Corals dying :(

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your test kit saying for nitrate ? Does it matches 37 ppm?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What model tester

Larger lps like the former Trachy, and the donut coral on the sandbed will do fine on mysis. Smaller mouth coral like favia, will do well on small pellets, crushed up flake food soaked in water, or powder food like benereef or reef roids

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
At this point I don’t know what’s right or wrong as for your values. Icp is only as asccurate as the date of the sample. And your results are not close to the icp results

Your test kits reagents could be expired, fouled (water got in them) who knows.

Can you take a water sample to a LFS to get a third opinion and have them check salinity, nitrate, alkalinity, calcium, phosphate, magnesium

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and besides that, you need to learn to interpret correctly the readings from an ICP... Your ICP value for nitrate is close to 37ppm, not 0,2 as you stated on your first post. its hard to make any adjustments if you don't really know what reading you are getting...

As @VintageReefer said, Get your water tested today and lets work from there.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, and besides that, you need to learn to interpret correctly the readings from an ICP... Your ICP value for nitrate is close to 37ppm, not 0,2 as you stated on your first post. its hard to make any adjustments if you don't really know what reading you are getting...

And no Petco is not a LFS lol. Please don’t come back tomorrow and say you had petco test the water. Go to a real LFS

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i haven't calibrated the refractometer …my source water i wale water but passes trough 7 stage reverse osmosis …. Yes filters replace regularly every week…
Well calibrate it and recheck your salinity.

I mean it’s good you’re replacing your filters but THAT often? Why? Is your main supply fouling your filters THAT quickly? Every week is excessive unless you’re generating hundreds of gallons weekly and you can’t keep your TDS down. Doesn’t seem right.

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well calibrate it and recheck your salinity.

I mean it’s good you’re replacing your filters but THAT often? Why? Is your main supply fouling your filters THAT quickly? Every week is excessive unless you’re generating hundreds of gallons weekly and you can’t keep your TDS down. Doesn’t seem right.

No im sorry i thought u meant aquarium filters…
Reverse osmosis only when i see some TDS readings

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0.2 was with hanna yesterday… that icp testing was done like 2 month ago

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I don’t know what’s right or wrong as for your values. Icp is only as asccurate as the date of the sample. And your results are not close to the icp results

Your test kits reagents could be expired, fouled (water got in them) who knows.

Can you take a water sample to a LFS to get a third opinion and have them check salinity, nitrate, alkalinity, calcium, phosphate, magnesium

I think thats a good idea going to take it to LFS and check! That way like you said ill get a third opinion

Daz_1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.2 was with hanna yesterday… that icp testing was done like 2 month ago
If your corals were doing okay 2 months ago with high nitrates, and now are doing poorly with low nitrates... I think you have your answer. You're starving your corals of Nitrates.

Calibrating the refractometer is a good idea, especially if you use a 2 part dosing solution. They can raise your salinity.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the least 3 or 4 of those pieces are clearly suffering from bacterial infections. What triggered it could be all of the above or something completely different. First step is to treat the infection as finding the reason will help in the future but not save what's already taking place. I would give every piece in the tank whether it's showing decline or not a lugols bath. That will clean them up and buy you some time to fix what needs fixing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals were doing okay 2 months ago with high nitrates, and now are doing poorly with low nitrates... I think you have your answer. You're starving your corals of Nitrates.

Calibrating the refractometer is a good idea, especially if you use a 2 part dosing solution. They can raise your salinity.

Thats the thing they where not doing fine 2 months ago issue started before that…

Im going yo check the salt in LFS store just to have a third opinion

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back