Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of aiptasia anemones in the beginning . I bought two peppermint shrimp. They aren’t Lysmata Wurdemanni. They’re Lysmata Bogessi. The day after I got the shrimp I came down to find the aiptasia gone. They never came back.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Reeftown, with great results. Tidal Gardens is now selling them, they have never disappointed with my coral I ordered. It is recommended to get a minimum of 3 medium size. They will reproduce but unfortunately when the aptasia is gone they die.

Corals.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about dealing with an aiptasia outbreak in a small nano? I'm considering covering it with putty, h2o2, f aiptasia, lemon juice etc. Started with one and now there's prolly 5-10 in there. Quick would be best and sps safe too as im supposed to be growing sps frags in this tank (3 frags coming tues) ty
Aiptasia-x all that you can reach.
Repeat daily until gone.

bsagea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if a Berghaus nudibranch will starve after eating the aiptasia? I'd be interested in trying one but not if he would go hungry
Berghias will definitely die after 5 - 7 days without aiptasia. It is their only food source.
bsa

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a large hermit crab eat medium nudibranches? I can easily move him if he's a risk. He's been a dang workhorse in that tank tho.

I also had emailed the guy from reeftown and he said I would need 3 of them. So guess I'm gonna give it a go

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don’t have to worry about the hermit crab. Wrasse and anything that eats aptasia ( peppermint shrimp, file fish etc.) will eat berghia. Remember they are nocturnal and you won’t see them until they are out of food and are out and about looking for food during the day.
393301E3-B321-4F12-8EBF-A96116178647.jpeg

William Bruckmann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend and sell Berghia, but this idea of keeping a small population of Berghia in your display long term will not likely work. It is almost impossible to keep co-habiting populations of Berghia and Aiptasia in a single closed system. If the Berghia settle in and do well, they will make hundreds of new Berghia.
This....I also raise Berghia and their life cycle is 10 times faster than the Aiptasia's. My hardest task is getting enough for them to eat. They do not have an eating "off switch". So rather than eat the one Aiptasia per week they require, they will pick a rock clean in a day or two then die from a lack of food.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heh, so I made a decision and hope it works out. While I was looking around I came across the following shrimp. So I will be passing on nudis for now and giving these guys a try. Will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230425_132800_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230425_132800_Brave.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 26

Jmp998

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heh, so I made a decision and hope it works out. While I was looking around I came across the following shrimp. So I will be passing on nudis for now and giving these guys a try. Will be here tomorrow.
Please let us know your results. I have no experience with these shrimp but think of Dr. Mac as a reputable and trustworthy vendor.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't end well for my shrimps. Found them both dead today. All other inverts seem fine, I may run a copper test just to see if there was any cross contamination with my qt tank. But my large hermit had one in its grasp, he was eating it like an apple and wouldn't let go of him. Would the hermit have killed the shrimp?

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't end well for my shrimps. Found them both dead today. All other inverts seem fine, I may run a copper test just to see if there was any cross contamination with my qt tank. But my large hermit had one in its grasp, he was eating it like an apple and wouldn't let go of him. Would the hermit have killed the shrimp?
No, I think it was doing what cuc do, scavenge and dispose of the carcass.

1112-425XL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dealt with this issue. My tank is almost two years old. Just noticed two small aiptasia on opposite sides of the tank. Have never had a sighting before this. Added a meat coral about 2 weeks ago after dipping, maybe that's how they got in. I tried a syringe with .4ml of vinegar. Was able to get right in the center and watch them shrink and shrivel. Repeated a second time and haven't seen a trace in a week. Hope that helps.

Top Shelf Aquatics

NicholasDRR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about dealing with an aiptasia outbreak in a small nano? I'm considering covering it with putty, h2o2, f aiptasia, lemon juice etc. Started with one and now there's prolly 5-10 in there. Quick would be best and sps safe too as im supposed to be growing sps frags in this tank (3 frags coming tues) ty
Get some Peppermints and feed light for a few days. When they get hungry the pests will be gone as that's what he'll eat. Berghia will starve if you don't have a lot so best to go the slow and steady route, also make sure your solution not only gets rid of what you have, but keeps them gone forever, if you get a Pepperment that eats them now, you will never see them again because he'll eat them as they come.

LJLKRL05

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a 10 gallon tank, I would just do a rip clean, its the only one way to be 100% sure you get them all, without any side affects.
I did this with my 210 gallon tank. I wanted them gone because they were taking it over and every time I hit the ones I could see with aptaisia X more would come back. Not to mention the ones I could not see.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back