Best heater controller. InkBird has let me down for the last time…

AI Hydra

espinobj

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second InkBird controller has failed. One of the probes went haywire.
What is an upgraded temp controller? I run two 600w heaters. I would like dual temp probes & some sort of app or website access if it exists. But a quality bulletproof reliable controller is much more important than a few smart features. Budget is $500 or less.

I do have an APEX but I do not want to use my APEX as the primary controller. I use it for an emergency 300w backup.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco has a reputation for reliability and being well built, I haven't tried it yet. I've only used inkbirds. I've had a couple of the wifi models act up on me, the original kind that BRS rebranded has worked well so far. I'll probably upgrade to a Ranco at some point in the near future, unless someone has a better suggestion.

World Wide Corals

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second InkBird controller has failed. One of the probes went haywire.
What is an upgraded temp controller? I run two 600w heaters. I would like dual temp probes & some sort of app or website access if it exists. But a quality bulletproof reliable controller is much more important than a few smart features. Budget is $500 or less.

I do have an APEX but I do not want to use my APEX as the primary controller. I use it for an emergency 300w backup.
Many commercial facilities use STC-1000 controllers, but you have to know how to DIY if you want to use one.

Having said that, I've used lots of inkbirds, and as long as you replace the temp probe annually I've not had a problem. The hardware and firmware is sound.

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many commercial facilities use STC-1000 controllers, but you have to know how to DIY if you want to use one.

Having said that, I've used lots of inkbirds, and as long as you replace the temp probe annually I've not had a problem. The hardware and firmware is sound.
Where do you buy the probe and how do you replace it ?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you buy the probe and how do you replace it ?
The models I'm using here (ITC308S) have the probe connected by a 3.5mm plug and jack.
Inkbird sell the replacement probes.

Or you could DIY as they are most likely DS18B20 digital probes but I haven't checked that personally.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw this one in my googling. However it only has room for a single heater... unless I can connect two in parallel. Do you know if this is possible?

I like being able to swap probes as they burn out. Thinking about this would it support dual probes in parallel as well? It doesnt make sense to me that a commercial facility would rely solely on a single temp probe.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think this probe will work with the ITC-306

I saw this one in my googling. However it only has room for a single heater... unless I can connect two in parallel. Do you know if this is possible?

I like being able to swap probes as they burn out. Thinking about this would it support dual probes in parallel as well? It doesnt make sense to me that a commercial facility would rely solely on a single temp probe.
I'm not sure. I would think so, but don't want to give you wrong information.

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco or Aqua Logic(same thing as Ranco, basically a rebranded ranco) is the best of the best in my opinion. Too many people buy inkbirds for the cheap price but you are also getting cheap quality for that price. I’ve been running aqua logic temp controllers for my 360gal system for the past 7 months now and also plugged into my hydros controller for added redundancy.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inkbirds are junk

I agree with everyone.....I have two Rancos going on 13 and 8 years each.

You can get them wired but costs more.
------------------------------

I've recently put two(close to a year) of the Innovative marine Helio units into my other tanks. One is the full heater combo and another is the standard controller. The standard controller is around $54 and has two plugs. The heater combo has two connections for their heaters if you want to connect dual heaters.

I would recommend either of those as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What goes wrong with the probes? Reason I ask is because I have been running these on 2 systems for several years with no issues
So currently the issue is inaccurate temp readings which is causing the E4 error (the temperature difference between 2 probes is bigger than 5℉) . With some testing, full power cycles etc. I believe one probe is reading about 10 degrees higher than the other and is very inconsistent with its readings.

I purchased a calibrated thermometer a while back to check values and my APEX is spot on with its readings extremely consistent. An annoying feature/ bug is I can calibrate the InkBird controllers so that temp display meets what it is in the real world to only come back 4 hours later and have 2/3 degrees variant of what it actually is. This bug has always been there and I resorted to just living with it. Until a probe went bad.

A replacement probe was only $10 with free shipping as linked above. Before I had issues I did not mind the setup. Dual temp probes, dual heaters outlets, and Wi-Fi made it a very nice product. I wished they made the probes easily replaceable similar to what the APEX has, improved the app slightly and overall increased reliability. I wouldn't mind being able to turn off a bad probe while it gets fixed. Or even being able to see the individual probe reading. With dual probes you only see the one temp. Im not saying its a bad product but with my tank value creeping into the realm of a new car price tag I don't want a bad temp controller to be my downfall.

thedon986

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at using an Inkbird again for my upcoming setup but think I will be trying the IM Helio this time. Seems like a better, safer setup overall. I use Inkbird controllers for my homebrewing and have had 1 probe go bad in 6 years and freeze my kegs.

Nutramar Foods

Joe31415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Ranco. FWIW, unlike a lot of manufacturers of aquarium products, Ranco makes actual HVAC equipment that we happen to use as well. These controllers are commonly used to regulate the temperature in big coolers and freezers. Like, the big walk in ones you'd see at a grocery store.
This controller going bad and sticking open or closed will ruin your week when it freezes or melts 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. While that absolutely happens, if it happened anywhere near as often as I hear people talking about Inkbirds doing it, the HVAC industry would have left them behind.

In fact, at one point I'd considered re-purposing a defrost timer for a commercial freezer as an AWC. It could easily be made to shut off an ATO and turn on a pair of AWC pumps for a set amount of time each day.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Ranco now, or buy one when whatever you are thinking about lets you down later. They are that good. These things should be working for you and not the other way around. Over a decade on several Rancos and no issues whatsoever. They are truly industrial grade.

The crazy thing is that they are not even expensive and people still try other stuff... amazes me. $106 wired for a lifetime piece of equipment.

CLICK TO VIEW

Malcontent

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animated GIF

Wiskey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I saw this, I just swapped out my 55G DIY sump with a 5 foot by 2 foot sump and in the process installed one of these inkbird dual probe controllers. I have the probe right next to my Apex probe, and while the Apex is reading temperature dropping from 77.8 to 76.5 the Inkbird isn't registering any difference, until it suddenly reads a 1 degree difference over 15 min and flips the heater on. Not the end of the world,.. but absolutely not working properly.

Whiskey

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back