CUC advice for new tank please!!!

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_1782.jpeg
My tank just finished cycling. I put 2 clowns in yesterday. Feeding them a tiny bit of brine shrimp once an day.Only livestock in the tank currently. Except for some pods that came over with my established tank rocks. Clowns are doing well and eating. Tested today and ammonia and nitrite both at 0. Nitrate at 5ppm. Keeping lights off for now (except for pictures) to establish other good things in tank like coralline and beneficial bacteria before giving bad photosynthetic pests from taking over first.

What do you recommend for a CUC? Do not want to over do it or under do it.

I was thinking this FOR NOW

-1 hermit crab
- 2 nassarius snails
-2 trochus snails

Tank is a 40 gallon IM lagoon. Thought PLEASE?!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good start since you don't have much/any detritus and algae yet. perhaps also some dwarf ceriths as well for small crevices. You'll definitely want to add more as algae and detritus build up. Trochus are my favorite.

OP
OP
phillyb614

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's a good start since you don't have much/any detritus and algae yet. perhaps also some dwarf ceriths as well for small crevices. You'll definitely want to add more as algae and detritus build up. Trochus are my favorite.
Thank you for chiming in! Much appreciated!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. At some point you may want to get some sand sifters such as a conch or a small sand sifting goby like the blue dot. For that size of tank unfortunately you likely can't have any tangs but an algae blenny would be a great utilitarian fish. Once algae starts to grow then a tuxedo urchin is a great addition.

Expectation management: Coraline is photosynthetic. Unlikely it will be able to get established before algae and the uglies come. Coraline will come a few months down the line after your tank has stabilized.

OP
OP
phillyb614

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for all the information. Clearly I was led down a wrong path on some things. Much appreciated

OP
OP
phillyb614

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a look at Reefcleaners.org. They can fix you up quickly.
I was on their website earlier. I thought there was a spot on there that you can give your tank size and conditions and they would recommend a CUC team, but couldn’t find it. I didn’t look super hard though.

RWReefer

Funding a new addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on their website earlier. I thought there was a spot on there that you can give your tank size and conditions and they would recommend a CUC team, but couldn’t find it. I didn’t look super hard though.
Looks like it’s under the drop down “custom clean up crew”

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back