Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really smart to go with 1" pipes Broadfield. I used 3/4" and it's restricting my flow significantly. I have my L1 on full speed to get the flow I need (to both tanks) and had to change my locline design to do so. I really wish I had gone with 1".

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really smart to go with 1" pipes Broadfield. I used 3/4" and it's restricting my flow significantly. I have my L1 on full speed to get the flow I need (to both tanks) and had to change my locline design to do so. I really wish I had gone with 1".

Well that's good to know for others! I guess I never really thought about it much... I simply did 1" because that's what the L1 outlet is.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my new fixture up for about 2 weeks now and am absolutely loving it. I'm sold on T5/MH combo now! Never owning halides before and not having any friends that run halides, I really didn't know what a 2ok spectrum truly looked like. My only point of reference was owning Aqua Illumination LED fixtures in the past and using their preset spectrum setting. Well, the AI "20K" definitely is not comparable to a 20k halide... the AI 20k seems a lot more blue. So I initially ordered 14k bulbs, thinking that with the addition of the actinic T5 bulbs, I would get a spectrum that I like.... I don't like overly blue tanks. If my orange fish don't look orange, then I have an issue with that lol. First off, the Ushio bulbs did not fit. I did some research and found another reefer that had always used Ushio bulbs in the past, but his new Ushio bulbs were a different thread pitch. So I was pretty bummed that I couldn't even fire it up. To play it safe, I ordered 14.5K Giesemann bulbs... figuring Giesemann bulbs would fit a Giesemann fixture. It was a tough swallow at $100 each, but who am I to worry about how much I spend on a reef tank... I mean, let's be honest here lol. Got the bulbs in and they thread right in. However, it was not blue enough for me. So back to BRS I go to order the Giesemann 17.5k bulbs. This spectrum is a nice option for those that don't want it too blue, but need something more than the 14.5k. Got those in and they were a lot better..... buuuuuuut, still not what I was after. So I ordered the Giesemann 21k bulbs and called it a day. They're actually not that much more blue than the 17.5k... they are absolutely perfect for me! So lesson learned, I'm a #2okGuyForLife. I'm starting to take pics for the upcoming magazine feature and upcoming Marine Depot video feature, so I should be posting a lot soon. Here's a quick one I took with the 17.5k bulbs:

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank look better now with Halides... you will see coral growth and color improving, just wait....

Dude, I swear I already notice a slight difference in both growth and coloration after only 2 weeks.

Reefcowboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I swear I already notice a slight difference in both growth and coloration after only 2 weeks.
I believe you. You should check closely now also in the beginning alk/ca consumption. It should be going up...
Please keep us posted

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield you have once again out did your self !! Amazing tank the light is a perfect fit for that Reefer. Every time I look at your photos of your tank I am blown away., and out of breath wit how stunning your tank looks , massive round of applause to you Broadfield.. AMAZING JOB [emoji6] [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji119][emoji119][emoji847] it was s pleaser talking to you the other day as well thank you for your input .

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my new fixture up for about 2 weeks now and am absolutely loving it. I'm sold on T5/MH combo now! Never owning halides before and not having any friends that run halides, I really didn't know what a 2ok spectrum truly looked like. My only point of reference was owning Aqua Illumination LED fixtures in the past and using their preset spectrum setting. Well, the AI "20K" definitely is not comparable to a 20k halide... the AI 20k seems a lot more blue. So I initially ordered 14k bulbs, thinking that with the addition of the actinic T5 bulbs, I would get a spectrum that I like.... I don't like overly blue tanks. If my orange fish don't look orange, then I have an issue with that lol. First off, the Ushio bulbs did not fit. I did some research and found another reefer that had always used Ushio bulbs in the past, but his new Ushio bulbs were a different thread pitch. So I was pretty bummed that I couldn't even fire it up. To play it safe, I ordered 14.5K Giesemann bulbs... figuring Giesemann bulbs would fit a Giesemann fixture. It was a tough swallow at $100 each, but who am I to worry about how much I spend on a reef tank... I mean, let's be honest here lol. Got the bulbs in and they thread right in. However, it was not blue enough for me. So back to BRS I go to order the Giesemann 17.5k bulbs. This spectrum is a nice option for those that don't want it too blue, but need something more than the 14.5k. Got those in and they were a lot better..... buuuuuuut, still not what I was after. So I ordered the Giesemann 21k bulbs and called it a day. They're actually not that much more blue than the 17.5k... they are absolutely perfect for me! So lesson learned, I'm a #2okGuyForLife. I'm starting to take pics for the upcoming magazine feature and upcoming Marine Depot video feature, so I should be posting a lot soon. Here's a quick one I took with the 17.5k bulbs:

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Wow...I missed the post about you actually changing the fixture. That looks great!

hellsangelbx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield love this tank. Can you share step by step on how you removed the black film on the back of the tank. I was planning on buying the new Red Sea reefer peninsula but the place that I needed it in has to be no more than 59" Length exact to fit flushed in my living room. The peninsula is 63" in length. So I'm thinking about doing 625 XXL which is 59" in length and using your idea to give it that peninsula feelwould be perfect. The tank will go next to my steps so when people come up the steps they get to see through the tank instead of the black on the back of the tank

Nutramar Foods

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you. You should check closely now also in the beginning alk/ca consumption. It should be going up...
Please keep us posted
+1

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby, Thanks for those awesome shots tonight!

That last shot looks like a small mouth bass (hybird) :)

I'm just curious, You've gone from your led/t5 to your mh/t5.
Do you like the colors of your fish better too, under the mh/t5?

Thanks, GoVols

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby, Thanks for those awesome shots tonight!

That last shot looks like a small mouth bass (hybird) :)

I'm just curious, You've gone from your led/t5 to your mh/t5.
Do you like the colors of your fish better too, under the mh/t5?

Thanks, GoVols

Why you're welcome! Hopefully I have some more good ones coming out tonight. I have taken about 1200 images in the last three nights... and only got about 8 good ones so far. It's a sign that I'm not a photographer lol. I'm going to keep at though.

The fish actually looked really good under the T5/LED. However, I ran all Giesemann Aquablue Coral bulbs and supplemented with the blue LEDs... that helped. So the fish had a nice natural look to them. With that being said, the T5/MH is simply spot on... couldn't be happier with the fish colors. I have a beautiful, large male squareback anthias that I have been trying to get a shot off, but he's not having it hahaha.

AquaCave Logo Banner

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why you're welcome! Hopefully I have some more good ones coming out tonight. I have taken about 1200 images in the last three nights... and only got about 8 good ones so far. It's a sign that I'm not a photographer lol. I'm going to keep at though.

The fish actually looked really good under the T5/LED. However, I ran all Giesemann Aquablue Coral bulbs and supplemented with the blue LEDs... that helped. So the fish had a nice natural look to them. With that being said, the T5/MH is simply spot on... couldn't be happier with the fish colors. I have a beautiful, large male squareback anthias that I have been trying to get a shot off, but he's not having it hahaha.
Do you change you reef lighting spectrum when shooting your photography?
Or are we seeing what you see on a daily basis without changing the color for photography purposes?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you change you reef lighting spectrum when shooting your photography?
Or are we seeing what you see on a daily basis without changing the color for photography purposes?

You are seeing exactly what I see when the halides are on.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are seeing exactly what I see when the halides are on.
Toby,
That's awesome!

If you ever take down that Spectra... Then I will personally drive up there and try to kick some sense into you :)
Do all the mods you want but don't change that fixture :D

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby,
That's awesome!

If you ever take down that Spectra... Then I will personally drive up there and try to kick some sense into you :)
Do all the mods you want but don't change fixture :D

Bwahahaha.... quote of the week!

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back