+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic?

Also, list out tank age, parameters and what you are using for lighting (type and settings). It could be something off with chemistry. Plus a full tank shot will help.
Tank age: 1 and half year
Lighting: Reefbreeders led
Alk: 8.1 dkh
Cal: 407 ppm
Mag: 1288 ppm
Nitrate: .15
Ph: 7.5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 47

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank age: 1 and half year
Lighting: Reefbreeders led
Alk: 8.1 dkh
Cal: 407 ppm
Mag: 1288 ppm
Nitrate: .15
Ph: 7.5
is that actually .15 or 15 for the nitrate?

Also, do you know PO4 number?

I also am not sure if I believe the 7.5 for PH. What are you using to measure it? If PH is really 7.5, you need to figure out why it is that low. Could be too much CO2 in the house or not enough surface agitation to exchange the CO2 from all of the fish you have.

If .15, that is a little low and hard to believe with the fish you have and what appears to be cyano (need a white light pic to actually know) on the sand. When seeing that (if it is cyano) I lean towards nutrients being too high, out of whack, or not enough flow.

In regard to the light, what are your settings on it? Just want to make sure you are not baking the sand and lower end of the tank with too much light. Being as this appears to be a green BTA, most I have prefer lower par (80-150 at most) and reside in the lower regions of my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red 10
Green 10
Royal blue 40
White 20
Blue 40
Violet/UV 40

I moved the BTA away from the center so the light wouldnt be too concentrated

Yes, the flow is a little low because if I do turn it up the BTA would float everywhere.

[HASH=71183]#update[/HASH] on BTA: its moving with the flow off, but it still doesn’t want to stick on the rock. Will post a picture of it

For the PH have the milwaukee ph600

And yes the nitrate is .15

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 45

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red 10
Green 10
Royal blue 40
White 20
Blue 40
Violet/UV 40

I moved the BTA away from the center so the light wouldnt be too concentrated

Yes, the flow is a little low because if I do turn it up the BTA would float everywhere.

[HASH=71183]#update[/HASH] on BTA: its moving with the flow off, but it still doesn’t want to stick on the rock. Will post a picture of it

For the PH have the milwaukee ph600

And yes the nitrate is .15
They can take a while to plant their foot. While you do not want to really mess with it, I would suggest at least placing it to where it can shove its foot into a crevice. Somewhere against the main rock structure where 2/3 rocks meet and at the lower end of the tank.. BTA like to hide their feet in the rocks.

I would also turn flow back on and just watch the nem. If it settles in and finds a spot, then you turn flow back on, it will more than likely move again.

In addition, some cheap cross stick mesh, sponge/zip ties can be used to make a power head guard. If you do that, then no need to worry about nem being sucked into the PH.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be BTA/corals to a tank full of algae like that. I would cure the tanks problems... can't tell if that is dino or what but I have a feeling there might be some excess organics yet maybe low nutrients. Looks like a fairly small tank with a lot of fish and not a lot of biological filtration (rock). Even just cleaning up the tank and turning it around can be a stressor so I would add stuff after creating a healthy space. I am not sure of your source water but that is also another consideration.

BTA's are hardy so hopefully it will come around. They can be moody and look terrible sometimes but are actually fine.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take a while to plant their foot. While you do not want to really mess with it, I would suggest at least placing it to where it can shove its foot into a crevice. Somewhere against the main rock structure where 2/3 rocks meet and at the lower end of the tank.. BTA like to hide their feet in the rocks.

I would also turn flow back on and just watch the nem. If it settles in and finds a spot, then you turn flow back on, it will more than likely move again.

In addition, some cheap cross stick mesh, sponge/zip ties can be used to make a power head guard. If you do that, then no need to worry about nem being sucked into the PH.
I will work on that. I noticed the BTA that it would flip itself upside down. I set him down twice upright and he would always flip himself up and squeeze itself under the rocks but not stick on them

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be BTA/corals to a tank full of algae like that. I would cure the tanks problems... can't tell if that is dino or what but I have a feeling there might be some excess organics yet maybe low nutrients. Looks like a fairly small tank with a lot of fish and not a lot of biological filtration (rock). Even just cleaning up the tank and turning it around can be a stressor so I would add stuff after creating a healthy space. I am not sure of your source water but that is also another consideration.

BTA's are hardy so hopefully it will come around. They can be moody and look terrible sometimes but are actually fine.
The algae werent there when I had the strong powerheads but it was too much flow for the BTA. The water is from RODI

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will work on that. I noticed the BTA that it would flip itself upside down. I set him down twice upright and he would always flip himself up and squeeze itself under the rocks but not stick on them
They take time to stick. Best thing is to leave alone and hope that your tank can provide the best params for it. They are tough cookies, but do take time to acclimate.

On a side note, I would also work to address the stuff on the sand, as this should improve the overall health of the tank.

Flow is also a big part and got to keep it where the tank was fine previous to it being off. Just got to be sure to cover the PH to keep flow going and let the nem adjust to that.

Top Shelf Aquatics

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stick foot is sign of a healthy nem. It’s good it stuck originally. But then it detached. Something is irritating it. Check salinity! It could be too low after all the water changes.
You seem to have a full blown dino bloom. That for sure will bother the BTA as it’s a sign on water parameters not being good.

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Could you ask your LFS to take the nem back for holding. And work on making sure your tank is suitable. After the other nem died, your tank probably is all sorts of whack and need time before a new one

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take time to stick. Best thing is to leave alone and hope that your tank can provide the best params for it. They are tough cookies, but do take time to acclimate.

On a side note, I would also work to address the stuff on the sand, as this should improve the overall health of the tank.

Flow is also a big part and got to keep it where the tank was fine previous to it being off. Just got to be sure to cover the PH to keep flow going and let the nem adjust to that.
Good news now it’s sticking, but it’s under the rock. Now I’m using the strong poweheads and the tank cleared up a little

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 23
Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news now it’s sticking, but it’s under the rock. Now I’m using the strong poweheads and the tank cleared up a little
Just leave it be and observe for now.

Come back if it gapes (turns mouth inside out or puffs up real bad), starts to bleach real bad or expels large amounts of brown waste. Some waste will be expelled, but we are talking about really long brown strings. That would be it expelling zooxanthle (sp). It will expel a little, possibly.

Outside of that, keep tank stable and do not make any sudden changes. BTA can live in toilets if given proper time to acclimate or not seriously stressed out while acclimating.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news now it’s sticking, but it’s under the rock
That's good. It needs a dark spot to be able to get out of light. Based on your picture I'd expect it to choose those dark spots. It will elongate and reach for the light when it's ready (if it stays put). I recommend (and I may not know what I'm talking about) turning your flow on how you intend it to be so that the nem can also base it's choice on that. If it finds a spot now for instance and you crank the flow up it may want to move again if it doesn't care for it... Good luck.

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it be and observe for now.

Come back if it gapes (turns mouth inside out or puffs up real bad), starts to bleach real bad or expels large amounts of brown waste. Some waste will be expelled, but we are talking about really long brown strings. That would be it expelling zooxanthle (sp). It will expel a little, possibly.

Outside of that, keep tank stable and do not make any sudden changes. BTA can live in toilets if given proper time to acclimate or not seriously stressed out while acclimating.
Okay.. I dont mean to tick you all off, but he went out from under the rock work and flew away. He’s on the side of a rock now, but I had to turn off the strong powerheads because he was everywhere

image.jpg

World Wide Corals

GDiaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Just sharing some feedback here. When I got my first anemone this passed September things went really south for me. This Reef Builders article helped me save my anemone. I now keep Cipro on hand just in case I ever have an emergency. It cost me about $500 to save it (with all the equipment + medication). I invested the money because I was determined to save my anemone and the equipment would not go to waste. Hopefully this helps you or can be useful to anyone else. I added some photos as well of my experience. Photos day 1, 1 week after, 2 weeks after, same 2 weeks after just inside the hospital tank set up, 4 months later (today) in blues, under more white light.
8A6B100D-1476-4A42-B34D-4EF4CA333F32.png
28D4DEBE-901B-49E0-A138-176932FDA887.jpeg
CB37CB96-D2B3-405D-8903-D3BCC5F15968.jpeg
FE03462A-79A5-4BEB-8F50-9CD06817C753.png
D459822B-B81D-4F51-A7E9-91612D24E10C.jpeg
55CE44A7-6CF8-4F43-9156-5A5E70AE9003.jpeg

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Just sharing some feedback here. When I got my first anemone this passed September things went really south for me. This Reef Builders article helped me save my anemone. I now keep Cipro on hand just in case I ever have an emergency. It cost me about $500 to save it (with all the equipment + medication). I invested the money because I was determined to save my anemone and the equipment would not go to waste. Hopefully this helps you or can be useful to anyone else. I added some photos as well of my experience. Photos day 1, 1 week after, 2 weeks after, same 2 weeks after just inside the hospital tank set up, 4 months later (today) in blues, under more white light.View attachment 2966922View attachment 2966927View attachment 2966929View attachment 2966930View attachment 2966931View attachment 2966933
Thank you for sharing! Where did you get the transparent basket?

GDiaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for sharing! Where did you get the transparent basket?
The grey one in the hospital tank was from Target. The clear Acclamation box was from Amazon. I added the link for you. Also Brightwell Aquatics Coral Amino helped a lot. While it was sick you are not able to feed it so it was getting strength from the light and the aminos. Now I dose Red Sea AB+ everyday to get those aminos in. So far so good.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve So I gave the BTA to my brother it wasn’t doing well in my tank. What’s weird is, I have toadstool, mushroom, trumpet, and gsp that are doing well in my tank. So idk why the BTA’s quitting. It’s doing well in his tank. So I’m looking at Haddoni anemome, is it more hardier than BTA?

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve So I gave the BTA to my brother it wasn’t doing well in my tank. What’s weird is, I have toadstool, mushroom, trumpet, and gsp that are doing well in my tank. So idk why the BTA’s quitting. It’s doing well in his tank. So I’m looking at Haddoni anemome, is it more hardier than BTA?
All those types of coral have low lighting and flow requirements and like dirtier tanks. BTAs have higher lighting and flow requirements and like cleaner tanks

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back