Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone last Friday I bought a smaller bubble tip nem. Beautiful little guy. Anyways his size blown up was about 3” dia. Not huge but I thought we can grow with him.
aclimated him for an hour because my parameters were Simikar to the lfs
1.026 78f nitrates 2ppm phosphate .1ppm And alk 9dkh. Lights are 3 ai prime 16

so the clowns hang out in a corner so I put the nem right under a ledge on live rock very close at the bottom. Thinking if he wants to move he will. Anyway as a nem does his foot is buried under the ledge. He still have bubble tips buts now is maybe 1” dia. I have fed him some red roids and copepods since I got him. It tends to stay not enclosed but small
Any advice? Is it just taking a while. The area has decent par and flow is low to moderate moving the tips decent but gently. Thanks everyone I haven’t had a nem in 20 years. Tank is 1 year old

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Clawfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone last Friday I bought a smaller bubble tip nem. Beautiful little guy. Anyways his size blown up was about 3” dia. Not huge but I thought we can grow with him.
aclimated him for an hour because my parameters were Simikar to the lfs
1.026 78f nitrates 2ppm phosphate .1ppm And alk 9dkh. Lights are 3 ai prime 16

so the clowns hang out in a corner so I put the nem right under a ledge on live rock very close at the bottom. Thinking if he wants to move he will. Anyway as a nem does his foot is buried under the ledge. He still have bubble tips buts now is maybe 1” dia. I have fed him some red roids and copepods since I got him. It tends to stay not enclosed but small
Any advice? Is it just taking a while. The area has decent par and flow is low to moderate moving the tips decent but gently. Thanks everyone I haven’t had a nem in 20 years. Tank is 1 year old
can you add a photo?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems can take quite a while to adjust to a new tank. Some bubble tips move a lot at first, but others don't move at all in my experience. Sounds like you found a good spot for him though. Flow low/moderate is good. Happen to know the PAR in that spot? My bubble tips seem to flourish at 125 - 150 PAR

AS
OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yes it’s foot is under a ledge colour is great. I will stop feeding. If the par wasn’t enough wouldn’t it move? Flow wise I know it’s proper. Def not a dead zone that’s for sure

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s interesting is that this nem puffs out more at night when the lights go blue. Running saxby. But it’s on the bottom of my Waterbox 65.4! Weird

Top Shelf Aquatics

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yes it’s foot is under a ledge colour is great. I will stop feeding. If the par wasn’t enough wouldn’t it move? Flow wise I know it’s proper. Def not a dead zone that’s for sure
He’ll just move to the spot he likes in terms of both light and flow. You have no control.
D7F08816-6E63-48A0-8C71-B7B008FD603C.jpeg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s interesting is that this nem puffs out more at night when the lights go blue. Running saxby. But it’s on the bottom of my Waterbox 65.4! Weird
If he's more extended when the lights are starting to dim, he may be getting too much PAR during your peak times. I'm not saying you should try to move him (which usually results in a dead nem if he's anchored into an unmovable rock). Just something to keep in mind as you watch him.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a little contracted. Give it a week and see how it goes as he adjusts. He's down as low as he can go as-is. If you have another good sized rock that you can put nearby that has a good overhang, you might try that if he doesn't open up after a while.

Hooz

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have BTAs that found a spot the first day and never moved, and I have others that have been in the tank for months, have done 32 laps and still haven't found "the spot". I have a few that opened right up within minutes of putting them in the tank, and others that took a few days to puff up and look happy. One thing is for sure... Anemones are gonna do what anemones are gonna do.

I don't direct feed mine at all, and they seem plenty happy, plenty puffy and nicely colored. Just like with coral, I think sometimes people have unrealistic expectations and do too much too quick and it just makes things worse instead of better.

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back