Quiffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am looking for assistance in identifying this disease that had unfortunately taken one of my clownfish. The clownfish was perfectly fine for over a week after I had picked it up from my LFS. Today I look at my tank and notice that it was sitting at the bottom of the tank looking extremely lethargic. A few minutes after I notice this the clown starts spinning erratically and is very disoriented. It was having trouble swimming would get swept in the current and hit the glass. When I noticed this I immediately turned off my wavemaker, but it kept spinning in place in the water (I will post a video below of what the fish was doing, but warning it is hard to watch). Since I didn't know the cause of it I had put it in a separate QT container just in case it is an infectious disease/ parasite. Then less than an hour and a half later the clown had unfortunately passed away.
My water parameters are:
Salinity - 35.0 PPM
Alkalinity - 200 PPM
Nitrate - 30 PPM
Nitrite - >.5 PPM
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Temp - 78°

Any assistance would be helpful in figuring this out, I have another clownfish and royal gramma in the main tank and am now worried of them possibly contracting this disease. Again I apologize for the insensitivity of the videos below. It is heartbreaking to watch.

Attachments

• Clownfish Video #1.mp4
    2 MB
  • Clownfish Video #2.mp4
    2.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello,
I am looking for assistance in identifying this disease that had unfortunately taken one of my clownfish. The clownfish was perfectly fine for over a week after I had picked it up from my LFS. Today I look at my tank and notice that it was sitting at the bottom of the tank looking extremely lethargic. A few minutes after I notice this the clown starts spinning erratically and is very disoriented. It was having trouble swimming would get swept in the current and hit the glass. When I noticed this I immediately turned off my wavemaker, but it kept spinning in place in the water (I will post a video below of what the fish was doing, but warning it is hard to watch). Since I didn't know the cause of it I had put it in a separate QT container just in case it is an infectious disease/ parasite. Then less than an hour and a half later the clown had unfortunately passed away.
My water parameters are:
Salinity - 35.0 PPM
Alkalinity - 200 PPM
Nitrate - 30 PPM
Nitrite - >.5 PPM
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Temp - 78°

Any assistance would be helpful in figuring this out, I have another clownfish and royal gramma in the main tank and am now worried of them possibly contracting this disease. Again I apologize for the insensitivity of the videos below. It is heartbreaking to watch.
Clown looks to be moribund and may have had an impact injury, gill issue or other but lighting is dark or off making it impossible to see the actual body.
The distress shown questions if fish will eat or breathe normal moving forward
Is it breathing normal or elevated?

I would also take a water sample to an LFS that does not use API kits which I suspect you are using to confirm readings.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My water parameters are:
Salinity - 35.0 PPM
Alkalinity - 200 PPM
Nitrate - 30 PPM
Nitrite - >.5 PPM
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Temp - 78°

Welcome to Reef2Reef

Yes, sorry - that clownfish was moribund, actively dying. That isn’t symptom of any specific disease though, so I can’t tell you if your other fish ate at risk or not.

Watch the others for rapid breathing and/or not eating.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back