Brand new 75 Gallon tell me if i am out of my mind!!!!!

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let's just start with what i would like to get out of this tank.... I would like to get a few nice fish once the tank has been established for a time (ill need help here ) I would like to get into some corals mostly easy ones maybe and anemone or two just not sure of the progression or requirements just yet but I am doing YouTube research so I'm sure I'll be an expert in about a week :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. They all make it look so easy ...... Back to reality here are my thoughts on this build..
The tank and filter I am pretty much stuck with because I couldn't beat the deal 75 Gallon tank and FX6 for $60.00 :astonished-face:
as far as the rest of it goes I am open and somewhat flexible
So for lighting I am trying to choose between these budget options These are in what I would consider for my budget for lighting right now unless I can find some better lights used at a similar price point.
2X Noopysche K7 Pro 3
2X Nicrew 150W
2X Smatfarm 140W
2X Reefbrite Lumi Lite 160W
Wavemakers I may be way the hell off but help me get to the right track
2X Hygger 2100 GPH
2X Hygger 25W Cross flow Pump
2X Jebao SCP120's or 150's (Again not sure of what I will need

Longer term goals include a
Protein Skimmer
Auto top off
maybe some dosing pumps
Maybe a sump but that is unlikely due to having to drill the tank
Knowing all of this am I out of my mind or am I getting close to the right track .

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I’m not sure what filter you are talking about but you’ve found the best source of information on reef keeping. You’re in the right place

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would ditch the fx6 if your goal is a sump. I would drill it and use a 20 gallon long or similar tank for a sump. Petco has 50% off their aqueon tanks right now. Would allow you so much room for expansion with filtration in the future. You will be glad you did from the get go. Drilling is easy as long as you are sure the tank isn’t tempered glass.

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would ditch the fx6 if your goal is a sump. I would drill it and use a 20 gallon long or similar tank for a sump. Petco has 50% off their aqueon tanks right now. Would allow you so much room for expansion with filtration in the future. You will be glad you did from the get go. Drilling is easy as long as you are sure the tank isn’t tempered glass.
Getting it used from a friend of mine who picked it up from a friend of his and so on I'm not even sure of the brand of tank at this point much less if it is tempered. Is there a way to find out if its tempered ?? and is drilling it something i can do or do I need to take it somewhere to have it done ??

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting it used from a friend of mine who picked it up from a friend of his and so on I'm not even sure of the brand of tank at this point much less if it is tempered. Is there a way to find out if its tempered ?? and is drilling it something i can do or do I need to take it somewhere to have it done ??
There is a trick with polarized sunglasses and your phone. I can’t quite remember the procedure of telling but if I recall you hold your phone with the screen on inside the tank. Look through the sunglasses at your screen and then tilt them. If the screen on your phone shows lines or distorts then it is tempered. Don’t quote me on that. Check some things out. I drilled several aqueon 55 gallon tanks. Super easy. There’s tons of videos on how to do it.

Extremeengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't provide much on most of your items:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: However, I do have a 75g that I started recently with an FX6. There are several threads on here about people using that filter or other canisters. I started with the middle tray having the Fluval bio-media, only because I just wanted to have as much bacteria growing surface area as possible until my live rock was more established. My plan at the first filter change is to use the Amazon white filter replacement packs that are like $18, and run Chemi-pure elite and Seachem matrix carbon. I may remove the bio-media and then just have the carbon in one tray and the Chemi-pure in the other, or may introduce a phosphate remover if needed. I'm planning on filter clean every 4-6 weeks. I know some people just run rubble in them, but I am OK with maintenance and like the water polishing.

I will say that IMO a skimmer is necessary if running an FX6 on an overflow-less tank. Either HOB or in tank. I have the Tunze 9004, and so far I like it, although it has its negatives, and I am still waiting to get it settled in before I decide if I am sticking with it.

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a trick with polarized sunglasses and your phone. I can’t quite remember the procedure of telling but if I recall you hold your phone with the screen on inside the tank. Look through the sunglasses at your screen and then tilt them. If the screen on your phone shows lines or distorts then it is tempered. Don’t quote me on that. Check some things out. I drilled several aqueon 55 gallon tanks. Super easy. There’s tons of videos on how to do it.
I think I found what you were talking about
Tempered glass or not

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That FX6 will be more than adequate to filter that tank. I'm going to be running an FX2 on a 20 experimental then moving that to a 40 cube. Effluent will be routed to an AquaClear 110 filled with Pom Pom Macroalgae as a HOB refugium solution to resolve nitrates and phosphates along with removal of co2. Simple setup that excludes the need for sump or skimmer. Not conventional today but how many got started in salt although not exactly this route but canisters were a thing and don't get flustered with how canisters are supposedly a pain. Just close the influent then the effluent then turn the pump off for servicing. This will relieve pressure and then you can remove water with the built in spigot.

If you want to reduce maintenance further. Add a prefilter such as a reactor filled with floss and change that more frequently. Do the same on the effluent for media such as GAC. Relegate the canister to trapping and processing detritus. The macroalgae will resolve the inorganic from decomposition.

If that's too complicated. Add another HOB for floss and GAC and service that although it will likely clog weekly. Canister can go months without missing a beat.

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with tempered glass is to get polarized sunglasses and an old lcd (not oled like on new phones) screen. Either an old cellphone or a laptop.

You put the screen in the tank and look at it through the glasses. Hold the glasses off your face and look through them like a spyglass, don’t wear them.

Then turn the glasses back and forth while looking at the screen.

If the glass is not tempered, it will darken, almost totally. The screen will almost look like it turned off.

If the glass is tempered, it won’t go completely dark, but will rather appear to be irregularly striped. Almost like a zebra pattern. It will be streaky but not completely dark.

If I’m not mistaken this method isn’t 100% guaranteed, but it’s usually what people use. I’ve seen the difference, but I can’t swear to it being foolproof.

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a sump (which I recommend) and can't / do not want to drill hob overflows work very well regardless of what many people who have never ran them say. I ran two for 8 years on the 180g in my showcase.
Can you please give me some part options so that I can look at them they sound like the answer I am looking for I would much prefer to go sump but the reason I was going to use the canister is because it's what I have and it was cheap. However I can always use another canister on my 125 lol ...

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please give me some part options so that I can look at them they sound like the answer I am looking for I would much prefer to go sump but the reason I was going to use the canister is because it's what I have and it was cheap. However I can always use another canister on my 125 lol ...

There are a lot of choices. I ran two eshops PF800 overflows on my 180g. I'd be happy to clean one up and send it to you for the cost of shipping if your interested. I was just gonna add them to my growing pile of used gear.
PXL_20240619_195602338.jpg

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely love that if you are OK with it I was dreading drilling that tank and I know I can build a sump fairly easy
There are a lot of choices. I ran two eshops PF800 overflows on my 180g. I'd be happy to clean one up and send it to you for the cost of shipping if your interested. I was just gonna add them to my growing pile of used gear.
PXL_20240619_195602338.jpg

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely love that if you are OK with it I was dreading drilling that tank and I know I can build a sump fairly easy

At this stage I'm never going to use them I would much rather give them away vs have them go to waste. Send me a pm with your address and I'll get a shipping quote for you.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the fx6 on a planted tank. It is a true workhorse. That said, a sump is worth it's weight in gold for a reef. I second the hob overflow idea. I also have ran them for years without issue. I think the trick to success with them is choose a slower flow unit and run it at full speed rather then a faster one ran at 50 %. One siphon tube at full speed won't fill with air. With multiple siphon tube's at slow speed you can get air bubbles building up.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back