Can’t stop nuisance algae

alp5747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really feeling down lately on reef keeping the constant work and the tank not improving.

Around 3 months ago my 100 gallon tank was pristine covered coraline algea and no nuisance algea. Then I decided to plumb in a new tank and here is where it has gone down hill for the past months.

Around 50 days ago I decided to buy some frag and some of them had some bubble algea on them. Long story short the nutrients bottomed out and I started feeding more heavy and the bubble algea exploded at the same time a Green Hair algea and turf algea outbreak occurred that bottomed out nutrients and caused dinos. My question is when the tanks are infested by nuisance algea even on sps tips because of the nutrient bottoming out causing sps tips to die.

What should I do, how can I get rid of the bubble algea, hair algea and turf algea?

I have multiple tuxedo urchins and Emrald crabs that are not doing anything.

Running large skimmer

Nutrients
Phosphate 0,04-0,08 ppm
Nitrate 3-6 ppm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A foxface and a sea hare would work. The foxface will eventually get too large.

OP
OP
alp5747

alp5747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A foxface and a sea hare would work. The foxface will eventually get too large.
The tank is currently fallow which contributes to the algea getting out off hand as I have no tangs. I got a sea hare and it didn’t eat anything

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a real outbreak of bubble algae, like this level,
IMG_4246.jpeg

i’ve personally found the best method is to take out the live rock, scrub it and pick off as many bubbles as you can with tweezers, rinse in new saltwater, place back in tank. nearly impossible to replicate the rockscape but you can get something pretty close.

pictures would help also.

bubble algae loves high nutrients and low flow.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back