Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just recently started sending in ICP test to Reef Labs and plan to use the captiv8 trace elements to dose per the recommendation spreadsheet by daily additions over a 30 day period. Adjusting each month to really key on on some elements my tank was lacking.

https://app.reef-labs.com/share/bab3cacc-fc0e-4cfe-98dc-32887f71d078

Is anyone else using this method and how is it working for you? I only bought a select few elements seen below but have another order to keep all on hand for future needs.

09F215D3-808E-4959-8A06-C2B6A2D64BB2.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.. water change is cheaper lol… what exactly is wrong with your Sps that makes you wanna dose all that stuff? I’m trying to better under stand why people send off all these fancy tests and dose all these things nowadays.. I’m old skool and we had crappy test kits and kept Sps happy with nothing more than water changes.. I almost feel these people are just trying to sell stuff.. haha…

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope.. water change is cheaper lol… what exactly is wrong with your Sps that makes you wanna dose all that stuff? I’m trying to better under stand why people send off all these fancy tests and dose all these things nowadays.. I’m old skool and we had crappy test kits and kept Sps happy with nothing more than water changes.. I almost feel these people are just trying to sell stuff.. haha…
I use Red Sea blue bucket which should be more natural and contain these elements but every test shows most are lacking.

trying to pull the colors out of some acros trace elements claim to do.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above that weekly water changes with a quality salt take care of trace elements. However, if you have a large stock of corals and only do water changes monthly or longer then trace supplements are needed. I use Redsea A B C D. Trace bottles at 10ml each once a week and my quarterly ICP are always pretty spot on.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket which should be more natural and contain these elements but every test shows most are lacking.

trying to pull the colors out of some acros trace elements claim to do.
Hmmmm.. I haven’t tried that salt.. I run reef crystals and metal halides and have no problems with colors… I would think a basic amino acid would cover it all if needed..

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with WCs being they only replace that removed but don’t bring to required that untouched.

Known about the value of trace since the 80s yet only recently has that been measurable to a degree. Doubt aquarium trade ICP is exact but better than blind guessing.

My plan is to incorporate that into ensuring levels where needed since I can’t perform 100% changes with actual sea water and not all salts carry the exact amount needed nor can one be guaranteed that if that were the case something doesn’t suddenly change in their production process. Reasoning behind RODI even if one has perfect tap.

Why ICP and manual dosing what I’ll be doing. Probably taking the Tropic Marin product then supplementing individual components. Moonshiner most likely source for the latter. Although buying direct from chemical houses if volume warrants it. Won’t know for many years on latter but at least I have a plan based on best known science and happy to see the hobby moving in a direction where we can now answer these questions including bacterial and pathogen load along with testing for cyanide used during capture. All contributing to having better success in the future.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was much younger I was collecting stamps.
Those bottles looks very shiny and I am almost tempted to collect them,but I think they will loose value with time, unlike some of my stamps which gained value.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of iron and maybe manganese if you are growing chaeto or other macro, I would not worry about any of those. Even then, I would dose individually so that you can have more finite control over the amount. If you don't care about macro algae, then forget about iron and mn.

The good thing about water changes is that a quality salt will not over dose like you can. Since there is no real set point for many of those elements, nor proof that they are necessary, less is likely better than too much. You can buy a 200 gallon box of IO for less than a single ICP test.

Lastly, don't trust ICP testing too much. I am sure that you have seen the threads on their inaccuracy in the experiment and chemistry forum. All that they seem to do is present more questions than answers. Don't believe it? Send the same water sample to three or four different places - you won't even know what to believe.

World Wide Corals
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back