+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

View attachment 2759779The green rocks towards the front are new dry rocks that I added. The purple ones are KP rocks.

You can see there’s no diatom growth on the rock work, but you can clearly see them on the powerhead.

If you look at the back wall, you can see the coralline algae. Here’s a close up of it:

View attachment 2759777Here you can see brown growing on the coralline.

Tagging @Randy Holmes-Farley so he can see it as well. :)

Are you tracking silicate? Does the glass ever go green between doses?

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t expecting the silica dosing for the purpose of encouraging diatoms and sponges to outcompete coralline algae.

I think I can slightly decrease the silica dose, but is this supposed to happen? I clearly see diatoms growing over the coralline.
diatoms are very fast growers, your pics show a lot of diatom growth. They can lower nutrients, but other than that, I don't see any particular reason that coralline would have to be harmed by diatoms growing around or on them.
grazers will probably scale up to the challenge. You can see evidence of them in the pics also.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you tracking silicate? Does the glass ever go green between doses?
I only started dosing silicates a week ago. The algae on the back wall was green all this time, but now it’s turning brown. I supposed I will allow it to go green before I start dosing again - and I will cut my dose by 50%. I’m seeing positive results by dosing silicates, mainly pineapple sponge growth!
diatoms are very fast growers, your pics show a lot of diatom growth. They can lower nutrients, but other than that, I don't see any particular reason that coralline would have to be harmed by diatoms growing around or on them.
grazers will probably scale up to the challenge. You can see evidence of them in the pics also.
Thank you! I do plan on getting more of the larger snails because they do a great job!

Thanks. Great collection of fish!
Thank you, Dan! :)

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back