+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

One week ago my cleaner shrimp’ gills started to turn blackish. At the moment didn’t really think much of it and after a molt it was back to normal. Then several days ago it came back and now it’s really black (see picture). I searched the internet and only found 2 similar cases where they concluded black gill disease. However, I can’t really find much on the matter. Especially when looking at this condition in saltwater aquariums. I found that it is caused by a ciliate Hyalophysa lynni. And that this ciliate can survive without a host so that might mean that I won’t be able to house shrimp anymore. Are there more aquarists with this problem and if so, how did you deal with this and do you have some more information?

Thanks

67EA3D52-93CC-4B08-B580-C1CA4B6B0A08.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,

One week ago my cleaner shrimp’ gills started to turn blackish. At the moment didn’t really think much of it and after a molt it was back to normal. Then several days ago it came back and now it’s really black (see picture). I searched the internet and only found 2 similar cases where they concluded black gill disease. However, I can’t really find much on the matter. Especially when looking at this condition in saltwater aquariums. I found that it is caused by a ciliate Hyalophysa lynni. And that this ciliate can survive without a host so that might mean that I won’t be able to house shrimp anymore. Are there more aquarists with this problem and if so, how did you deal with this and do you have some more information?

Thanks

View attachment 2951661
This will often happens when shrimp is about to molt and upon molt will be gone

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back