Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve So I gave the BTA to my brother it wasn’t doing well in my tank. What’s weird is, I have toadstool, mushroom, trumpet, and gsp that are doing well in my tank. So idk why the BTA’s quitting. It’s doing well in his tank. So I’m looking at Haddoni anemome, is it more hardier than BTA?
Haddoni is a lot more sensitive than a BTA. I would not recommend one for your tank.

For now, I would recommend getting water parameters to a decent level for your end goal of what you want to keep, focus on getting the tank to be super stable with those parameters, and get into a good routine of proper husbandry (not saying you do not have any).

Once you start to see your tank on autopilot, things growing well, testing coming up the same values over and over during a long period of time, then I would suggest you try another BTA.

Biggest thing for nems is stability and a decent set of parameters.

For example on the parameters (this does not always hold true and is only from my personal experience)

When keeping an all anemone tank (14+ different types) I kept my tank around the below.

Salinity - 1.026 consistent. No more than a .001 fluctuation in a day
Alk - 8-9 with no more than a .2 swing per day
Calcium - 420-430 (not really a big deal with nems, but has affects on other things related to the nems in terms of water quality)
Mag - 1350-1400
NO3 - 5
PO4 - .08-.1
PH - 7.8 or higher (if my PH ever got below 7.8, they would shrink up and look a little ticked off)

All of the numbers above were consistent and never wandered around much. I also ran carbon and dosed the tank with all/cal/mag and did not do water changes, excluding where I would replace water here or there from bagging up nem splits, or from where water was removed when cleaning the skimmer.

I also maintained a tank that was smaller and mostly BTA, RFA and LTA doing the same as above, except it got a 10% water change a week. I just used water that matched my current params, so I did not change anything but the nitrate and po4 (WC was to lower these).

Again, trick is stability and good water. Not clean, as in sterile, water, but at least traces of nutrients. And finally having the setup be aged enough so "You" know how the tank reacts to things and know how to manage those things.

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni is a lot more sensitive than a BTA. I would not recommend one for your tank.

For now, I would recommend getting water parameters to a decent level for your end goal of what you want to keep, focus on getting the tank to be super stable with those parameters, and get into a good routine of proper husbandry (not saying you do not have any).

Once you start to see your tank on autopilot, things growing well, testing coming up the same values over and over during a long period of time, then I would suggest you try another BTA.

Biggest thing for nems is stability and a decent set of parameters.

For example on the parameters (this does not always hold true and is only from my personal experience)

When keeping an all anemone tank (14+ different types) I kept my tank around the below.

Salinity - 1.026 consistent. No more than a .001 fluctuation in a day
Alk - 8-9 with no more than a .2 swing per day
Calcium - 420-430 (not really a big deal with nems, but has affects on other things related to the nems in terms of water quality)
Mag - 1350-1400
NO3 - 5
PO4 - .08-.1
PH - 7.8 or higher (if my PH ever got below 7.8, they would shrink up and look a little ticked off)

All of the numbers above were consistent and never wandered around much. I also ran carbon and dosed the tank with all/cal/mag and did not do water changes, excluding where I would replace water here or there from bagging up nem splits, or from where water was removed when cleaning the skimmer.

I also maintained a tank that was smaller and mostly BTA, RFA and LTA doing the same as above, except it got a 10% water change a week. I just used water that matched my current params, so I did not change anything but the nitrate and po4 (WC was to lower these).

Again, trick is stability and good water. Not clean, as in sterile, water, but at least traces of nutrients. And finally having the setup be aged enough so "You" know how the tank reacts to things and know how to manage those things.
Well, I must have done something wrong, I will admit, but I do not know what it would be. No offense taken. I love how detailed you are and I really appreciate it. Other people don't like honesty and it offends them.

So.. I do not have ATO to keep my Salinity that stable and I just top it off based on the water level at the back of the AIO mini sump. I hope it doesn't cause too much fluctuation. Idk if topping it off manually is enough to make it stable?

Anyways, you said that you don't do water changes? Is that how it should be when your tank is mature for nem only tank? I have been doing weekly water changes for my nem only tank, could that be the cause?

I'm planning on getting the triton test to make sure, but idk when I will do that since everything in my tank currently are all doing well. I'll probably get the triton test if I'm ready to take in an anemone again.. such heartache this BTA gave me lol

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back