Blue Green Chromis-- What's wrong?

ReefAqua2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 blue green chromis in the tank. Today found one of them swimming in a top corner of the tank (not where they usually are), looking vey stressed. The other two chromis and the rest of the fish are behaving normally. Something similar happened a year ago with an Anthias that was being bullied by other fish (and ended up dying), but the skin on this one looks odd and potentially more than just stress. Am attaching a photo and video. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
IMG_5268.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have 3 blue green chromis in the tank. Today found one of them swimming in a top corner of the tank (not where they usually are), looking vey stressed. The other two chromis and the rest of the fish are behaving normally. Something similar happened a year ago with an Anthias that was being bullied by other fish (and ended up dying), but the skin on this one looks odd and potentially more than just stress. Am attaching a photo and video. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
IMG_5268.jpeg

Looking at the skin and raised scales, this fish has either been battered in a fight or this is the start of uronema which they are susceptible to. If Uronema, you will want to treat before it gets worse. Ruby Rally pro will work as sgould General cure treatment but both will take a couple of days to start taking effect. I recommend a separate treatment tank to reduce risk of spreading

OP
OP
R

ReefAqua2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you both. Excuse the ignorant question, but can that (Usonema) happen even though i haven't put anything new into the tank in a month? (that was some shrimp and coral. fish haven't been added in more than a year)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you both. Excuse the ignorant question, but can that (Usonema) happen even though i haven't put anything new into the tank in a month? (that was some shrimp and coral. fish haven't been added in more than a year)
Sorry my typo - it's uronema. Yes it can. Water conditions are important, etc - Uronema can live in any tank - and opportunistically attack another fish. However, - as others have said this could also be injury related

OP
OP
R

ReefAqua2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. I moved him into my QT tank yesterday and started treating. by this morning the fish is swimming around the QT tank and now that i can get a closer look i think it probably is an injury. Debating leaving it there for another few days so it can fully recover. but also thinking it might be more stressful for the fish to be all alone in a tank with nothing but water in it. thoughts?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back