Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, Im finally getting back into reefing. I have had various tanks from nano cubes up to a 75g mixed reef. All of which were not as successful as i hoped for. Hoping to change that this time around.

This tank has been set up for about a month. Im just getting through the ugly green stage after and short and minor diatom bloom. I have already upgraded the light and pump and added a lid and ATO.

Everything seems to be doing good so far except the SPS. I think its because my flow is not enough and i just recently switch to reef crystals from Aquaforest sea salt. I have 2-outlet random flow nozzle coming so i hope that helps with flow.

Schedule:
1G weekly WGs using Reef Crystals
Daily feed: pellets
Change socks every 3 days

My current set up:
Eshopps Deskmate 4.8G total volume
Kraken Reef lid
AI sol light
Sicci Micraplus return
Prism ATO
25W Eheim heater
3D printed cord locks
10lbs live dry nano rock
5lbs carribsea fiji sand

Livestock:
Crew:
3x Blue hermits
1x emarld crab

Fish:
6-line wrasse

Coral:
Neon Kenya tree
Green/purple torch
Montipora (not sure which exactly)
Not sure on zoas (chime in if you know)

Lighting:
I knew i wanted to eventually keep a few SPS so upgrading the light was a no-brainer. I first tried the Fluval marine LED. I have to say, for $50 it was a great light.I had it for about 2 weeks before deciding that it wasn't enough blue for me. The corals did coral very nicely as you can see from some of the images. I then decided to upgrade again to the AI sol. I know ill eventually go bigger so having 1 sol already is nice.

Here is where i could you use your help. Let me know what you think of my current settings based on tank age and knowing this will be a mostly LPS and softy reef.
My current settings are very simple but ill adjust over time.
8am:
1-hour ramp up to
royal 60%
blue 60%
white 35%

630pm:
1-hour ramp down to
royal 0%
blue 3%
white 0%

9pm: all 0%

Image below: 10.10.22

IMG_6808.jpeg IMG_6746.jpeg IMG_6773.jpeg IMG_6798.jpeg IMG_6799.jpeg IMG_6800.jpeg IMG_6801.jpeg IMG_6802.jpeg IMG_6803.jpeg IMG_6804.jpeg IMG_6805.jpeg IMG_6806.jpeg IMG_6807.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the random flow nozzle from Vivid Aquatics. Trying to get the flow just right. It seems like having 2 decreased the flow by quite a bit so trying this set up.

Attachments

• IMG_6814.jpeg
    IMG_6814.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 116
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the sixline doing in there? Was thinking about adding a pink steaked wrasse in my Deskmate but thought it might be too small
Seems happy, Theres plenty of spaces to hide for him. I might swap him out for a royal gramma though to get some bright colors.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

CrabKeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, Im finally getting back into reefing. I have had various tanks from nano cubes up to a 75g mixed reef. All of which were not as successful as i hoped for. Hoping to change that this time around.

This tank has been set up for about a month. Im just getting through the ugly green stage after and short and minor diatom bloom. I have already upgraded the light and pump and added a lid and ATO.

Everything seems to be doing good so far except the SPS. I think its because my flow is not enough and i just recently switch to reef crystals from Aquaforest sea salt. I have 2-outlet random flow nozzle coming so i hope that helps with flow.

Schedule:
1G weekly WGs using Reef Crystals
Daily feed: pellets
Change socks every 3 days

My current set up:
Eshopps Deskmate 4.8G total volume
Kraken Reef lid
AI sol light
Sicci Micraplus return
Prism ATO
25W Eheim heater
3D printed cord locks
10lbs live dry nano rock
5lbs carribsea fiji sand

Livestock:
Crew:
3x Blue hermits
1x emarld crab

Fish:
6-line wrasse

Coral:
Neon Kenya tree
Green/purple torch
Montipora (not sure which exactly)
Not sure on zoas (chime in if you know)
Nice nano set up. I look forward to watching it progress. Especially the torch. I've been wanting to add one.

OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates: 10/31

Added some new equipment.
Pump
I upgraded the pump once again to a IM mighty pump. i had to modify the intake for it to fit in the chamber.....but im finally satisfied with the flow and noise. Virtually silent.....and flow on setting 3 combined with 2x RFG is working great.
Lights:
I returned the AI sol and went with an Ai Prime. At this time im using the BRS AB+ preset on 50% ramping to 75%.

Fan
I was having an issue with temp rising above 79 so i added a little fan behind the plant. The leaves deflect the air as a stream across the top of the tank. Now it holds well around 78

Dosing

Started dosing <1ml of All for Reef

Corals
Added green monti
Super red mushroom
GSP

IMG_6865.jpeg

AS
OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wtdenk Which heater are you using and do you have biospheres in the back chamber. Im not sure Ill be able to fit even the glass skimmer. Maybe if i take the spheres out of the bag and let fall lower in the chamber

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 11/08

After adding the mighty pump, the water level was getting a bit high in the display. Thanks to a fellow [HASH=69258]#Deskmate[/HASH] owner, I replaced the original overflow with a 3D printed concept to allow more flow/turnover.

IMG_6884.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

LaurenceC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates: 10/31

Added some new equipment.
Pump
I upgraded the pump once again to a IM mighty pump. i had to modify the intake for it to fit in the chamber.....but im finally satisfied with the flow and noise. Virtually silent.....and flow on setting 3 combined with 2x RFG is working great.
Lights:
I returned the AI sol and went with an Ai Prime. At this time im using the BRS AB+ preset on 50% ramping to 75%.

Fan
I was having an issue with temp rising above 79 so i added a little fan behind the plant. The leaves deflect the air as a stream across the top of the tank. Now it holds well around 78

Dosing

Started dosing <1ml of All for Reef

Corals
Added green monti
Super red mushroom
GSP

View attachment 2883153
What is it you had to do in order to modify the intake? Thanks

OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LaurenceC
I drained about 2 gallons and used painters tap to create a backboard around the display side of the overflow. Then used a dremel to cut the overflow slots. Most of the debris fell into the filter sock. Took about 5 mins

Corals.com
OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Upgraded the AI with a diffuser and dialed back the intensity to 25% with BRS settings. Even with the diffuser, i think I was way overfill with the previous settings.

Just installed the Reef Glass skimmer. I will be dialing it in over the next few days. I couldn't pass on the reviews and im hoping this will allow me to feed the corals a bit more without sacrificing phosphate levels

Mounted a couple corals on the rock. Im debating having the rock on the left be entirly GSP and using a acrylic rod to keep the right rock up. That way when the GSP overgrows, I can keep it from growing on the right rock.

Started dosing Microbacter 7 and added carbon to the sump.

Overall all parameters are in check and consistant.

Some issues:
Every day at the same time the GSP, starburst and kenya close for about 2-3 hours before opening again. I assume its from a swing of sorts but i checked PH and it seems to be consistant. Any thoughts?

Im also getting a hair algae of sorts. It's fairly opaque in color and seems to only grow on the rock. Video below

Lastly, my birdnest has bleached. I assume its mainly from intensity of the lights but could also be from pico parameters shifts. It will be a ongoing going to keep a few healthy SPS in this tank.

IMG_6957.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_6958.HEIC.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back