Chemiclean RUINED my tank

BRS
Nutramar Foods

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you are really totally committed, or just should be. Please explain the tub I dont understand the lack of concern over the overflowing skimmer, and I see another below. Need an education
When you use Chemiclean it causes your skimmer to overflow. I happen to use 2 skimmers on my system. The lower one is used to inject ozone into the water several hours a day. For aeration I leave them on and let them overflow.

My sump is composed of 2 stock tanks The top one drains into the big one on the bottom through 2 inch drains.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add the comment that toxins released from a lot of dead cyano may vary greatly from tank to tank depending on which species and strains of cyano are present. Are toxins the issue in any tank? Don't know, but it could be, in some or most, or maybe hardly any.

Consequently, I think it rather like tap water. It may work for some and not others, depending on the local circumstances, and one cannot use the "it worked for me" or "it didn't work for me" to generalize to other situations.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get carbon that will take all the chemicals out of tank and clear it up that's a start you need carbon chemiclean really don't need to do water change just get some carbon that will take it out in a few hrs.
Question: What would the best way be to add use carbon use on my new tank. Is 90 gallon, with a 40 sump

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: What would the best way be to add use carbon use on my new tank. Is 90 gallon, with a 40 sump
question - do you mean 'activated carbon' or 'carbon dosing'. But - I might suggest - maybe start a new thread?

World Wide Corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
activated carbon little pouch throw in sump it will take out chemiclean once your finish using it ,Carbon takes out chemicals in tank ,use chemiclean as directed if not it will cause trouble Like dead fish. Or put some in a reactor and clean the water for 24 hrs to get chemiclean out .lots of way to use carbon.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using it as a permanent utility. Like I asked earlier it would be nice to prevent all of the types of infestations if you will instead of using chemical warfare when they appear. I think BRS was correct in there assessment of problems such as these taking months to create. I am slowly absorbing no pun the different additives needed in an ecosystem to keep it healthy. I experienced this particular ( cyano )one in the past before using RO water. I just made a small suction tube, and kept sucking it out until it did not appear any more. Guess I just was lucky. As suggested I did start a thread regarding what to add to a sump some time ago. I did not receive any answers so I started searching so far with no success

Avast

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using it as a permanent utility. Like I asked earlier it would be nice to prevent all of the types of infestations if you will instead of using chemical warfare when they appear. I think BRS was correct in there assessment of problems such as these taking months to create. I am slowly absorbing no pun the different additives needed in an ecosystem to keep it healthy. I experienced this particular ( cyano )one in the past before using RO water. I just made a small suction tube, and kept sucking it out until it did not appear any more. Guess I just was lucky. As suggested I did start a thread regarding what to add to a sump some time ago. I did not receive any answers so I started searching so far with no success
whatever or however you use carbon, you will need flow through it without a lot of movement/grinding ...pardon the brevity, and deviation

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much flow here that the cyano bacteria is has streamers!! Lol
E39FADC2-C231-44A6-8486-BA24EF715CF7.jpeg

Here is the power head providing that flow.
48DD9539-4CA6-4F6C-9DE6-20B47BA444B7.jpeg
Even the hair algae is loving that flow. Glass grows more Algae than my rocks, interesting.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think chemiclean used Erythromycin cetyl any more I called the company. It uses something else now they have used the antibontic in a few years

What else?

They have a history of very careful wording that may have fooled you. Maybe it's just a different form of erythromycin, or a different name for it. lol

zeronum

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else?

They have a history of very careful wording that may have fooled you. Maybe it's just a different form of erythromycin, or a different name for it. lol
I see. I am looking for this. Erythromycin cetyl sulfate which use to be in the chemi clear back 2 years ago. I am trying to use it to fight rtn. I have it right now

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

mindme

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you are really totally committed, or just should be. Please explain the tub I dont understand the lack of concern over the overflowing skimmer, and I see another below. Need an education

The chemiclean causes the skimmers to overflow. But the skimmer does a good job adding oxygen to the water, so even though you aren't really using it to pull things out of the water, it serves a good purpose.

I take the cup off mine during treatment. And the after the waterchange, I'll put the cup back on and let it keep filling up and discarding it. Usually 4 or so fill ups and it calms back down to normal.

zeronum

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm probably going to echo someone who's already given the best answer - patience, not a quick fix in a bottle is the answer.
Correct but the chemical compound is suppose to attack the bacteria associated with rtn. But I am having a hard time finding it

DavidinGA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct but the chemical compound is suppose to attack the bacteria associated with rtn. But I am having a hard time finding it

Oh, ya that's a possibility I suppose, but I wouldn't risk the other potential issues chemi-clean or its ingredients may cause in the tank imo.

I tend to think rtn/stn is directly related to a lack of biodiversity in tanks since everyone is using LR that barely resembles what real LR used to be and this lack of biodiversity that used to keep everything balanced and in check has now left systems on the verge of all these issues we see these days; like rtn/stn being one.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

zeronum

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ya that's a possibility I suppose, but I wouldn't risk the other potential issues chemi-clean or its ingredients may cause in the tank imo.

I tend to think rtn/stn is directly related to a lack of biodiversity in tanks since everyone is using LR that barely resembles what real LR used to be and this lack of biodiversity that used to keep everything balanced and in check has now left systems on the verge of all these issues we see these days; like rtn/stn being one.
Well I am doing moonshine. Nitrate is 10ish maybe 15. And phos is .06ish. Ruffly. Nothing is 100 percent accurate. My icp test doesn't show anything super low... Lost 4 colony's in 1 month. That hurts. I did frag everything I have in the take and gave it to my buddy for a copy. But we shall see

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am doing moonshine. Nitrate is 10ish maybe 15. And phos is .06ish. Ruffly. Nothing is 100 percent accurate. My icp test doesn't show anything super low... Lost 4 colony's in 1 month. That hurts. I did frag everything I have in the take and gave it to my buddy for a copy. But we shall see
You are right where you need to be.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back