Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about dealing with an aiptasia outbreak in a small nano? I'm considering covering it with putty, h2o2, f aiptasia, lemon juice etc. Started with one and now there's prolly 5-10 in there. Quick would be best and sps safe too as im supposed to be growing sps frags in this tank (3 frags coming tues) ty

CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nano and would just keep it simple and use something like Red Sea Aiptasia X

Infact you can use it in any size tank, I use it in both my systems when needed, but I also use the Berghia if there become to many to handle. But these need a constant supply of food or they will die.

Top Shelf Aquatics

J.D.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system was absolutely infested with aptasia. I tried absolutely everything under the sun. The only thing that gave me any relief was Berghaus, I'm about 90% better than where I started.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_105855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_105855_Gallery.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system was absolutely infested with aptasia. I tried absolutely everything under the sun. The only thing that gave me any relief was Berghaus, I'm about 90% better than where I started.
How many for a 10g tank? I would have to fetch them out after aiptasia was gone and give them to lfs or something because I don't want them dying in there. Also, don't they tanke months to get the job done?

Nutramar Foods

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have them they never really go away. You can put things in that will control them but once they're removed or die they come right back. Berghia can easily end up as food in any tank. I've never tried them for that reason. Would be an expensive snack. Peppermints are hit and miss. Some people get lucky but most don't. They usually end up being eaten as well but they are cheap. About once a month I just go into both of my systems and treat the ones I see with aiptasia x. Sometimes it kills them sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to try boiling water in a syringe. Some people say that's only way to kill them without spreading eggs around.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a 10 gallon tank, I would just do a rip clean, its the only one way to be 100% sure you get them all, without any side affects.
except for ripping and cleaning your tank...

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the idea of keeping a couple small nudibranches, think this is a great option if the nems are gonna keep growing as is. Thanks for talking me through it everyone.

Also thanks for the link up above. I'll check it out but was gonna order them from corals anonymous as I've done a bit of business with them.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the idea of keeping a couple small nudibranches, think this is a great option if the nems are gonna keep growing as is. Thanks for talking me through it everyone.

Also thanks for the link up above. I'll check it out but was gonna order them from corals anonymous as I've done a bit of business with them.
By all means order from who you are comfortable doing business with. I just really like the detailed information about how many you need, how they work, and how to acclimate them. Good luck!

Nutramar Foods

Jmp998

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recommend and sell Berghia, but this idea of keeping a small population of Berghia in your display long term will not likely work. It is almost impossible to keep co-habiting populations of Berghia and Aiptasia in a single closed system. If the Berghia settle in and do well, they will make hundreds of new Berghia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How should I go about dealing with an aiptasia outbreak in a small nano? I'm considering covering it with putty, h2o2, f aiptasia, lemon juice etc. Started with one and now there's prolly 5-10 in there. Quick would be best and sps safe too as im supposed to be growing sps frags in this tank (3 frags coming tues) ty
Keep it simple:

Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend and sell Berghia, but this idea of keeping a small population of Berghia in your display long term will not likely work. It is almost impossible to keep co-habiting populations of Berghia and Aiptasia in a single closed system. If the Berghia settle in and do well, they will make hundreds of new Berghia.
I see, if I just got 1 would that guy alone be able to keep a 10g system looking clean?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back