Best Tank for Beginner Reefer

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I wanted a 30g. As I started my research this quickly changed, especially after looking at the fish. I knew I wanted a Yasha goby and pistol shrimp, but I didn't realize how beneficial some of the other fish would be in the reef tank. In freshwater most of the fish we utilize in the aquarium are pretty small so tank size is rarely an issue. We don't want too big of a setup in our house, but we do want to make sure the size and footprint fit the needs of the fish. I feel pretty confident in being able to maintain parameters. I need to learn more about dosing for corals though.

Good move! First decide which fish you want to keep, then build your system around those fish.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... Waterbox. Well.... just because.... lol. I have one. Zero issues and excellent customer service.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 that’s about 2 years old and really haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). I would like to add a ReefMat, but I then also need to get a new ATO. Just need to put aside another $500-600 for that. If I were starting new, I’d get this to start and wouldn’t wait to upgrade.

The display is 75gallon as you likely know. As someone above mentioned, go as big as space and budget allow. As you research fish you’ll see that the possibilities really open up at 125 gallons, but they are 2 feet longer.

Here’s a pic of mine.

1720878808612.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are really nice looking tanks! I will keep them in mind when making our decision. We are waiting until we move to setup our tank so we don't have to try to move it. Hopefully we will find our new home soon!
I seriously considered one of these, but a situation out of my control prevented me from moving forward. I finally decided upon a Glass Cages tank for my future build. They are pricey, but they are quality. They're made to order and Joe will help you out any way he can. I was impressed that he actually took the time to have a real conversation with me regarding my needs and my goals.

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 that’s about 2 years old and really haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). I would like to add a ReefMat, but I then also need to get a new ATO. Just need to put aside another $500-600 for that. If I were starting new, I’d get this to start and wouldn’t wait to upgrade.

The display is 75gallon as you likely know. As someone above mentioned, go as big as space and budget allow. As you research fish you’ll see that the possibilities really open up at 125 gallons, but they are 2 feet longer.

Here’s a pic of mine.

1720878808612.jpeg
Your tank looks great! Are you happy with the size? What fish do you keep in yours?

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously considered one of these, but a situation out of my control prevented me from moving forward. I finally decided upon a Glass Cages tank for my future build. They are pricey, but they are quality. They're made to order and Joe will help you out any way he can. I was impressed that he actually took the time to have a real conversation with me regarding my needs and my goals.
I need to look into the Glass Cages a bit more. I haven't looked in to them like I have the other brands yet.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to look into the Glass Cages a bit more. I haven't looked in to them like I have the other brands yet.
They're a top notch outfit. Joe is who you'd talk to for questions. There were so many options with the tank I had to actually talk with him to iron out my inadequate knowledge base. Really nice guy. And I'm not done asking, lol, I have another six or seven queries written down ready to go!

But the tank/stand/sump combination that @VintageReefer outlined is a GREAT DEAL. If I had room for another tank I'd jump all over it. The only reasons I don't are that 1.) I dont hsve room to store it and 2.) I want to go bigger with my primary DT

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A 48” tank that’s 75-80 gallons is a good platform to work with. As you go larger you will notice the costs become much higher for lighting and filtration and water flows

This is my 75
4DC39128-C192-4924-A045-AD2D6582996E.jpeg

E2733340-B2C9-4442-BCB6-1B507E017BFD.jpeg
FC8992F5-2E51-4E93-965F-CF9D086C86F3.jpeg
1CECAF55-A436-42A8-9CDE-7081DBC0C62C.jpeg
A2C700F4-FD03-488B-A2EA-3DAA4EF4E459.jpeg
0566D1E7-D5F0-4319-BE8F-3507417DB35F.jpeg

I have 7 fish

Here are 6 of them

8015F558-6646-466A-939F-F7E79DFDF9E5.jpeg

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! Are you happy with the size? What fish do you keep in yours?
Thank you! I’m happy with the size, given my space. If I had more horizontal room, I’d go with a 125 gallon display, solely for the increase in fish variety you have available to you at that size.

I currently have a Whitetail Bristletooth (Kole) Tang, a One Spot Foxface, a Solar Wrasse, 2 Banggai Cardinals, an Osc Clown and A Da Vinci Clown. I also have a Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone and a Tuxedo Urchin.

I’d like to add a few more fish, but I’ve had some aggression issues with the Tang and don’t want to lose any new additions. Beautiful fish, but mine is a jerk, would love to trade him.

2 years in, while I like the look of the Banggai, they are kind of boring. I like the clowns, wish they’d hang with my BTA. The BTA is fine now, assuming he doesn’t move again (he’s been in this location for a couple months now), first time he moved he killed 2 torches. Love the Solar Wrasse - I’d add Wrasses to your stocking list. Beautiful fish!

The urchin has been amazing at algae control on the rocks - he also recently ate a chalice coral since he’s done such a good job with everything else. I’m beginning to wonder if the aggression of the Tang has increased with less algae to pick off the rocks with the addition of the urchin as that’s when my Solar Wrasse started to seek shelter in my huge blob of GSP. I’ve increased my nori feeding to see if that helps.

Sorry for my little rant, my point is, one thing I’ve learned is that a reef tank is like Newton’s 3rd Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It doesn’t fit exactly, but it seems that for every action you take to counteract one thing, you need to be prepared for something else to happen as a result within the ecosystem. Trying not to be preachy, just giving food for thought as you come up against challenges in the first year or 2.

I will say, that I’m finally seeing things stabilize - it’s not that it’s on autopilot, but it’s getting easier. Not sure how much is the tank maturing or me learning - I’m sure it’s a combination of both. That said, I love it - especially at night with only the tank lit up and all of the colors of the fish and coral.

Best advice on the forum: Take it slow. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 48” tank that’s 75-80 gallons is a good platform to work with. As you go larger you will notice the costs become much higher for lighting and filtration and water flows

This is my 75
4DC39128-C192-4924-A045-AD2D6582996E.jpeg

E2733340-B2C9-4442-BCB6-1B507E017BFD.jpeg
FC8992F5-2E51-4E93-965F-CF9D086C86F3.jpeg
1CECAF55-A436-42A8-9CDE-7081DBC0C62C.jpeg
A2C700F4-FD03-488B-A2EA-3DAA4EF4E459.jpeg
0566D1E7-D5F0-4319-BE8F-3507417DB35F.jpeg

I have 7 fish

Here are 6 of them

8015F558-6646-466A-939F-F7E79DFDF9E5.jpeg
Your corals are beautiful! I love the Zoas!

OP
OP
Aleelupton

Aleelupton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m happy with the size, given my space. If I had more horizontal room, I’d go with a 125 gallon display, solely for the increase in fish variety you have available to you at that size.

I currently have a Whitetail Bristletooth (Kole) Tang, a One Spot Foxface, a Solar Wrasse, 2 Banggai Cardinals, an Osc Clown and A Da Vinci Clown. I also have a Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone and a Tuxedo Urchin.

I’d like to add a few more fish, but I’ve had some aggression issues with the Tang and don’t want to lose any new additions. Beautiful fish, but mine is a jerk, would love to trade him.

2 years in, while I like the look of the Banggai, they are kind of boring. I like the clowns, wish they’d hang with my BTA. The BTA is fine now, assuming he doesn’t move again (he’s been in this location for a couple months now), first time he moved he killed 2 torches. Love the Solar Wrasse - I’d add Wrasses to your stocking list. Beautiful fish!

The urchin has been amazing at algae control on the rocks - he also recently ate a chalice coral since he’s done such a good job with everything else. I’m beginning to wonder if the aggression of the Tang has increased with less algae to pick off the rocks with the addition of the urchin as that’s when my Solar Wrasse started to seek shelter in my huge blob of GSP. I’ve increased my nori feeding to see if that helps.

Sorry for my little rant, my point is, one thing I’ve learned is that a reef tank is like Newton’s 3rd Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It doesn’t fit exactly, but it seems that for every action you take to counteract one thing, you need to be prepared for something else to happen as a result within the ecosystem. Trying not to be preachy, just giving food for thought as you come up against challenges in the first year or 2.

I will say, that I’m finally seeing things stabilize - it’s not that it’s on autopilot, but it’s getting easier. Not sure how much is the tank maturing or me learning - I’m sure it’s a combination of both. That said, I love it - especially at night with only the tank lit up and all of the colors of the fish and coral.

Best advice on the forum: Take it slow. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Originally I wanted a Divided Leopard Wrasse, but they are listed as expert only. I have the ability to provide live foods so it still isn't out of the question, but I was trying to pick smaller species of the fish I like. I have a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse on the list of fish I would like to keep.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I wanted a Divided Leopard Wrasse, but they are listed as expert only. I have the ability to provide live foods so it still isn't out of the question, but I was trying to pick smaller species of the fish I like. I have a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse on the list of fish I would like to keep.
That Is an interesting fish! It's as if Nature threw together some random decorative features and said GO!

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of cool fairy wrasses that stay small.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, a 120 is the perfect 48 inch tank. 48 24 24. 4 inches taller than a 75, 6 inches deeper front to back then a 90. Opens up batter aquascaping and larger fish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back