Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

BRS

Do you use carbon in your reef tank?

• I regularly use carbon in my tank

Votes: 391 58.4%
  • I occasionally use carbon in my tank

Votes: 173 25.9%
  • I have used carbon in my tank in the past, but no longer use carbon

Votes: 58 8.7%
  • I have never used carbon in my tank

Votes: 47 7.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

When it comes to presents you may wistfully stare at your tank and think, “All I want for Christmas is you” or “I want a Hippopus for Christmas”, but what about your stocking? Were you on the naughty or nice list? Will you get coal in your stocking? Ok, you don’t have to answer that, but we would like to know if you put coal in your tank - I mean, in the form of carbon and carbon dosing? Anyone else use a carbon tower for their RODI water? Do you use carbon? Tell us why or why not and share your experiences.
BRS_Carbon.jpeg

Photo by @Bulk Reef Supply

If you must know, I did actually get a large hunk of coal in my stocking when I was twelve. My dad filled the Christmas stockings that we opened on Christmas Eve and my mom was in charge of the presents that we opened on Christmas morning. I got a train set on Christmas morning, but many, many years later I still remember the coal. I deserved it and my dad got his message across. I made extra sure that I was on the nice list the next year. If you do get coal this year (and a few of you probably deserve it), I hope that it comes in the form of carbon!

Kristopher Conlin

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carbon and gfo in a reactor. It's always on my tank but not always running. I turn it on maybe twice a month or so as needed when my phosphates creep up. It keeps my water pretty clear running it that often as well.

NabberNate

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water, just the pellet charcoal that comes in my aquatop uv filter cartridges. I have the ability to run my skimmer output through a sock with carbon but never really saw the need. I have an external air line now that I think could benefit from running through a carbon container.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ChemiPure Blue if that counts... I have a few large leathers, and am wondering if I SHOULD be running extra carbon. I have tangs though, so want to make sure it's not one that's been known to contribute to HLLE.

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ran it when I first got started in the 90’s. Was told didn’t need to when I got back into the hobby two years ago. But I run it now in tanks just to avoid contamination. Also I carbon dose vodka/vinegar mix if that counts.

ClownSchool

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently moved everything into a tank with twice the volume, so I added a carbon bag to the sump to help with any possible ammonia spike associated with only having half the live rock and sand recommended for the new sized tank. I’m hoping it will help the biome until it can gradually grow to meet the larger bio-load.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back