Cycling tests showing 0 Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates for 14 days

NR1554

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started into the Reef Hobby with a new RedSea Reefer Max 250G2+ with all RedSea equipment. Got it all set up, rockscaped it with 55 lbs. Carib-Sea Life Rock, added 40 lbs. Carib-Sea Live Reef Sand, LFS saltwater, and ran it for a week with the skimmer cup dumping back "clean" collection back into sump. I use homemade Ro/DI water in the ATO. After seven days added one bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only in the morning and later that day added two captive bred Ocellaris Clownfish. The day after turned on light schedule at 20% blue and 10% white 8am to 6pm with ramps at beginning and end. Turned on the ReefMat 250 at its lowest setting, and began tuning the skimmer. I have feed the fish with 1-2mm slow sinking pellets, twice a day, feeding only what they are eating. It's been 14 days since fish were added and daily tests with a fresh API Test Kit show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 0 Nitrates. On day 7 a small amount of Diatoms showed up on the non-shaded areas of the sand, basically staying the same for the last 7 days. My question to the group is whether or not the tank is cycled? I would like to add more fish, slowly, and then follow with coral.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably cycled for the two small fishes.
How clear does the water look? Can you post a picture?

Upvote 0

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started into the Reef Hobby with a new RedSea Reefer Max 250G2+ with all RedSea equipment. Got it all set up, rockscaped it with 55 lbs. Carib-Sea Life Rock, added 40 lbs. Carib-Sea Live Reef Sand, LFS saltwater, and ran it for a week with the skimmer cup dumping back "clean" collection back into sump. I use homemade Ro/DI water in the ATO. After seven days added one bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only in the morning and later that day added two captive bred Ocellaris Clownfish. The day after turned on light schedule at 20% blue and 10% white 8am to 6pm with ramps at beginning and end. Turned on the ReefMat 250 at its lowest setting, and began tuning the skimmer. I have feed the fish with 1-2mm slow sinking pellets, twice a day, feeding only what they are eating. It's been 14 days since fish were added and daily tests with a fresh API Test Kit show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 0 Nitrates. On day 7 a small amount of Diatoms showed up on the non-shaded areas of the sand, basically staying the same for the last 7 days. My question to the group is whether or not the tank is cycled? I would like to add more fish, slowly, and then follow with coral.
No way to tell from this information. Dr Tim’s is often very slow to get started and since the ammonia level in your system is likely to be very low, very little of the Dr Tim’s bacteria have developed. Maybe the live sand is doing something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NR1554

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably cycled for the two small fishes.
How clear does the water look? Can you post a picture?
I am thinking that the initial cycle is complete. The nitrates which haven't shown up, will probably come in the next week(s)? The water quality is clear. I am very surprised how quick the cycle went. Thanks

thumbnail_processed-4BF2639E-3E14-4F64-9F95-6C84B144CC0F.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks nice!
I would leave the lights off, especially since it looks like the tank will get some natural light. Helps keep the algae away.

What fish or CUC will you add for algae?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NR1554

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks nice!
I would leave the lights off, especially since it looks like the tank will get some natural light. Helps keep the algae away.

What fish or CUC will you add for algae?

This is the worst part of the tank.
Diatoms or Green Algae?
Thinking Emerald Crab, Trochus Snails, and possibly a lawn mower blenny?

Upvote 0

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say a "fresh api kit" do you mean fresh as in new or fresh as in freshwater?

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back