CuC QT

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I ordered the smallest CuC package from saltwaterfish.com along with some shrimp and crabs for my new 250gal. They should come tomorrow. I don't have any fish or inverts in the tank yet. Just some chaeto in the fuge from Algaebarn.

I do have some fish coming from marinecollectors.com that I paid to have them QT. I was going to put the clown from that order into my (also new) 15gal AIO that only has a mangrove propagule.

Now I'm worried about parasites on the CuC. So I'm thinking maybe I should put all of the fish in the 250 for now and put all of the inverts in the 15 for now. Do you think I'll be able to keep all of these inverts in a 15gal tank for a couple of months or is it too many mouths and not enough water? Both tanks were cycled with Ammonium Chloride.

25 x assorted hermits
25 x assorted snails (margarita or turbo)
5 x Nassarius
4 x Peppermint Shrimp
2 x Emerald Crab
10 x Cerith Snails

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC's don't carry the same parasite as fish, so the risks are less, but nevertheless there is still a small risk. It's hard to QT algae eating CuCs unless you have another system already with algae in it.

When I ordered from reefcleaners.org several times, I didn't QT but what I did do was carefully scrub each and every snail shell with an electric toothbrush, then washed them in a separate container with tank water.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC's don't carry the same parasite as fish, so the risks are less, but nevertheless there is still a small risk. It's hard to QT algae eating CuCs unless you have another system already with algae in it.

When I ordered from reefcleaners.org several times, I didn't QT but what I did do was carefully scrub each and every snail shell with an electric toothbrush, then washed them in a separate container with tank water.

I figured I could probably take care of the shrimp, hermits and emeralds with TDO pellets and Algae Extreme pellets. Maybe some frozen PE Mysis. Not too sure about the snails. The Nassarius would probably eat the pellets. Not sure about the turbos and margaritas.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I could probably take care of the shrimp, hermits and emeralds with TDO pellets and Algae Extreme pellets. Maybe some frozen PE Mysis. Not too sure about the snails. The Nassarius would probably eat the pellets. Not sure about the turbos and margaritas.

My main concern is that my 250 has a roller mat, DC skimmer and a basketball size ball of chaeto. The 15 very much does not have those things. Very frequent water changes maybe.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're committed to QT them, then I'd put them all in the 15gal tank. For your specific CuC pack, I believe some nori should take care of margarita, turbo, cerith, and emerald crab. Hermits, shrimps, and nassarius can be fed any meaty food.

That should also help cycle the 15gal AIO.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I should have gotten them from reefcleaners.org. It seems that they keep theirs in fishless systems. Now I know.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I couldn't qt snails I would wipe their shells in hydrogen peroxide VERY carefully.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I should have gotten them from reefcleaners.org. It seems that they keep theirs in fishless systems. Now I know.

They're reputable and I can vouch for them. One of the biggest vendors for CuC.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I couldn't qt snails I would wipe their shells in hydrogen peroxide VERY carefully.

And now they have frosty tips! lol. I would think that would take care of any free swimming protozoa, but I'm not sure about the eggs. Better than nothing I guess.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still QT them since even though they are fishless you don't know how long they have been there. 76 days is a long time.

Inverted Reef has quality QT CUC you can add right to the tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always put some grow light or refugium light over the invert QT and some dry rock. That will grow algae quickly.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still QT them since even though they are fishless you don't know how long they have been there. 76 days is a long time.

Inverted Reef has quality QT CUC you can add right to the tank.

They say they have a strict QT process to ensure they are parasite free on their website, but maybe that is just BS. One man's QT is not the same as another man's.

I do see "dates when ready" on the Inverted Reef website. That gives me a little more confidence that they are actually QTing them opposed to just dumping freshly arrived from wholesaler snails in to the fishless system with everything else.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say they have a strict QT process to ensure they are parasite free on their website, but maybe that is just BS. One man's QT is not the same as another man's.

I do see "dates when ready" on the Inverted Reef website. That gives me a little more confidence that they are actually QTing them opposed to just dumping freshly arrived from wholesaler snails in to the fishless system with everything else.

They are a sponsor on humblefish forums and are held to a high standard there or removed. You can find reviews there as well.

Very few places I trust 100%, basically this place and Fishotel go to my DT and everything else gets my own QT/observation.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a sponsor on humblefish forums

You are referring to Inverted Reef? I was saying that reefcleaners claim to follow a strict QT on their website, but who knows if they actually do or what that QT process actually is.

I'll have to check out Fishotel. I've been ordering fish from marinecollectors because it seems like they have a pretty good therapeutic QT process.

Does anyone know if any of the LFS in the Miami area follow good QT practices or offer it as a service? I'm talking both fish and inverts.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are referring to Inverted Reef? I was saying that reefcleaners claim to follow a strict QT on their website, but who knows if they actually do or what that QT process actually is.

I'll have to check out Fishotel. I've been ordering fish from marinecollectors because it seems like they have a pretty good therapeutic QT process.

Does anyone know if any of the LFS in the Miami area follow good QT practices or offer it as a service? I'm talking both fish and inverts.

Ya, inverted reef. Reef cleaners just keeps no fish but there is no telling if they had the snail 1 day or 10 days or 80 days.

Inverted reef has a system and timer to make sure they have been fish less at specific temps for a specific period. It’s on their website exactly how they fallow them.

I don’t think marine collectors does observation without meds? Idk someone just got a butterfly from them and I was not impressed but can’t say I have personally used them. They do have rare fish which is nice.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think marine collectors does observation without meds? Idk someone just got a butterfly from them and I was not impressed but can’t say I have personally used them. They do have rare fish which is nice.

I believe marine collectors does 14 days in copper with formalin baths for fish that will tolerate it. I'd rather my fish get medicated QT than just watch them for a few weeks. Who knows if they are infected, but their immune system has it under control. I'd rather just try to keep pests out of my tanks for as long as possible.

It does look like Fishotel is more reasonably priced. I just ordered a goby from them. Thanks for the tip.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe marine collectors does 14 days in copper with formalin baths for fish that will tolerate it. I'd rather my fish get medicated QT than just watch them for a few weeks. Who knows if they are infected, but their immune system has it under control. I'd rather just try to keep pests out of my tanks for as long as possible.

It does look like Fishotel is more reasonably priced. I just ordered a goby from them. Thanks for the tip.

I meant 14 days of QT then 2 weeks observation out of Meds and then ship if all is good. This is what fish hotel does.

This way fish are not being just shipped right out a medication soup.

FYI fish hotel does do custom orders as well from lists that get voted on. If you sign up for the email, you will also get notification a day or two before new fish are posted on the site.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back