete which generally leads to less diversity and certain bacteria becoming far more abundant than others due to this competition. If I'm not mistaken, how would rubble rock help spread diversity in an already established tank, particularly if it's large? Wouldn't the small populations of different bacteria be quickly outcompeted I ask this because you sell rock rubble.
I am not adding to your question, just pointing out that there is a similar claim by bottled bacteria vendors and a belief in the hobby that bacteria can be dumped into an aquarium and they go to work, no competing, no resistance to them joining an existing biofilm, etc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not adding to your question, just pointing out that there is a similar claim by bottled bacteria vendors and a belief in the hobby that bacteria can be dumped into an aquarium and they go to work, no competing, no resistance to them joining an existing biofilm, etc.
I'm skeptical either actually add to the microbiome in a meaningful way that would have any positive effect unless the aquarium is freshly set up and uncolonized by bacteria or other microorganisms. The thing is, there's not really a standardized test for measuring the effectiveness of either. Id assume the rock rubble would have greater potential, but as mentioned in the Youtube video, if I recall correctly, the bacteria would likely be outcompeted over time.
This is only my opinion and if Aquabiomics can explain why this isn't the case, I'd be happy to listen.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eli @AquaBiomics

Please respond here
You said we could ask you anything

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back