Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning process of my build. I have done tons of research with all the new equipment. I travel a lot. And my wife agreed to allow me to do my dream tank as long as it doesn’t add to her to do list.

So I need to beable to control as much as possible including testing to properly dose so I figured the best place to find out what the real reefers thought would be here. What is your opinion not only on the product but likelihood these controllers will expand to be a true all in one controller

apex : I will be honest reading reviews and watching YouTube I am not a fan of this controller. Looks cheap compared to price. But has more expandability to do more than any of the rest. But reliability is if the upmost importance.

GHL : As a network company owner I like the design and interface. But slow release of new expansions to make this product better concerns me

Felix: can’t really find much on this product t other than from the manufacturers page.

Hydros: again cheap and I have no need for BNC connector type controller it won’t even be near my sump. Seems limited as well.

Poochaku

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you want the complete control/testing aspect, the only one is mastertronic which integrates with hydros. I have not read good things about the ion director. No one knows for sure what apex is planning to do in the testing scene but a trident 2 with nitrate and phosphate testing seems like a reasonable bet.

My preference is hydros currently. Off the top of my head, the platforms capabilities are pretty equal with apex having large volume flow monitoring and the new liquid level sensor but with hydros having TDS monitoring and rope leak detector as "standout" features. But, with the aperture conglomerate, maybe neptune will do something exciting again. There will supposedly be product news for both companies at MACNA.

No experience with GHL other than the internets impression of great hardware, terrible software and support. (in NA)

Felix looks ridiculously behind imo. Preying on freshwater aquarists who don't know the controller market.

All opinions, any of the big 3 will work fine for your dream build.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex. They are a lot more reliable than you think. I have many modules going on 10 years and zero issues. GHL is the only one that even comes close on reliability.

If you need to automate testing of more than just Ca Mg and Alk, the only option is the mastertronic. I don't really see a control scheme where the testing results would require an action to be performed for anything except dosing the big 3, so it should be controller agnostic, but if you require that ability, it limits you to GHL and Hydros.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

JawsD

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Apex users are you automating your ATO as well as AWC? If so is there a way to not make ATO not to dump R/Owater when water change is happening ? Sorry if question sounds stupid.
Also for Apex users are you using dosing pumps or the apex pumps which reviews on have been terrible.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Apex users are you automating your ATO as well as AWC? If so is there a way to not make ATO not to dump R/Owater when water change is happening ? Sorry if question sounds stupid.
Also for Apex users are you using dosing pumps or the apex pumps which reviews on have been terrible.
You can do either with ATO. If using the DOS for continuous AWC, there is no need to disable ATO while that happens since it adds and removes simultaneously sp water level doesn't change. If doing large water changes, ATO can easily be disabled.

I use the DOS pumps. They work very good and I have one that is from 2014 and another from 2017 that both work without a hitch. The bad reviews stem from the compression fitting being very particular about the tubing you use for it. If you use RO tubing, it will leak air but if you use something softer like polyethylene, silicone, or vinyl it seals just fine with a little force (and heat in the case of polyethylene).

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex, but use tunze for ato, the gold standard.
I do small water changes every couple of hours with 2 versa pumps. the pumps run constant speed/volume, one with fsw, the second removing tank water. The pump power is controlled by the apex, on for 10 minutes every other hour, about a gallon a day.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex, but use tunze for ato, the gold standard.
I do small water changes every couple of hours with 2 versa pumps. the pumps run constant speed/volume, one with fsw, the second removing tank water. The pump power is controlled by the apex, on for 10 minutes every other hour, about a gallon a day.
The apex is better at ATO than the Tunze. All that is needed is two float switches with your choice of mount, a breakout box, and whatever pump you want to use (the tunze pump is good for this purpose). It's half the price, has the capability for every failsafe the tunze has plus more, and you will actually be alerted when there is a problem.

Corals.com

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the tunze for an out of the box solution, independent of the host controller.
You are correct about being alerted though, that would be nice if the tunze has a problem

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros: again cheap and I have no need for BNC connector type controller it won’t even be near my sump. Seems limited as well.
What is a BNC connector type controller? The only BNC connectors on a Hydros are the pH or ORP probe inputs. Those are only on the X3 and X4 controllers. All others are GX12 connectors. As far is limited I am not sure what that means. I have 9 Hydros controllers in a collective and they control everything that I was controlling with my Archon and more. I control the basics such as heating, cooling, skimmer, return pump, flow pumps and lighting. I also do ATO, AWC and dosing with the Hydros. I also have it controlling my RODI and auto refill the DI reservoir and the fresh salt water reservoir from the mix tank when it is ready to use and the fresh salt water reservoir is low. Once the water is transferred from the mix tank to fresh salt water reservoir it automatically refills the mix tank from the RODI unit. All I have to do is add the salt mix to the mix tank and let the Hydros know when it is ready to use. It also controls the fish feeder. I have 4 of the controllers at the tank and 5 of them in the garage 35ft from the tank. I have 31 inputs setup and 72 outputs setup on the Hydros.

OP
OP
J

JawsD

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for you guys with your water storage tanks in garage. In the winter I can have a heater on my aTO tank and my fresh saltwater tank. But in summer time I am in Texas worried my storage water will get too hot. I don’t really want to have to install a chiller. How are y’all keeping the storage tanks from being too warm for ATO and AWC ?

OP
OP
J

JawsD

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have a drain and water lines in garage. The tank will be on other side of garage wall. I plan on installing a double gang brush plate for my waste line and running cords to run my Hydros or Apex controller to garage to automate ATO AWC as well as RO unit

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for you guys with your water storage tanks in garage. In the winter I can have a heater on my aTO tank and my fresh saltwater tank. But in summer time I am in Texas worried my storage water will get too hot. I don’t really want to have to install a chiller. How are y’all keeping the storage tanks from being too warm for ATO and AWC ?
You don't need to worry about that. Even if the water was 120F, a full day's water would equate to 0.06 watts.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you noticed I live in Texas also and have had my water storage in the garage for the 7 years the tank has been setup. I do not use heaters or any cooling in the storage tanks. I do hook up a space heater out there if it is going get below freezing but that is usually only for a night or two. The AWC changes about 1000ml at a time three times a day and the ATO probably dispenses less than that each day. I do use dosing pumps to ATO and AWC so the highest flow rate is 60ml a minute. I have heaters and cooling fans at the tank and have had no issues keeping it between 76-78 degrees year around as long as the AC unit does not crap out in the summer. It is usually around 78 most of the year except for the winter months.

C024D427-1A0A-466F-B01F-6C8F358F562A.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back