Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was at an lfs around a week ago and they had a group of copperbands that just arrived. I asked to see them eat and was surprised that a couple of them took to frozen mysis right away. I'm pretty comfortable qt'ing but I'm worried they would stop eating during meds. Any thoughts or general info on how these fish do in copper specifically? Seemed almost too good to be true they were eating frozen so soon. Worth mentioning it would be a 100g reef tank almost all are softies and lps. The lfs does keep the wall they are on in low amounts of copper so hopefully that would help acclimate them to a higher concentration in a qt. Ty

Nutramar Foods

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep the water clean while in QT, I would not treat with meds until the copperband is fat. You can treat for worms, but I never put my copperband in copper. Never needed too. But, all my fish are treated for flukes and internal parasites.
But, I have only kept 1 for nearly 2 years. 2 years come September.
20220712_115904.jpg

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep the water clean while in QT, I would not treat with meds until the copperband is fat. You can treat for worms, but I never put my copperband in copper. Never needed too. But, all my fish are treated for flukes and internal parasites.
But, I have only kept 1 for nearly 2 years. 2 years come September.
View attachment 3152084
I failed twice before so now I do similar. I ran my current CBB through observation only QT. Been with me 13 months now. Only eats frozen and mastick but I'm fine with that as I don't feed much pellet or flake food.
20230407_152902.jpg

EDIT : if the ones at your LFS are eating frozen that's the first hurdle.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I failed twice before so now I do similar. I ran my current CBB through observation only QT. Been with me 13 months now. Only eats frozen and mastick but I'm fine with that as I don't feed much pellet or flake food. View attachment 3152103
EDIT : if the ones at your LFS are eating frozen that's the first hurdle.
Such amazing fish. My personal favorite after being able to keep one. They add so much to an aquarium. I love how they flip around when picking at live rock.

If the lfs does have a couple eating, I would snag in a heart beat. Watch them to make sure they grab the one you saw eat.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB is the only fish I didn't truly quarantine. I had it in my QT for about a week and a half with no meds and he didn't touch any food. I didn't see any illnesses so I put him into my DT to try and make it happy. I first noticed he picked at the bristle worms and worms in the sand, then he started picking up food from the sand and eventually ate from the water. It took him quite some time to feel comfortable and would not eat until then. Now he's super healthy and eats mysis shrimp

Avast

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB is the only fish I didn't truly quarantine. I had it in my QT for about a week and a half with no meds and he didn't touch any food. I didn't see any illnesses so I put him into my DT to try and make it happy. I first noticed he picked at the bristle worms and worms in the sand, then he started picking up food from the sand and eventually ate from the water. It took him quite some time to feel comfortable and would not eat until then. Now he's super healthy and eats mysis shrimp
I got mine from an online order. He did not eat frozen. Cleared out all my aiptasia, picked at the pods and worms in the live rock. Took 8 days before he started to eat prepared foods. Did not go into a qt, but I did dose the display with prazi and fed the copperband metro once he ate prepared.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never QT'ed a fish before in my life wudnt know how

I've had case of velvet in the past almost a year ago and it would be terrible to bring that into the dt again..

Maybe I'll do a short qt in copper, metro and prazi then just transfer to dt after 10-14 days.. Idk, ima have to think about it

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had case of velvet in the past almost a year ago and it would be terrible to bring that into the dt again..

Maybe I'll do a short qt in copper, metro and prazi then just transfer to dt after 10-14 days.. Idk, ima have to think about it
r you from america i mean u kinda have to QT in america but UK seems fine for fish i have a powder blue tang didn't even QT that had it for 2 years now had ich once then never came back

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm sounds like most people opt to not put them in copper. Idk how I feel about that, it makes sense just concerned for the other inhabitants. Maybe I could try a ttm qt or something? But that would prolly stress him out...
It's a risk but one I'm will to take for certain fish that are sensitive. My thought process is if the fish looks healthy after 30-45 days in QT with no signs of illness I'm comfortable placing them in the DT. I may or may treat for parasites. Other fish get full QT with copper and meds for parasites and bacterial concerns I just will not do it with a CBB. JMO

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm in the u.s. to be fair I trust this lfs quite a bit. Their fish always look good and healthy. But doesn't mean much if there's dormant disease just waiting for the fish to stress out..

But yea a 35 day observation would be a good way to go as long as the cbb is comfortable and eats while in there. Good points

Avast

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from an online order. He did not eat frozen. Cleared out all my aiptasia, picked at the pods and worms in the live rock. Took 8 days before he started to eat prepared foods. Did not go into a qt, but I did dose the display with prazi and fed the copperband metro once he ate prepared.
Much the same experience for me. I bought one that had been Qt'd and it took him several days to starting eating brine shrimp and mysis. He still only eats those and clams... and Aiptasia and other stuff he picks from the rocks.

I think finding a fat, healthy specimen is job #1. Even if he is eating at an LFS, moving him to your QT or DT may put him off aquarium type food for quite a while. I would skip any specimen that looked skinny in the chest or belly area, or was pinched above his lateral line regardless of how well the appear to eat.

Job #2 is having something he will eat at a slow pace. Something like live blackworms or fresh clams in a feeder that lets him take advantage of his long snout really helps. Or you can copy my not so recommended method... Get an Aiptasia outbreak and let him eat those while he gets acclimated to the tank.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much the same experience for me. I bought one that had been Qt'd and it took him several days to starting eating brine shrimp and mysis. He still only eats those and clams... and Aiptasia and other stuff he picks from the rocks.

I think finding a fat, healthy specimen is job #1. Even if he is eating at an LFS, moving him to your QT or DT may put him off aquarium type food for quite a while. I would skip any specimen that looked skinny in the chest or belly area, or was pinched above his lateral line regardless of how well the appear to eat.

Job #2 is having something he will eat at a slow pace. Something like live blackworms or fresh clams in a feeder that lets him take advantage of his long snout really helps. Or you can copy my not so recommended method... Get an Aiptasia outbreak and let him eat those while he gets acclimated to the tank.
Only aiptasia I have is in my second 10g tank. I have frozen clams and masticks I could try, I've had trouble sourcing live worms tho. I can look into it again.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only aiptasia I have is in my second 10g tank. I have frozen clams and masticks I could try, I've had trouble sourcing live worms tho. I can look into it again.
Dried worms can suffice sometimes. Those little feeder balls with holes in them that only the Butterfly can get in can help a lot. I made one, but they are sold on the internet.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anemones ok tho? Have a fairly small rbta
I have mine in a full reef with several anemones, lots of coral and 43 other fish. No issues with nems, etc.
Theyre not big on aptasia as expressed to be but once in a while you get lucky.
Ive had mine close to 5 years and has been an eating machine since day one and currently eats flakes and pellets from auto feeder. Its favorite offering is LRS Herbivore diet.
At introduction, mine was given a 45 min ruby rally pro bath and in tank with ruby rally pro for 2 weeks.

1684329653654.png

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I have a copperband in the qt. I've been losing sleep worrying about it. Ate at the store and seems to like fish frenzy. Gonna grab more frozen choices today and prolly make a pvc feeder. Also going to start looking for live foods but am getting freeze dried worms on sunday.. if he doesn't end up making it I will never try this fish again.. I'm not interested in trying over and over.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back