Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - often times, we try to diagnose between "this disease or that". In some cases though it is actually "these diseases or those". In this case, I was focused on the clownfish mucus, but there evidently was an underlying gill disease. Multiple problems at the same time make remote diagnosis very difficult, and treatment almost impossible.

Working back through this thread - since the fish were in hypo, ich and flukes can be ruled out. I think Brooklynella was ruled out. That leaves the clownfish mucus plugs and a gill disease, most likely Amyloodinium/Velvet. The only outlier is the engineer gobies - they are tough, but I didn't think they are resistant to velvet.

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
blecki

blecki

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - often times, we try to diagnose between "this disease or that". In some cases though it is actually "these diseases or those". In this case, I was focused on the clownfish mucus, but there evidently was an underlying gill disease. Multiple problems at the same time make remote diagnosis very difficult, and treatment almost impossible.

Working back through this thread - since the fish were in hypo, ich and flukes can be ruled out. I think Brooklynella was ruled out. That leaves the clownfish mucus plugs and a gill disease, most likely Amyloodinium/Velvet. The only outlier is the engineer gobies - they are tough, but I didn't think they are resistant to velvet.

Jay
Jay, can you help me rule out some things so I know how to treat this? Gobies are fine for the moment but if they have velvet it will kill any new fish. And probably them eventually.

Can uronema kill a fish without visible wounds?

If I messed up the hyposalinity and went too low, what would the symptoms look like, and are chromis and engineer gobies (the survivors...) better able to handle hypo then the others?

I wouldn't think reef rally would be dangerous in hypo since it's safe for freshwater but I literally lost a fish after each dose of the recommended treatment. Compounding stress from illness + medication or just chance?

Are gobies sensitive to copper?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back