Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it live sand like pre packaged live sand similar to the Carib Sea stuff or did you get actual live sand from an established tank or from the ocean?
It was Carib sea live sand which I understand makes cycling take a little bit longer, would you recommend just keep waiting and not adding anymore ammonia or adding some more bacteria?

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya got me fooled then

There has to be ammonia coming from somewhere and it isn’t bagged sand or dead rock…need to think about any possible options

One option would be that you ammonia has been close to 4 since you added the initial drops of ammonia and your test yesterday was inaccurate for some reason

AS
OP
OP
D

debow

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya got me fooled then

There has to be ammonia coming from somewhere and it isn’t bagged sand or dead rock…need to think about any possible options

One option would be that you ammonia has been close to 4 since you added the initial drops of ammonia and your test yesterday was inaccurate for some reason
Would you recommend adding more bacteria to lower the ammonia?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell but has the nitrite moved at all between the two? That should move up if ammonia went up. Was anything in the tank previously used (i.e. the rock or sand)?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
D

debow

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell but has the nitrite moved at all between the two? That should move up if ammonia went up. Was anything in the tank previously used (i.e. the rock or sand)?
Day 4

Attachments

• 97F6D357-8B2C-4FE9-AD64-DE9D2CE7E041.jpeg
    97F6D357-8B2C-4FE9-AD64-DE9D2CE7E041.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
D

debow

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting a bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 and double dosing it and I’d bet your ammonia would be gone in 48 hours…anything else is more than likely a waste of money
Day 4

Attachments

• 6664E494-AF40-498B-B8C1-17A2EBE52D5E.jpeg
    6664E494-AF40-498B-B8C1-17A2EBE52D5E.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 14

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok something is not right. Was the rock previously used (or the sand)? It's either the rock is curing and things are rotting or the test kits had gone bad for some bizzare reason. Also please ignore anyone who says API tests are useless. They aren't, they just have poor resolution. The tank water isn't cloudy right?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
D

debow

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok something is not right. Was the rock previously used (or the sand)? It's either the rock is curing and things are rotting or the test kits had gone bad for some bizzare reason. Also please ignore anyone who says API tests are useless. They aren't, they just have poor resolution. The tank water isn't cloudy right?
No, new dry rock and new live sand

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try another test kit. Or on another sample of water with a known quantity of ammonia. I have a feeling this is an error with the test or testing for whatever reason unless the first one was a fluke and the bottle of bacteria was a dud

World Wide Corals

immo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting a bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 and double dosing it and I’d bet your ammonia would be gone in 48 hours…anything else is more than likely a waste of money
I'm guessing if I understand right, OP is using Brightwell's Microbacter XLM. I also under went the same rise in ammonia as shown by also an API test kit. I also dosed Fritz 9 (not turbostart 900, which are the same bacteria, just different concentrations) and my ammonia was gone within 24 hours. My nitrite lingered for a very long time, even after a 100% water change, my nitrite and nitrate were elevated - 2 ppm, and 20 ppm. I believe the nitrite was actually higher, but went with 2 ppm for my records, seeing as it really didn't make a difference anyway, but I believe it was upwards of 5 ppm (API colors are really hard to determine) and stayed elevated for another 2 weeks. My nitrate increased from 20 ppm on 2/7 to 80 ppm 2/16 with only a 1" clown fish. I did several 30% water changes, and then 5 10% water changes. And another 30% water change to reduce my nitrite to 0.5 ppm (0.5 on API, 1.0 on Red Sea) and 10 ppm (same reading on both test kits). Buckle up, OP.Your numbers are gonna drive you nuts. Add Fritz - 2-3 days if ammonia is gone, and nitrate is reading, 100% water change. Add 1 fish. Go slow. I don't have nearly the experience that these other guys do, but I am just on the other side of the hill from where you are now.

Also, for others - myself, and my friend both experienced the exact same increase in ammonia, and sky high nitrites, started the same tank, with all the same stuff, at the same time, both using Brightwell.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back