Biota Yellow Tang constipated/not eating in QT for over 2 weeks now

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, almost 2 weeks ago now, I noticed my biota yellow tang had a really bloated stomach that wouldn't subside. Noticed he also stopped eating. Struggling to swim, was making movements kind of like flappy bird. I looked into the situation and found that I might of been feeding too much of the wrong foods (krill, fish eggs, other fatty rich foods). He always had Nori sheets in the tank but i guess the rich foods was what blocked him up. So I set him in a QT tank 10 days ago and started dosing Kanaplex as recommended to hopefully help him push out the blockage. I have finished the recommended treatment and he still does not look any better, swimming sideways & upside down. He's still fighting strong but I'm in fear of how little time he may have left. I've read feeding green peas but he wont eat. I have now started a second round of kanaplex treatment. Instructions state to dose every other day. So with the day in between, I dose with 1tb per 5gal of Epsom salt. Im really worried now he just floats at the top with half his belly sticking out. Is there anything else i can try to do to help him? He hasnt been able to eat and looks like hes starting to give up the fight. Would dropping some drops of vitachem or selcon in the water do anything to keep him in the fight? I dont want to lose him :( such a sweet non aggressive tang as well.

IMG_5984.jpeg IMG_5758.jpg IMG_5760.jpg IMG_5763.jpg IMG_5765.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi guys, almost 2 weeks ago now, I noticed my biota yellow tang had a really bloated stomach that wouldn't subside. Noticed he also stopped eating. Struggling to swim, was making movements kind of like flappy bird. I looked into the situation and found that I might of been feeding too much of the wrong foods (krill, fish eggs, other fatty rich foods). He always had Nori sheets in the tank but i guess the rich foods was what blocked him up. So I set him in a QT tank 10 days ago and started dosing Kanaplex as recommended to hopefully help him push out the blockage. I have finished the recommended treatment and he still does not look any better, swimming sideways & upside down. He's still fighting strong but I'm in fear of how little time he may have left. I've read feeding green peas but he wont eat. I have now started a second round of kanaplex treatment. Instructions state to dose every other day. So with the day in between, I dose with 1tb per 5gal of Epsom salt. Im really worried now he just floats at the top with half his belly sticking out. Is there anything else i can try to do to help him? He hasnt been able to eat and looks like hes starting to give up the fight. Would dropping some drops of vitachem or selcon in the water do anything to keep him in the fight? I dont want to lose him :( such a sweet non aggressive tang as well.

IMG_5984.jpeg IMG_5758.jpg IMG_5760.jpg IMG_5763.jpg IMG_5765.jpg
While this may be a buoyancy issue, this has been a trend with biota tangs and cant say its a condition but a sign of bloating. Often feeding brine shrimp only or holding off with food for 24-36 hours will show diminished weight and more swim stability.
Is fish breathing normal?

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While this may be a buoyancy issue, this has been a trend with biota tangs and cant say its a condition but a sign of bloating. Often feeding brine shrimp only or holding off with food for 24-36 hours will show diminished weight and more swim stability.
Is fish breathing normal?
Some moments his breathing looks normal, some moments his breathing looks to be more exhausted

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Some moments his breathing looks normal, some moments his breathing looks to be more exhausted
Dont think its quite moribund but rather struggling with bouyancy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Here is a video of the tang to help diagnose the problem
Thank you for video. When a fish ends up in the intake like this, it may actually be moribund as it offers no resistance or attempt to swim away.
If moribund, There is no medication I can suggest. Add an air stone and see if any improvement

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for video. When a fish ends up in the intake like this, it may actually be moribund as it offers no resistance or attempt to swim away.
If moribund, There is no medication I can suggest. Add an air stone and see if any improvement
Sorry what is moribund? I looked it up to no avail. Is that a disease?

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 here is a great video of what he does all day long for the past week. Tries to swim then rests under the filter. Past 3 days he stopped resting under the filter and now just floats on the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_5985 (1).mp4
    2.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sorry what is moribund? I looked it up to no avail. Is that a disease?
Moribund is a condition and not disease and is similar to comatose in which the fish may or may not eat or swim normal moving forward

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I just throw him back into the DT to enjoy his final days with his tank mates? Or should I continue Kanaplex & Epsom salt?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 here is a great video of what he does all day long for the past week. Tries to swim then rests under the filter. Past 3 days he stopped resting under the filter and now just floats on the surface.

I agree, your tang is moribund, actively dying. Once a fish reaches that state, there really isn't anything that can be done, sorry.

This case is similar to a lot of constipation/impaction issues we've seen with tank raised yellow tangs. I suspect it is caused by the fish gorging themselves on foods different than they were accustomed to. In early stage, fasting the tang often clears the problem up.

Your tang is definitely positively buoyant, but I don't think it is a swim bladder issue. More likely, the impacted food fermented in the guy and produced gas, making the fish float.

Jay

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP sorry about your little guy. I can't help but think that people would be better feeding these babies the same food @Biota_Marine feeds them then slowly transition them to other foods. I bought 3 in March and have not had any bloating issues. I purchased a bottle of the dk1 pellets when I bought the fish. I fed those along with nori and then started adding bits of frozen PE mysis and rods original to their diet. Now they eat everything all the other fish eat which is mostly frozen but also dk1 pellets, formula 1 and 2 pellets, sustainable aquatics hatchery diet along with nori a few times a week. They are in a large tank and peck at the rocks and glass all day. Maybe biota may want to consider including a sample of the pellets they feed to get the little guys going in the aquarium? These are my 3 today.
PXL_20240809_143422069.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GUYS!!! DID EMERGENCY OPERATION ON THE YELLOW TANG AND HES MUCH BETTER NOW!!! CHECK OUT THE VIDEO!!!!

Good luck! Secondary bacterial infection (peritonitis) is pretty common after gas removal. I couldn’t see in the video, was the gas removed from the belly or up by the lateral line?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back