Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

amnesiac

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have a few extra, shoot us an email on monday
Will do!!!
Thanks for all the sweet pieces!!!
haul.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
very nice pieces. VERY NICE !!!!!

samnaz

Earthling
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What got me into reef keeping. That is long story and began when I was around 10yr old. I came from a small town in southern Minnesota. The one county without any natural lakes. Well, a rare trip up to the Minnesota Zoo brought me face to face with a beluga whale. I was hooked to marine life ever since. I unfortunately only got to have a goldfish, but loved it.
Once at university, I was able to get my own 20g fish only saltwater tank going. There was a fantastic store in St. Paul area that had salt and fresh and huge options. Although only a damsel or two and clownfish, I loved my little tank. After many moves, I had to shut it down. I had been wanting another for ages, and finally began my first reef 10yrs after my first dive into saltwater.
After visiting Hawaii with my husband and 6month old son, my husband said go ahead and start a tank. I had been working on him a while and mentioning it many times. I never slowed down.
I have 4 running tanks and two are traveling tanks. I decided that I wanted to share my love of the reef to children of the Cincinnati area. I tried to bring the reef to the classroom on my own, but ran into issues of schools being underfunded for programs. So, with a back groud in accounting, I began my own non-profit with the help of a few fellow reef keepers.
We now go into classrooms to introduce kids to the coral reefs and educate them on many aspects of the animals and this amazing ecosystem. My hobby has become my passion to get others involved and caring as much as I do for our natural coral reefs. Our program has grown and we do many summer programs at day cares and boys and girls clubs too. What a great way to spend my free time by sharing the reef with kids.
View attachment 704026
Wow. Incredible story, almost brings a tear to my eye! Seeing a coral reef up close and personal, it's hard not be amazed. Learning about all the fascinating creatures and understanding the complex ecosystem allows you to appreciate the reef on a whole other level. And, let's be honest, we need more humans appreciating the reefs and the ocean (let's just say the planet in general). I cannot thank you enough for doing what you do for the reefs. Children are our future... and I believe they are born with an innate sense of fascination and appreciation for all life on earth, it's just hard for them to hold on to it in the world we live in today.

This is more than a hobby for me, too, it's a passion. One day I will do my part studying, researching and helping to regrow damaged reefs and ensure they don't become a thing of the past... not on my watch!

P.S. - if you didn't win free shipping @CherryCorals made a big mistake :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back