Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, my blood red and skunk cleaners are model citizens. I try to do my coral feeding at the same time as my fish so they are distracted. I drop a cube of frozen in and the shrimp go after that, at the same time I turn the pumps off and spot feed with benepets coral food.

BRS

Schulks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a big enough piece of meat for the shrimp it will hold it in his mouth because he can't fit it and maybe that will distract him long enough?
but I think this is a learned behavior so you might be better off just rehoming him.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am , for whatever reason he sees LPS corals like a plate. I’d completely flood the tank with food and leave flow to wave it around, but to no avail
I feed with tweezers and give him an actual frozen piece is There a cave for him? This is where mine stays 95 percent of the time
A7CC4417-D046-4507-85D9-F4611D3D4C3D.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a frozen piece of squid. Poke a pin hole in it and run a piece of fishing line through it. The shrimp should hold on and let you drag it into a position that you can get the net under it. I caught hitchhiker crabs this way. It is important to put the net in the tank, near the target area before you go shrimping...

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed with tweezers and give him an actual frozen piece is There a cave for him? This is where mine stays 95 percent of the time View attachment 3106308
You’re lucky, mine uses a scoly as a chair. All day picking at it and pestering it.
today I finally got him out . My scoly is received heavily but still opens up at night to eat so hopefully I’ll manage to recover it

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a frozen piece of squid. Poke a pin hole in it and run a piece of fishing line through it. The shrimp should hold on and let you drag it into a position that you can get the net under it. I caught hitchhiker crabs this way. It is important to put the net in the tank, near the target area before you go shrimping...
I tried almost everything but nothing seemed to work. Finally I decided to remove the main rock today.
got all my corals dry and they are super unhappy, my mandarin jumped , everything is scared and annoyed but hopefully now everything including my molested scoly can recover. He is banished to the filter for now as I have a new tank on the way, once new tank arrives think I’ll keep him in sump or trade him for something if ai manage

Corals.com
OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a big enough piece of meat for the shrimp it will hold it in his mouth because he can't fit it and maybe that will distract him long enough?
but I think this is a learned behavior so you might be better off just rehoming him.
Ye , managed to remove him today. I understand pests killing Corals, it’s a circle of life. But I refuse to let stupidity of a shrimp kill my beautiful scoly .

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I know it's really not funny, but I laughed so hard at this because I've literally done the same thing with my old cleaner shrimp, lol. It always tried stealing from my elegance coral, but even MORE annoying - he would grab food from my long tentacle anemone, right out of it's mouth. That nem was huge, the shrimp is lucky HE didn't get eaten.

I guess I just was lucky that once I started giving the shrimp a big chunk of food before spot feeding the corals, he'd chow down on that and mostly leave them alone. That shrimp has long since passed away, but I still have a large fire shrimp. Interesting, the skunk cleaners are SO bold, but the fire shrimp has always been super shy. He never ventures more than a couple inches away from his cave. I actually feed him a big piece of mysis every other day with long tweezers, so I don't scare him - otherwise he won't come out to grab other food. I'm sure I have the most spoiled shrimp ever, lol.

I don't really have an ideas for you with yours, other than possibly setting one of those mushroom cages on top of the scoly when feeding, to keep the shrimp out?
Yee I tried feeding him but the main issue is that he uses scoly as a bloody chair. I even moved scoly and he just followed it . All day picking and staving it with his feet, and then sterling food at feeding time .
had to demolish the tank and remove main rock work to get him out but hopefully now scoly will survive ( and everything else for that matter because things got super annoyed by me today, and mandarin got scared and jumped :(

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

AcanSkywalker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m writing this after another 30 minutes of struggle to feed my corals.
For whatever reason my cleaner shrimp won’t stop trying to steal food from corals mouth.
I’ve tried everything, flooding the tank with food , spot feeding him LPS pallets, trowing pallets next to coral just for him. Nope.
he wants to take food from the coral. I’ll even smack him with pipette trying to defend the Coral and he will just go to other side of tank to steal from a different coral, and if I remove my hand/pipette/net from the aquarium he immediately goes back for scoly.
Even after it closes its mouth he tries to get the food from inside of it.

and even when it isn’t feeding time, from entire tank he decides to stand on top of scoly -.- . the scoly is start to recede from this constant abuse,
Is there any way to get him to stop touching it without turning him into shrimp pasta?
I’m hoping for some suggestions here because I’m really done with this shrimp
I put strawberry baskets over my corals when I feed them.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried almost everything but nothing seemed to work. Finally I decided to remove the main rock today.
got all my corals dry and they are super unhappy, my mandarin jumped , everything is scared and annoyed but hopefully now everything including my molested scoly can recover. He is banished to the filter for now as I have a new tank on the way, once new tank arrives think I’ll keep him in sump or trade him for something if ai manage
Drastic times call for drastic measures. Hope everyone settles back down for you. Post a pic after things calm down.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back