Best Tank for Beginner Reefer

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fisher's Angelfish, Black Cap Basslet, Lightening Maroon Clownfish, Blue Sapphire Damselfish, Pink Smith Damselfish, Tracey's Damselfish, Purple Dottyback, Springeri Dottyback, Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish, Yasha Hase Goby and Pistol shrimp, Bristletooth Tomini Tang, Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse, and two Marble Lyretail Mollys as well as a cleanup crew and coral.

You are not new to aquarium, and obviously learning a lot and spend a lot of time researching, so I think you will be OK. I would recommend that you go for flexibility of equipment's and not fix on everything come with the system. Around 120 gal system is about as perfect as it gets for a new reefer. 48X24X24 nominally.
Sump system is a must; thus, you should avoid the AIO system. They are not very flexible and very restrictive. I am setting up a AIO system but really have very specific system in mind and it fit what I am trying to do.

Must have return pump, heater with controller, and adequate light for the coral you plant to keep.
Consider 2 or three damsel fish of the same species rather than a mixture of multiple.
Consider 1 species of docile Dottyback, and consider not add Maroon clownfish. These are aggressive and large clown fish that will be a terror for other fish. They have been known to drag small fish and feed them to their anemones.

Good luck and enjoy your build

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not new to aquarium, and obviously learning a lot and spend a lot of time researching, so I think you will be OK. I would recommend that you go for flexibility of equipment's and not fix on everything come with the system. Around 120 gal system is about as perfect as it gets for a new reefer. 48X24X24 nominally.
Sump system is a must; thus, you should avoid the AIO system. They are not very flexible and very restrictive. I am setting up a AIO system but really have very specific system in mind and it fit what I am trying to do.

Must have return pump, heater with controller, and adequate light for the coral you plant to keep.
Consider 2 or three damsel fish of the same species rather than a mixture of multiple.
Consider 1 species of docile Dottyback, and consider not add Maroon clownfish. These are aggressive and large clown fish that will be a terror for other fish. They have been known to drag small fish and feed them to their anemones.

Good luck and enjoy your build
Wow! I had no idea the Maroon clownfish were THAT aggressive! Those dimensions and gallonage sounds consistent with everything I am reading. I just struggle with the idea of having a tank that large in our house. I'm going to try and narrow down the Damsel fish I like to one species. Thank you so much for your advice and recommendations!

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on what tank you wanted?
No, I still haven't decided. We just got back from Aquashella Chicago and I was able to have some great conversations with George from Coralfish12g on Youtube and several other longtime hobbyist/business owners. I feel more conflicted than ever now. I'm not setting up anything until we move and that wont be until the end of this calendar year so I have some time to figure it out. I think I just need to see some setups in person to really get a feel of what I will like.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a 120 is too big, consider setting up a cube tank. 24X24X24 which is nominally 60 gal. Obviously with smaller tank like that you cannot keep some of the larger fishes but Dwarf angels would be fine. Harem of Flame or Flameback angels are beautiful.
Male Flame Angel
FlameAngel2019082511Maleresized.jpg

Nuptial Male
FlameAngel2019080501MaleNuptial.jpg

Female
FlameAngel2020032101Female.jpg

Male Flameback
Flameback2020102801Maleresized.jpg

Female Flame back
Flameback2020102806Female.jpg

Two of the harem (of 3 fish)
Flameback2020102807.jpg

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I still haven't decided. We just got back from Aquashella Chicago and I was able to have some great conversations with George from Coralfish12g on Youtube and several other longtime hobbyist/business owners. I feel more conflicted than ever now. I'm not setting up anything until we move and that wont be until the end of this calendar year so I have some time to figure it out. I think I just need to see some setups in person to really get a feel of what I will like.
Oh yes, certainly know your faces very well!! I've done a lot of buisness with Flip Aquatics over the years :face-blowing-a-kiss:. I've also just recently put one foot into the salty side, 2 1/2 years ago. Welcome to the dark side, lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back