Dead Butterfly fish diagnosis

Miller Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My raccoon butterfly fish was looking perfect no signs of disease he stopped eating yesterday. Everything else is looking perfect. I was just wondering if this looked like any certain disease. The main thing that looks different is those weird brown looking things on his snout. I came home from a fishing trip for a couple hours and when I came back he had a very hard time swimming he was swimming upside down and in circles.

IMG_0068.png

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any pic but post mortem are difficult to diagnose from

How long have you had it? Any issues with other fish? What was it eating?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My raccoon butterfly fish was looking perfect no signs of disease he stopped eating yesterday. Everything else is looking perfect. I was just wondering if this looked like any certain disease. The main thing that looks different is those weird brown looking things on his snout.

IMG_0068.png
You have camera flash in very area needed to be seen. These fish susceptible to both bacterial and uronema and the flash is whiting out the area. I hope you have other pics? As it decays, it becomes harder to tell

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Miller Aquatic

Miller Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it for a week or so no everything else is eating well. It was eating nori, brine, blood worms and even flakes.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My raccoon butterfly fish was looking perfect no signs of disease he stopped eating yesterday. Everything else is looking perfect. I was just wondering if this looked like any certain disease. The main thing that looks different is those weird brown looking things on his snout. I came home from a fishing trip for a couple hours and when I came back he had a very hard time swimming he was swimming upside down and in circles.

IMG_0068.png

One thing that causes a fish to stop eating and then be dead by the next day is Amyloodinium/velvet. However, that also causes the fish to breath faster. Are you certain it wasn’t breathing faster than bowlers before it died?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t I see a million little white dots everywhere if it was velvet?
No - freshwater velvet (a different species) shows the millions of dust spots. Marine velvet shows rapid breathing, not eating and hanging in water flow as the main symptom. In some cases, towards the end, the skin can look sort of “cloudy” or congested. Many pictures online of fish with “velvet” are actually of fish with late stage marine ich.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any of these signs. Say I did have it what treatment would work in a fowlr system?
Not many options for treating marine velvet. Coppersafe is the first pick, but will be absorbed by live rock and will kill invertebrates. Chloroquine will work and doesn’t absorb into the rocks, but it will kill everything in the tank except the fish - algae, most invertebrates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Miller Aquatic

Miller Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is eating does that mean I don’t have velvet or could it just be waiting for its cycle to strike again. How long of them still eating would mean I’m in the clear of velvet?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is eating does that mean I don’t have velvet or could it just be waiting for its cycle to strike again. How long of them still eating would mean I’m in the clear of velvet?
If the fish are all eating well, they won’t have abn acute disease like velvet. They might be chronic carriers I suppose, but that is pretty rare, I’ve not seen it myself.
Some research indicates that velvet has a 21 day life cycle, so 30 days for a clearing time would be the minimum.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m just very nervous because I’ve heard that velvet is the black plague of saltwater.:anxious-face-with-sweat:

Velvet, Amyloodinium, kills marine fish VERY quickly, but it is not as common as other diseases like ich. I haven't seen a case myself in at least five years now.....

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back