Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are fine. But "very high" nitrate would be over 100 in this situation... and if you still have nitrITE, the nitrATE will be falsely high. Once you're cycled, then do a water change to get nitrates to 20-ish (or below).
Okay thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always advocate for patience and think you're doing a good job making sure to not rush things; I do believe you're safe to start adding some cuc (assuming your lights are on and there's algae) and slowly adding fish. Just remember, a tank is "cycled" when it has enough nitrifying bacteria to handle the current bioload; adding fish increases the bioload and you need to give the bacteria time to catch up after each addition... this is also why some suggest adding a capful of the shelf-stable (i.e. not refrigerated) type of bacteria with each fish addition, just to boost the bac population. (Not really necessary though unless you're adding more than 1-2 fish per month...)
Thank you for telling me things I didn't know (learning new things everyday)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a nitrate spike “which you did” you’re cycled.. I’m guessing the nitrite reading is false or your nitrates would be super high with a false reading as eyore mentioned.. should be good to go as long as you start adding fish slowly..
Oh Ok thank you for telling me !

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got another question I am probably going to start getting some fish for my aquarium what fish do you recommend for a new saltwater beginner?
What size tank? Clowns are always hardy fish.. fire fish, cardinals…!

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank size is 10 gallons ( now I regret not getting a bigger one lol but that's what I got)
Any of the ones I mentioned above would be fine… if you wanna upgrade now would be the time lol.. just move your current rock and water everything to a bigger tank.. it would skip the cycle and just act as a large water change..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the ones I mentioned above would be fine… if you wanna upgrade now would be the time lol.. just move your current rock and water everything to a bigger tank.. it would skip the cycle and just act as a large water change..
I Will stick to 10gallons for now LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend some snails for algae or is there no need ?

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Will stick to 10gallons for now LOL
I you can do 10, I currently still have my 10, it’s looking okay although one of my alves are a bit annoyed. Be PATIENT. I dug a huge hole in my budget after I saw my clowns survive 2 days. I decided it was time for corals. It was NOT. Since it’s a small system try to keep salinity as stable as possible. Wait at least 3 months ( I waited 7 for corals) there was absolutely no need to wait that long it’s just that I didn’t feel comfortable getting them before. Don’t forget almost everyone has small losses in the beginning, just push through them bro

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend some snails for algae or is there no need ?
Clean up crews are nice yes! Just a couple torchus, ceriths and a turbo should be plenty. And if you wanna throw a couple small blue leg hermits for character go right ahead..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crews are nice yes! Just a couple torchus, ceriths and a turbo should be plenty. And if you wanna throw a couple small blue leg hermits for character go right ahead..
I like blue leg hermits those are cute
I'll take your advice thx

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back