Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon fellow reefers.... I do not know wants happening? My 29 year old purple coralline rock is starting to turn kind of a brown color. I have been fighting heat in my system for some months now. None of my completely covered purple rock looks very bright purple anymore. Just a kind of drab brown kind of color. Alk great 9.8. just checked nitrates 6.0 kind of high, PO 0.08 kind of high... I am Carbon dosing for well over 3 months now, up to 3.6 ml per day. I do have a little red cyno just like most do... lol. I have about 260 lbs of live rock.. And it was so stinkin deep purple... Anyone have any idea what would cause this.. Could it be the heat..! I do apologize from making this sound so generic, but I am at a lose here. Thank for any help at all.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
D

Delatedlotus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... tank temp rose up over 84.5 degrees for days and days. Cooling down with swamp cooler running during the day time. At night I am not a work and swamp cooler was off at night. I couldn't help this. Some palys and zoas bleached out, mainly some palys...

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
D

Delatedlotus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might have been to much heat, like in hot soup.. I have run for years and years fish only... But I threw in some plugs about a month and half ago..

20220901_151647.jpg 20220901_151548.jpg 20220901_151625.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

moz71

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the heat. If you didn’t add any new supplements to tank and alk and calcium have been steady. I think it’s the heat. Only other thing I seen kill coraline is exposing to air too long and big swing in alk.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of doubt it specific to heat and instead could be trace-related. I have new coralline popping up on a daily basis on my front panel which drives me up the wall. The rest of my coralline is still dark red and purple. Again, my tank has been over 84.5 degrees for last month and this week thanks to our heat wave, is sitting at 85.2. Last september, it hit 86 degrees. Still no changes in coloration. I do periodic water changes with reef crystals, so maybe the coralline is getting what it needs from that.

OP
OP
D

Delatedlotus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how long does it take to get the color back into corals, if they are bleaching out.. The zoen (what ever it is..lol) into the corals again... ? Should I be adding Red Sea AB now...

Top Shelf Aquatics

Roli's Reef Ranch

Review score
+1 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon fellow reefers.... I do not know wants happening? My 29 year old purple coralline rock is starting to turn kind of a brown color. I have been fighting heat in my system for some months now. None of my completely covered purple rock looks very bright purple anymore. Just a kind of drab brown kind of color. Alk great 9.8. just checked nitrates 6.0 kind of high, PO 0.08 kind of high... I am Carbon dosing for well over 3 months now, up to 3.6 ml per day. I do have a little red cyno just like most do... lol. I have about 260 lbs of live rock.. And it was so stinkin deep purple... Anyone have any idea what would cause this.. Could it be the heat..! I do apologize from making this sound so generic, but I am at a lose here. Thank for any help at all.
What are your calcium and magnesium levels? Coraline algae consume a lot of Mag and you may have depleted it.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesn't normally hit 85 then that could be the issue, yes. Corals are more resistant to high temps if they've been exposed to it before - but if it's unusual for your setup that could cause some issues.

Parameters would help.
Also wondering- is the coraline itself brown or is brown growing on top of it?
What is Calc and magnesium at

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back