Beauty or utility: Why do you keep wrasses?

BRS

Why do you keep wrasses or are interested in wrasses?

• their beauty

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • their utility

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • both their beauty and utility

Votes: 262 72.8%
  • I'm not interested in wrasses

Votes: 15 4.2%

• Total voters

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the beauty. I haven't had the need for the utility...knock on wood. I do currently have a Halichoeres iridis that I got as a tiny 2" juvie. Because I would like to have a mandarin I will probably not replace him when he eventually leaves me (from old age I hope). The other Halichoeres that I've kept in the past were also fantastic fish (H. melasmapomus, H. biocellatus, H. chrysus, H. claudia, H. chrysotaenia)

Wrasses are the most diverse group of fish in the hobby. Their behavior and personalities are not rivaled by any other fish that I know of.

Bitcoin Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own them for three reasons;
Beauty
Utility
But ontop of all… their curiosity.

I have a total of 10 wrasses and all 10 are different. Each one even the ones that are the same species are completely different in behaviour. While yes, the ones that will eat “pests” do scavenge the rocks a lot, they each do it differently.
For example;
My Pseudocheilinops ataenia trio scavenge in a group and rarely separate. My Halichoeres iridis scavenges and checks the hole for 2-5 seconds then passes onto the next one.

To start of, we have my Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus (Who are all now in the same tank). These guys are perfect, I especially love the naokoae for 2 reasons.
1) Cirrhilabrus naokoae was the first ever wrasse species I tried outside of the Pseudocheilinus genus.
2) My current Cirrhilabrus naokoae will literally play with me when my hands are in the tank.
View attachment 2877245
Cirrhilabrus naokoae Male

Now, I have my two Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. These guys were the reason I got so interested in wrasses. First off I got my Cebu variant because of the unusual colours and pattern, you usually don’t find a fish with this pattern and even now I can’t name a wrasse that looks even remotely similar to this variant. Then the reason I got my Indonesian variant is because I loved the colours but also it really shows how much a fish can vary from region to region.
View attachment 2877243
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki Indonesian Variant.

View attachment 2877244
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki Cebu Variant.

The last wrasse for this section I have is my Paracheilinus hybrid. Originally I got this beauty for the flashing behaviour (He was sold under Paracheilinus cyaneus) and how they go from Orange to a striking Blue. This guy has only ever flashed once (He’s rather submissive to the Lubbocki’s) and when he did it wasn’t a disappointment. I’ve never been disappointed by this fish but more so shocked as when he went into my tank that’s when I got the full view of him and it turns out I have a hybrid. Of what is still unknown however there’s suspicion of a 3 way hybrid as he flashes differently to the other two in the mix.
View attachment 2877255
Paracheilinus spp. Hybrid

Now let’s go for my two Halichoeres and why I love to own them. First off, the two species of Halichoeres I have are Halichoeres iridis and Halichoeres chloropterus.

I love to own my Halichoeres iridis because he’s a beauty and always has been even from when I got him as a 1” juvenile. He’s now a 3.5-4” beast and male. This guy I love because of the patterns he holds, they’re minimal but there’s still so much colour. I didn’t buy him for his ability as I believe fish shouldn’t be brought because they do something but instead because you like them. However I do love his diet as he helps with the Chloropterus as being a hunter of the animals I don’t see in the coral dip.
View attachment 2877256
Halichoeres iridis male

Now for the Halichoeres chloropterus. I’m aware of the dangers this wrasse holds as he transitions. And actually that’s one reason I love this fish, is to watch how he transitions as I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mature male in captivity over this side of the pond. I love how they go from this stunning grey to… well, that’s one of the great mysteries. Is what a mature male actually looks like because there are photos but I have yet to find one certain colour pattern of a mature male chloropterus. I also love this guy for his hunting ability because he will sit and stare into a hole for a good 10-15 seconds whilst the iridis does what looks like a driveby inspection.
View attachment 2877257
Halichoeres chloropterus Transitional male

Now let’s do my Wrasses in the nano.

First off we have my Macropharyngodon bipartitus. This girl is a stunner and I got her because of that leopard pattern. She also helps with certain pests and helped with my Montipora Eating Nudibranch issue. She’s also a curious wrasse and she will inspect everything and anything (Even the glass) when it comes to pods.
View attachment 2877288
Macropharyngodon bipartitus Juvenile

Finally, my Pseudocheilinops ataenia trio. I actually got asked why I went for a trio of these guys. The reason why I did is because of my love for them. These guys are adorable and when they have hierarchy’s distributes they go up in the water column and have mini standoffs. These guys are my most personable and funny wrasses to watch for sure. All of them are .5-1cm long at the minute which makes them even more adorable as the eyes look way too big for their head. This species was my first nano wrasse that hit 1 year old and I unfortunately lost my first specimen in March of this year. But I’m always up for a challenge and this species really hits that for me. I also love how when they swim it’s not like how a regular wrasse swims and instead it looks like they’re gliding and glitching half way through. In fact, as I’m writing this I’m actually watching these guys.
View attachment 2877285
Pseudocheilinops ataenia Juvenile trio.

Hope this isn’t too long of an answer but in short, wrasses are a family that are very close to my heart because of the variety that is in the family.

A fellow pink streaked wrasse addict! Absolutely my favorite fish (along with my yellow banded possum) I’ve ever owned in decades of this hobby. People think they are incredibly shy, but mine swims around in the water column cruising curiously with the confidence of a fish 10 times his size. He also has been, for some odd reason, “accepted” by the mean, hateful clownfish. He is the only fish they allow in/around their layer!

I’ve been thinking of getting another one, maybe two, to make a trio. I’ve only hesitated because I’m not quite sure that we can reliably sex them, and I don’t want to run the risk of instigating mortal combat. Did you have any idea on sex when you got your juveniles? And did they manage to establish a hierarchy relatively quickly?

238F82C5-151C-4B08-9291-5468B83A10FC.jpeg

Bitcoin Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we have wrasse experts in the room, what do you all recommend for these spirorbid worms? They’re covering my glass and rocks lol. I let it go for some time as I know they’re harmless, but they’re really ugly and probably effecting my Coraline growth and look since they’re covering the rocks lol.

I also wonder if they’re filtering my water too much and competing with my corals lol.

AE120873-5A43-4665-9A82-E5AC1B134BE6.jpeg
C892E938-EEB6-43AB-89C7-C73A23BD7230.jpeg F46120E8-5C36-4F67-B401-3EF03C2BAD27.jpeg 1DA08E0B-ECA8-453C-96E2-0415B30EB75A.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep wrasses because of both reasons. Looks, utility, and overall uniqueness. They really are intelligent and inquisitive fish.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro did you take these pics lol? These are amazing specimens and must be well taken care of and must be good camera lol.
Thanks! I'm trying my best with the care (the Iridis was just transferred over yesterday so its great to see it being so confident). As for the camera its a Cannon T6 which is nothing special. The trick is post editing.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow pink streaked wrasse addict! Absolutely my favorite fish (along with my yellow banded possum) I’ve ever owned in decades of this hobby. People think they are incredibly shy, but mine swims around in the water column cruising curiously with the confidence of a fish 10 times his size. He also has been, for some odd reason, “accepted” by the mean, hateful clownfish. He is the only fish they allow in/around their layer!

I’ve been thinking of getting another one, maybe two, to make a trio. I’ve only hesitated because I’m not quite sure that we can reliably sex them, and I don’t want to run the risk of instigating mortal combat. Did you have any idea on sex when you got your juveniles? And did they manage to establish a hierarchy relatively quickly?

View attachment 2877475
I actually have had no issues with these guys. All wrasses are born females and I don’t believe these are an exception. As long as you get a specimen you know is juvenile you should be able to pair yours up. However, this is easier to do when both pink streaks are newly introduced. This species dislikes aggression and I have had issues introducing them after an aggressive fish (Best to use an acclimation box for this reason).

As for being shy, I have found as juveniles these guys tend to stick to the rocks more, my mature specimen I had used to be out and about quite regularly. These guys don’t usually go out from the rocks as far as this guy used to do.
A034D05A-DF71-4228-8A29-C06AAF39B59B.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many wrasse are simply gorgeous and provide color/shape/personality you cannot find anywhere else. If you have an open lid, beware though! Many love to leap out to their death.

Pattys

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely love to add a Wrasse, but I'm curious.. I currently have a jester goby and an orchid Dottie back. Would these guys get along?
I have a dotty back and a jester goby & a six line in the same tank

my display-tank is about 135 gallons

Tyler Flynn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2877475
Do your pink streak and possum both eat pests?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty, absolutely. Wrasses are beautiful and active, just like tangs but without any of the “demands” that come along with tangs. Utility is just a plus, I’d keep them if they didn’t do any chores at all.

I’m looking forward to adding a Rose Banded fairy wrasses in the somewhat near future. They have been a dream fish of mine for a long time, and I just can’t wait any longer haha

View attachment 2877209
That's a gorgeous fish for sure!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also curious what to be aware of when adding wrasses? Do any eat snails like trochus or nassarius snails? One person above mentioned one killing tuxedo urchin. Arrow crab etc. Ouch.
My melanurus recently unalived a large nassarius and a large turbo snail... (actually just pulled the shell from the tank earlier this evening). I will gladly replace snails periodically though because that wrasse is my most beautiful, favorite fish. :)
I also have a pretty small tuxedo urchin but the wrasse has never bothered it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back