GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently looking for a stronger pump to put on my eshopps nano skimmer as it doesn’t pull enough air to use my co2 scrubber, but I’m confused on what kind of pump will work with it since it’s pumping air and not water. I’m guessing it needs to be a pump with a venturi? If someone could explain to me how this works and what I need to look for it would be much appreciated.

Thank you:)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pump actually pull in the air on that skimmer? On my nano skimmer the pump doesn’t control the air intake, also the length of the air intake has to be very short or no air will be pulled in, so that could be your issue, if you have lengthened the air intake tubing too much, my skimmer came with a warning not to lengthen the tubing.

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pump actually pull in the air on that skimmer? On my nano skimmer the pump doesn’t control the air intake, also the length of the air intake has to be very short or no air will be pulled in, so that could be your issue, if you have lengthened the air intake tubing too much, my skimmer came with a warning not to lengthen the tubing.
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s the pump that pulls in the air, the pump is underwater with the tube leading out of the water. As for the length of the tubing, I have about 6 feet of tubing between the pump and the co2 scrubber. Is that too much?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s the pump that pulls in the air, the pump is underwater with the tube leading out of the water. As for the length of the tubing, I have about 6 feet of tubing between the pump and the co2 scrubber. Is that too much?
Yes the tubing will be near the pump as the air has to be near to were the water is pumped out, so just because they are near enough other doesn’t mean the pump is controlling the air intake.

For my nano skimmer yes 6 feet would be far too long, think the recommendation is only 1 foot.

Edit, just checked the manual , it actually says to not extend the air tubing at all, the tube must only be at most 20cm, so not even 1 foot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tubing will be near the pump as the air has to be near to were the water is pumped out, so just because they are near enough other doesn’t mean the pump is controlling the air intake.

For my nano skimmer yes 6 feet would be far too long, think the recommendation is only 1 foot.

Edit, just checked the manual , it actually says to not extend the air tubing at all, the tube must only be at most 20cm, so not even 1 foot.
Oh okay gotcha, what skimmer do you have?

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is my understanding as long as the pump has a needle wheel impeller it may work. The same diameter tubing can't be extended but a larger one could be. I would run a 1/2 pvc pipe outside and have your air tubing line attach to that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay gotcha, what skimmer do you have?
I have the Bubble magus mini Q which is great.

Have you checked you even need a scrubber?

Have you heard about the test you can do, check the ph of your tank water, then really aerate some tank water with an air pump outside, see if there is a difference in ph.

To be honest not sure a scrubber would have much affect on a nano skimmer.

Is your ph an issue?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’m currently looking for a stronger pump to put on my eshopps nano skimmer as it doesn’t pull enough air to use my co2 scrubber, but I’m confused on what kind of pump will work with it since it’s pumping air and not water. I’m guessing it needs to be a pump with a venturi? If someone could explain to me how this works and what I need to look for it would be much appreciated.

Thank you:)
Certain skimmers utilize specific pumps. EVO 200 and 3000 fit many units but please post pic of skimmer or brand and model

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding as long as the pump has a needle wheel impeller it may work. The same diameter tubing can't be extended but a larger one could be. I would run a 1/2 pvc pipe outside and have your air tubing line attach to that.
I would’ve done that to start with but I don’t own my home, I rent :(

I have the Bubble magus mini Q which is great.

Have you checked you even need a scrubber?

Have you heard about the test you can do, check the ph of your tank water, then really aerate some tank water with an air pump outside, see if there is a difference in ph.

To be honest not sure a scrubber would have much affect on a nano skimmer.

Is your ph an issue?
Yeah I did that test and co2 is for sure the issue

I just conducted another experiment though:

The bubbles don’t stop flowing when I put my finger over the air intake side of the scrubber, but when I take away the scrubber and put my finger over just the tubing it stops. I’ve tested this with:
•skimmer stock tubing + 8" scrubber stock tubing
•2.5 ft scrubber stock tubing alone
•3.5 ft air pump tubing from LFS
•1.5 ft air pump tubing from LFS
All with the same result

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there’s some kind of leak in the scrubber itself.

Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My skimmer is the eshopps nano skimmer, currently using the sicce micra 90gph that it came with.
A vivosun on amazon should work but dont have knowledge of long term performance. Reef Octopus Aquatrance aq 1000 should also work and the sicce units as mentioned.

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vivosun on amazon should work but dont have knowledge of long term performance. Reef Octopus Aquatrance aq 1000 should also work and the sicce units as mentioned.
Which vivosun is it? I see multiple

Also the aquatrance aq 1000 says it’s 92gph while my sicce is 90gph. Would it make a difference?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Which vivosun is it? I see multiple

Also the aquatrance aq 1000 says it’s 92gph while my sicce is 90gph. Would it make a difference?
92, little to no difference and Ive heard owners using the vivosun but not sure which one as mentioned, Ive not seen these pumps in action

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would’ve done that to start with but I don’t own my home, I rent :(

Yeah I did that test and co2 is for sure the issue

I just conducted another experiment though:

The bubbles don’t stop flowing when I put my finger over the air intake side of the scrubber, but when I take away the scrubber and put my finger over just the tubing it stops. I’ve tested this with:
•skimmer stock tubing + 8" scrubber stock tubing
•2.5 ft scrubber stock tubing alone
•3.5 ft air pump tubing from LFS
•1.5 ft air pump tubing from LFS
All with the same result

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there’s some kind of leak in the scrubber itself.

Thoughts?
Is the scrubber meant to be airtight? Air is probably getting in from somewhere, you would also have to wait a while to see a drop in bubbles when finger over air intake of the scrubber.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back